T@B vs ?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Some of the numbers in the weight chart may be misleading.The 16' Scamps factory weight is 1750-2000 lbs. with a TW of 185/200, the Scamp 13' weight is 1200-1500, with a claimed tongue weight of only 100, but that latter number is never seen. Anyway, with a minimum of 500 additional lbs. the 16' will have a tw. over your limit.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #22

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Just a thought, and often repeated, but here goes: I think it's better to get a trailer that suits you, and meets your camping needs, rather than try to find one that works with your current tow. Tows change alot. For most people, trailers usually don't.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #23

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Well put, good advice, totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
...I think it's better to get a trailer that suits you, and meets your camping needs, rather than try to find one that works with your current tow...
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #24

Name: elizabeth
Trailer: T@B
Oregon
Hey guys...we're talking about my Volvo here... OUt of my cold dead hands!!! I'm not giving up yet!
ORshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You CANNOT go by Scamp's figures on weights OR tongue weights. My Scamp from the factory's tongue weight was 225 lbs! I've since removed my propane and havent re-weighed it.

Ok...here's my question: What is the actual TOW CAPACITY of that Volvo? What capacity does it list it for??
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Edmunds lists the max towing capacity of that Volvo (for 2015 model) at 3500 lbs. It's hard for me to picture the hitch weight being limited to such a low number. You might want to check into this. Even Subarus with their soft rear suspension allow 200 lbs on the hitch.

If it really, truly is 165 lbs, then I'd next ask the service department what the limiting factor is, in arriving at that low number. It might be something that can be modified, such as different rear struts or springs, a custom receiver that attaches more securely to the underside, etc. 165/3500 is only about 4% ratio, and that seems low even by Euro standards. (In NA, 10%-15% hitch weight to trailer weight is very common).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #27

Oregon
3300-3500lbs. PLUS every one, and Ellpea can verify as well, who knows Volvos says they are good tow vehicles. When I go to the dealer to have my hitch installed I'll ask them. It seems so strange.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #28
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORshepherd View Post
Please Know that I will l look at every suggestion you all offer!

The new T@B has a wet bath and a shower that can be used in there or outside. I'll have to look at them. Thanks for that info, Rob. I really like the Oliver and the Escape...but that TW....

MY Volvo is a 6 cyl Turbo with 300hp and 325lb torque per foot...if that's useful!
Yup! Our Nissan Van, 150HP / 180lb TQ had no problems towing our 23'.

The unrealistic tongue weigh numbers are, lets just say, highly suspect for one of the toughest, well made vehicles on the planet.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
The unrealistic tongue weigh numbers are, lets just say, highly suspect for one of the toughest, well made vehicles on the planet.
I'm sure that Volvo used that tongue weight number just to stir up conversation on forums.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #30
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
It's amazing how light the tongue weight must be on some of these larger trailers that are being towed by Volvo's!

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #31

Volvo Tongue Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORshepherd View Post
3300-3500lbs. PLUS every one, and Ellpea can verify as well, who knows Volvos says they are good tow vehicles. When I go to the dealer to have my hitch installed I'll ask them. It seems so strange.
And if the dealer, or any mechanic, tells you to ignore the specifications in the manual, ask them to put it in writing. Especially for your almost new Volvo that has lots of warrantee time/mileage left.

Better Yet, go to the source as Dealers are usually not in a position to over ride mfgs. specifications.:
http://www.volvocars.com/us/footer/contact-us

Old 07-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #32

Amazing ???? NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
It's amazing how light the tongue weight must be on some of these larger trailers that are being towed by Volvo's!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is even more amazing is that the Volvo you are showing apparently isn't in the United States, or even North America for that matter. With that left side entry door, it appears to be in Great Britain where the specifications are different..... and ignoring those specifications are not a topic open for discussion.

Apparently (in Canada maybe) some peeps do the wrong thing, and that doesn't make it one step closer to being right.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Not only that, the picture needs to be cropped so you don't waste pixels.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #34

Oregon
If you look at that rv. Note where the axle is. Fulcrum is center. Not behind center.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #35

Without knowing where the center of balance is located, visual location of the axle doesn't mean all that much. The bottom line is, based on North American towing habits, we look for and want about 10% on the hitch, mostly to prevent sway, AKA, the "Tail Wagging the Dog". From my many trips to Europe I can safely state that they tow a lot slower over there than here, where some states now allow up to 80MPH towing.

Many years ago, before I knew about tongue weights and stuff, I very carefully packed a Uhaul trailer so that it almost balanced, so as to reduce tongue weight when towing with a very short w.b. early Bronco. At any speed over about 40, once it started to sway, it was all over. Fortunately, a CHP officer saw the situation, pulled me over and even helped me adjust the load to put a lot more weight on the hitch, problem solved, lesson learned.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #36

Pixels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
IMHO: Of which I am well known to have a few, the entire pic is a waste of pixels as it adds nothing constructive to the discussion. LOL

Old 07-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #37

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Also needs to get a picture of the correct Volvo - that is not the XC70 the OP has.

Appears to be the large XC90 which even here in Canada is rated to pull 2250kgs or 4960lbs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:19 PM   #38

Apparently the XC-90 is no longer in the U.S. line up, but page 164 of the 2014 XC-90 owners manual gives a very comprehensive listing of different combinations of chassis and passenger load. Basically with all wheel drive and only 2 passengers, that trailer may be within a 5000/500 lb load limit. But they are adamant about NOT exceeding 10% of trailer weight on the tongue...
Heres a link:
http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/20...ers-Manual.pdf

But again, European specifications may be different.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #39

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Apparently the XC-90 is no longer in the U.S. line up, .
According to Volvo.com it is: 2016 Volvo XC90 and it still has a 5000lb towing spec.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #40

They may have skipped a year. I could not find an owners manual for the 2015/2015.5 XC90 on the Volvo site, but that's the only place I looked.

Soooo I went back and looked and the 2016 book was there, albeit with a much simpler chart, but the same 5000/500 weight limits.
Heres: a ling for that book: http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/20...ers-Manual.pdf

Check Page 539...
Boy, these owners manuals are getting LOOOONG, this one has 570 pages