T@B vs ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #1

Name: elizabeth
Trailer: T@B
Oregon
T@B vs ??

When I booted up this morning, my world changed.

I was "hooked" on the T@B until I saw the new Nest thread which led me to an article which linked to Happier Camper and now? There is clearly a different POV here on the T@B than on their Forums... it is a love affair over there and everyone I know who has one said the quality was very good...But I do want to hear what you all have to say.

My search though just opened up.

I am planning to stick close to the 165lb tongue weight limit on the Volvo...I am way too inexperienced (and getting older) to take risks with my car, my dogs and my people.... I am either going to the dealer or one of the indies nearby to install a hitch this week.

I DO however need a private privy...it's just something I treasure living in the First World....and I also need to be able to have warm water to wash dogs before a show on a multi-day trip.

So the Nest goes on the list (what is the tongue weight?!) and that Happier Camper is worth investigating....as well as an egg shaped camper small enough to keep me in my weight limits.

SO glad to have found this FOrum!

Liz
ORshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't think that the HC-1 has a bathroom, the last I heard it was a porta-potty module. And any 13' Egg with a bathroom is going to be tongue heavy. It's difficult to get more (stuff/features) on the inside and still have less (weight) on the outside.

One exception is the Hunter Compact-II with the optional bathroom because that bathroom is towards the back of the coach. BUT... The Hunters are all over 40 y.o., and a bit on the tight side. Here's a pic of a Hunter Compact-II Bathroom:

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Elizabeth I can't answer all of your questions, but will at least address the T@b given that we had one for 8 years and made a few cross country trips to the SE and SW both, as well as all over the northern rockies. Most of our trips tended to be between one and three week excursions and one for a full month.

For two people they are small for extended periods and as you know one has to rely on the the available campground bath and wash room for those privileges. The criticisms you have read here based upon our experience are not exactly accurate which is not to say we did not have repairs within this 8 year period, we did but there was nothing major or overtly troubling. Are they built to the same standards as our Oliver, no not even close but they do have some advantages one of the major ones being a smaller tow vehicle. Although i will say this our '04 Tundra DC pick up struggled to tow this small camper. This is not an exaggeration. So proceed with caution and pay close to attention to the ratios of HP and Torque to total weight of your TV and the T@b combined should you go this route. Suffice it to say our Tundra was a gas guzzling gutless wonder.

There were things that frustrated me about the T@b and others that we really liked. As you might guess there are always trade offs and compromises. The Nest is a really cool looking camper, expensive but for some this may be a good fit.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The Weiscraft Ponderosa can be built with a wet bath in the rear. It's very small and lightweight with small frontal area (the body is only 5' wide), so it's a good candidate for your vehicle. Made in Colorado.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #5

The Weiscraft Ponderosa, the deluxe version of the Little Joe is, infortunately, at 180 lbs., a little heavy on the tongue even when empty. Here is a link to the Specifications: Ponderosa Luxury Compact Travel Trailer for 2 - Weiscraft Trailers

Old 07-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

Oregon
[QUOTE=Bob Miller;537456]I don't think that the HC-1 has a bathroom, the last I heard it was a porta-potty module. And any 13' Egg with a bathroom is going to be tongue heavy. It's difficult to get more (stuff/features) on the inside and still have less (weight) on the outside.

I suppose I could live with a porta potty if it were mine, clean and private...
Old 07-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #7

Oregon
Please Know that I will l look at every suggestion you all offer!

The new T@B has a wet bath and a shower that can be used in there or outside. I'll have to look at them. Thanks for that info, Rob. I really like the Oliver and the Escape...but that TW....

MY Volvo is a 6 cyl Turbo with 300hp and 325lb torque per foot...if that's useful!
Old 07-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORshepherd View Post
Please Know that I will l look at every suggestion you all offer!

The new T@B has a wet bath and a shower that can be used in there or outside. I'll have to look at them. Thanks for that info, Rob. I really like the Oliver and the Escape...but that TW....

MY Volvo is a 6 cyl Turbo with 300hp and 325lb torque per foot...if that's useful!
Which model Volvo do you have?
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #9

Oregon
I have a new XC 70. V6 AWD.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bex shows a good shot of the little joe at 3.33
https://youtu.be/XxP8AqKRUeE
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I have a new XC 70. V6 AWD.
I would consider towing my Scamp13D with that.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #12

Oregon
I know!...It is a sturdy, balanced STABLE vehicle. I'll look again at the Scamp 13.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #13

Oregon
Thanks for that link, Ken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Bex shows a good shot of the little joe at 3.33
https://youtu.be/XxP8AqKRUeE
Old 07-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #14

Changing from a bathroom to a porta-potty is a sea change in selections of 13' FGRV's

Old 07-26-2015, 08:44 PM   #15

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Changing from a bathroom to a porta-potty is a sea change in selections of 13' FGRV's
But where do you put it to use it?! I'd prefer a black water tank to one of those "gas tank" things... but I gotta explore all the options.

And I do need a hot water supply that I can use outdoors...

BUt supposin' I went for that sea change....what could I look at?
Old 07-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #16

13' ers from Scamp, BigFoot, any of the orphaned 13' Eggs, Trillium, take a look in the Real World Weights listing in the General Chat forum and see what they weighed. Look at the axle weights and use 10-12% of that number for a viable tongue weight. Axle weight + tongue = total weight. Here's a link:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Porta potties usually have the tank as a part of the base. The Dometic Sea-Land is very nice, easy to empty and has a 5 gallon tank.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:52 PM   #17

Oregon
Hey, you know what?! The 16' Scamp has a lower hitch weight than the 13'...probably because the axle is more centered on the chassis.... It has a TW of 165lbs...but I don;t know if adding the bath and shower in the standard option package changes that.... I'll go look to the charts.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:09 PM   #18

Oregon
According to that chart there is practically nothing in production under 200lbs TW.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:31 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Hey, you know what?! The 16' Scamp has a lower hitch weight than the 13'...probably because the axle is more centered on the chassis.... It has a TW of 165lbs...but I don;t know if adding the bath and shower in the standard option package changes that.... I'll go look to the charts.
Adding the bath WILL put it way over your TW. After reading all your posts and wants there is really only one way for you to get what you're asking for. A different tow vehicle rated to handle trailers that will fit your wants. You can spend a lot of time trying to get ten pounds of rock candy in a five pound box. If a new tug isn't doable, maybe look into 23'-25' class C motorhomes for your dog shows. They will have everything you're asking for. Just saying.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:46 PM   #20

Oregon
The process just starting! Motor homes are a big element at shows... Thanks for looking at my posts!