TAB clamshell? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe
I think I'm in love. Just saw a pic of a TAB clamshell with the kitchen in back.
Does anybody have one of these? How does the kitchen work out being in back? Any chance of me finding a used one for $5000?
THANKS!
joy
joy mccalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi there...i may be wrong, but i think the TAB is not a fiberglass rv.....seems to me that they are made of metal...or some faux metal....so technically this forum wouldn't address this kind of trailer.....but personally, i think that you might completely reconsider your love affair if you had day after day of rain and had to keep going outside to even make a cup of tea!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Joy, I moved this topic to General Chat. The TAB doesn't fit the Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers. Not to say it's not a nice trailer, just the build type is not the focus of this forum.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Joy, your question might get a better response from a rv fourm such as rv.net trailer forum they have forums that are dedicated to rving in general versus this forum which is dedicated to only molded fiberglass trailers. You might want to check out their other forums as well.

Your new " Love " is really cute but I have wondered the same thing as Theresa pointed out about cooking in the rain, or jumping out into the cold morning to make a pot of coffee. Hope the link helps find the answers your looking for. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I think I'm in love. Just saw a pic of a TAB clamshell with the kitchen in back.
Does anybody have one of these? How does the kitchen work out being in back? Any chance of me finding a used one for $5000?
THANKS!
joy

Hi Joy, I know what you mean. They are beautiful light and also have a floor plan with a kitchen inside. They seem to be targetting the pricier market... A good website is Roaming Times. Or google teardrop trailers. They're made of wood or some kind of metal.
SherLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #6

Still learning about all this - haven't bought anything yet - be patient with me.
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Hi Joy,

I know what you mean. The T[at]Bs are really cute. But then I went on German web pages and found several issues with those not being built so good. It somehow makes sense, as the T[at]B is a Tabbert. The brand Tabbert had real quality issues in the past, back in Germany. I looked at a really gently used T[at]B before I found the fiberglass options, and this T[at]B had some of the issues listed on the German owner forums. I really think you get more value for your money going the fiberglass way.

Gerda
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Hi Joy, I have looked at those T[at]Bs too and they are really nice, but pricey. I think you will find much more room in a Casita or Scamp for the same price. Compare shop before buying. My reason for not going with a T[at]B was lack of standing room/storage room. Even though I never use my inside stove and fridge unless it rains, it sure is nice to have it inside when it does rain. On the other hand, I do haul a colman cook stove, pots, pans, silverware and dishes in a big tote that I do set outside to use in nice weather. With that T[at]B with the outside kitchen you have it all right at your fingertips, so if only wanting to cook outside and just sleep inside, the T[at]B has what you want. I just felt the fiberglass campers have more to offer for the same price or even less. Both are cute, and both are a conversation getter in a campground. Check them all out, search, study, and learn. Let us know when and if you decide on one. If you have any questions on our little fiberglass eggs feel free to ask as that is how you will learn. There is a wealth of information on this site on the fiberglass eggs.
Good luck.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #9

Thanks everybody. I'm new to all this and it's a learning process for me. I so appeciate all the info and guidance - and patience.
joy
Old 08-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: joy mccalla... Make sure to check the dry weights of trailers. They might not be realistic but I found the T[at]B to be hefty-hefty for it's size!!! Our Escape 5.0 5th. is only 2620lbs. I think.
Alf S. north shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #11

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
Joy,

I sent you a private message, but I don't think it went---so I am posting a comment here: you might like to check in on the following forum:

Lightweight Trailer Forum

It isn't quite as active as this group, but is reasonably so---and I am sure you can get an answer to your question there. I think at least one member has a Tab of some kind.

Good luck.

Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When we started looking for a light weight trailer that we could tow behind our 4cylinder Subaru, I was completely infatuated with the tab. I researched it to death, and then finally had an opportunity to look at a slightly used one. The sellers wanted $13,000. After seeing it in person, I hate to say that I wasn't very impressed. The owners explained that a number of the plastic pieces had broken and had been replaced under warranty, the materials all seemed incredibly cheap. My husband couldn't stand up in it without hitting his head on the roof. For it's size, it was rather heavy and should be towed with a V6.

We ended up buying a 1975 boler for $4,000. It has more head room, more room to walk around, and is a lot lighter than the tab. Our car has no issues towing it. Obviously the tab is modern, colorful, adorable and new (having a thermostat operated furnace would have been so nice)... but I wasn't willing to pay the extra $9,000 to own it. Also... I'm in love with my old boler. Just some food for thought. Older bolers are really hard to find, but well worth the search.

Michelle A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Michelle and Joy,

That is exactly how also I came over to the fiberglass world and ending up ordering an Escape that is just a feet longer (the 17' than the T[at]B, but has so much more to offer. I just went all the way...

Fell in love with the T[at]B at first, visually that is. Then went on forums and found people having trouble with it. Then looking at one in person and being disappointed. The fiberglass trailers just offer so much more! Joy, if I would be you, I would also opt for fiberglass. If lucky, you can find a nice one pre-owned. Just keep looking.

By the way, Joy, which ones are your favorites now? Where are you in the process of travel trailer shopping?

Gerda
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
hi there...i may be wrong, but i think the TAB is not a fiberglass rv.....seems to me that they are made of metal...or some faux metal....so technically this forum wouldn't address this kind of trailer.....but personally, i think that you might completely reconsider your love affair if you had day after day of rain and had to keep going outside to even make a cup of tea!
Rain, heck, what about bugs? The yellowjackets were active at our last campsite, and the flies and mosquitos at the one before that.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote