Tacoma 2.7 4cyl. engine - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #15
Trailer: No Trailer Yet

I tow a 19' Scamp with a 1996 Tacoma 4 cyclinder (2.4L manual). I had brackets installed to the frame of the truck. The shop that I had do mine did indeed weld it. I've restored two of these trailers and had a very good local shop install new axles on both. I talked to the installer about attaching brackets to the frame and he recommended that they be bolted to the frame. This would address concerns with rust inside the frame. I believe that this is also how true fifth wheel hitches are generally attached to the frame (the Scamp hitch is not a true fifth wheel).

As for the composite bed, the brackets can be attached to the frame and they extend up into the "ribs" of the bed (using spacers) so that the composite bed is sandwiched between the bracket and the hitch, thus protecting it from unwanted loads.

Some pictures of by installation are in the link below.

Hi Issac,

I have a dozen questions for you about using the Taco to tow your 19'. I tried to look at the pics and the link dosen't seem to be working. Is bolting possible without having to weld ? Also how do you find the towing on the highway and hills, my auto has a 2.7L and I am wondering about the power when you close to 3000 Lbs. Do you have other pics you could mail to me if they won't post ? Ok, I'll slow down and try to contain myself.

Mark McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #16
Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp

I must be link-challenged. Another way to find the post is to click on my name (Isaac M) above the picture of my tow rig (on the left), select "Find Member's Posts", scroll down until you see the one titled "SOLD: 1989 19' Scamp Fifth Wheel", click on the title of that post and it will pull up the entire posting. If you read through the posting, I think that it will answer most of your questions.

I've never bolted one to the frame, but the local installer (who does the majority of trailer frame/axle repairs, services large trucks and busses, and does hitch installations for several local RV shops) said that it would be the best method for installing the brackets. The main reason was that it eliminates any local weakening of the frame that the welding can cause.

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions. If you PM me, I can provide my phone number if you have other questions.

Isaac M is offline   Reply With Quote