Tampa west recommendations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Tampa west recommendations

As a Canadian, seeking warmer climes in winter is no easy task. Some recommend Florida, others Phoenix, Yuma, and Texas gulf coast. I'm considering a month long run with the Bigfoot from Tampa on west to investigate, thinking of mid February - March. How far I get depends on what turns up. Things to see, places to do? Any recommendations welcome.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Scamp Camp at Highlands Hammock SP in Sebring for sure if the timing is right?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #3

Name: Jo
Trailer: have ordered Casita SD 17
Massachusetts
We lived in Sarasota for 13 years, so I'm pretty familiar with Tampa and the surrounding area. Fort DeSoto Park in Pinellas County (by St. Petersburg) is a gorgeous, clean county park. The campsites are all near the water. Fort DeSoto's beach is beautiful - it was voted the most beautiful beach in the US a couple of years ago. You can visit the fort which is from the Spanish-American war (beautiful place to watch the sunset). There are kayaks and bicycles for rent and there are miles of bike/roller-blading/walking paths. If you have a dog, they have a really nice doggie park. Places to visit in Tampa - Ybor City (restored area of Tampa, where the cigar industry was based 1800/1900's), Busch Gardens (Tampa) if you like amusement parks. In Sarasota, you have beautiful sugar-fine white beaches, St. Armand's Circle (beautiful, up-scale boutiques, outside cafes -- really nice, Myakka State Park, where you can ride an airboat (big, tour-sized boat for nature tour), see alligators in the wild). The Ringling Museum in Sarasota is really worth seeing - it contains a fine arts museum, and the restored mansion was built by John & Mabel Ringling (Ringling Bros. Circus). It contains a circus museum as well. In St. Petersburg you have the Dali Museum and The Pier (shopping complex with restaurants right at the end of the pier). Downtown St. Petersburg by the waterfront is very, very pretty. Hope this helps.
Jo Agrafojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Can Am - Jo was spot on about Ft. Desoto. Not only is the park amazing with incredible views of both the Bay and the Gulf, it is just a nice park with lots to see and do there. If you go toward Ft. Myers I recommend Koreshan State Park for it's really interesting history (started as a cult campground).
Hillsborough River State Park or Myakka State Park would give you a taste of the 'real Florida" but don't feed the gators.
Marianna in the panhandle has Florida Caverns State Park (not expected, right?) and then the up to the Pensacola area for Topsail on the Gulf.
It's hard to beat those if you stay Gulf side.
Florida has some very nice State Parks all over. I am somewhat prejudiced but I can't see anyone arguing too much. A month in Florida would not even scratch the surface of the varied offerings.
Be careful if you go too far due west of Tampa cause it's mostly water between here and Texas. No suggestions there except to check your waterproofing.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
three for three---i, too, highly recommend fort desoto. also st. george island and st. andrews parks if you like beaches.

we, too, have heard that texas and arizona are superior to florida for snowbirds, especially for cost. we've only explored florida to date but welcome any additional input on texas and arizona.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote