Tarp for Shade? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Tarp for Shade?

Hello! Me and the girls are going camping with friends over Spring Break. We plan to use tarps for shade over the picnic tables and as awnings etc. What we cant figure out is if you are not allowed to tie ropes to trees, how do you support the tarps (like an awning)? We could probably park 2 vehicles the appropiate distance apart and use the minivan roof racks to create one dry/shaded areas but what about creating other dry/shady spots for the other sites? Any tips/tricks for making shade out of tarps would be much appreciated. I figure with all the prior backpackers/tent campers here I should get some great suggestions for creating shade when you cant use the trees.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Try this: ShelterLogic ShadeLogic Quick Clamp Canopy ShelterLogic ShadeLogic Quick Clamp Canopy — 7ft. x 10ft., Green, Model# 14550 | Canopies | Northern Tool + Equipment I've not used it, but I've seen it at another campsite. Seems to be just the ticket! GPS
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #3

That's great for over a table but a bit pricey. What about for creating shade/dryness over a tent though? How would you support that?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Would tent poles and rope work for you?
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #5

Tent Poles???? Can you buy tent poles by themselves??
Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #6

Name: Jude
Trailer: 1973 Honey Boler...
Alberta
Instead of putting wires, ropes or bungee cords through the holes or grommets, put a bunch of dirt or a biggish rock and create a pocket, then tie or attach your rope etc. around the pouch, that way your tarp wont tear.. I hope this make sense.
ceilityme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #7

Name: Richard & Carolyn
Trailer: 2000 Casita SD 17'
Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
I have seen references to "No Tarps" on the notice boards in some parks recently. Same applies to clothes lines so unless you know it is allowed where you are planning to go, it may be a waisted effort.
Richard
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #8

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Melissa,

found these at Campmor. Sure there are others out there.

Kelty Noah's Staff - Aluminum Pole, 28096 | Tent Accessories | Tents | GEAR | items from Campmor.

Teri
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Tent Poles???? Can you buy tent poles by themselves??
You can, yes. WalMart had fairly inexpensive ones the last time I looked. Or you might try your local Goodwill/Salvation Army/St Vincent de Paul/etc. Or even your parent's garage.

Tarps being heavy, they tend to sag in the middle. If you need to use a center pole, don't make a hole in your tarpaulin even by accident. Stick a tennis ball on the end of the pole to protect the tarpaulin.

If you use a bungee cord between your guy line and your stake you can avoid those horrible little clips that never work that well to keep your line tight. Of course there is always the venerable Taut-line hitch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ceilityme's tip is a good one to save a quality tarp but if you're planning to use blue polypropylene tarps you might as well use the grommets Imho. The tarps will be raggedy by the end of your trip in any case.

You can ask Byron: tarp camping is practically a mandatory rite of passage in the Northwest.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Consider buying a Kelty Noah tarp and a couple of their adjustable poles. You'll need four guylines and four stakes. The tarps are available in several sizes. The shape of the Kelty tarps make them much easier to set up and less flappy than rectangular tarps. Here's a link to Campmor...

Campmor: kelty tarp]Campmor: kelty tarp]Campmor:
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #11

Name: Rosie
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Manitoba
If the issue is simply <not tying things to trees> , fling water bottles tied to a long string (attatched to the corners of the tarp or even better an old tent fly) over high branches. If the water bottles aren't heavy enough, you can peg the ropes down. To take the tarp down, just detatch the water bottles. Ta-dah. Hope this makes sense, I'll see if I can find a photo...

We're fans of the kitchen tent but use the tarp method on canoe trips..
travel_buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #12

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Melissa, get four kelty adjustable poles--campmor, REI, amazon all sell them. They are great--and they fold up, they're strong, really well made. For a tarp I would get Equinox urethane coated tarps--they fold up small, last forever, don't crinkle, and are really nice. Those are on sale at all the above online places too.

The kelty poles have a metal thing at one end that goes through the tarp grommet, and nice sturdy rubber caps on the bottom. They are adjustable from 6 to 8 feet. If used properly they'll hold against high wind.

With the Kelty adjustable poles you can put two poles a little higher than the other two so your shelter "leans" so that rain will run off it. You will have to guy out each pole--with bungee cords and stake them well. You'll want the bungee cord/guylines to slant out so that the entire structure holds well. Get a bunch of bungee cords at Walmart, in camping section.
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Humm. I really, really dislike tarps. Didn't like them when I was a tent camper, won't use them now with my trailer. I'd rather use my E-Z up (which isn't) than deal with tarps, poles, guy lines and stakes. The thing I remember the most, is spending a lot of time getting it "just right," then the flipping sun would move and now most of my tarped area was in the sun... like late afternoon. If you are going to be in an area where you NEED shade all the time... I'd suggest buying something that's free standing and can be moved around. One way or the other, you're making an investment. Whether you choose to invest in tarps, lines, poles and stakes or something that I consider more "usable" is certainly your choice. I buy for now and the future, not for one trip. YMMV

I'm putting this one my Christmas list, yes.. it's a lot of money, but after seeing several in use... I wanna!

Overstock PahaQue 10x10 Orange Overstock is selling it for about $60 cheaper than Amazon right now. Melissa... it's just your color! I wish it was yellow for my trailer...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #14

Georgia
See, Donna, I am just the opposite. I dislike bulky big canopy and screen shelters and having to clean them and carry them. The Equinox tarps are top of the line, and I love the versatility. I can make anything I want out of them in any shape or form. But I come from a tenting experience of a year and a lot of research into backpacking ultralite gear. So the idea I can fold something up and it's lightweight and can serve multiple purposes is just great for me. We had a screen shelter and ditched it. Too big, bulky, and got too dirty too often, hard to clean.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #15

I know Jen, isn't great to have options and make individual decisions. I don't like the non-E-Z up either, but take it when camping in a pasture. Fortunately, I usually camp where there are plenty of trees so it's typically not a problem. But, when it is, I want something I can move around like from one side of the trailer to the other... depending on where the sun is in the sky.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #16

Georgia
Yes Donna I see your point about the trailer--I guess--although Melissa was thinking of shade over a picnic table. Nice thing about these high quality tarps (I have silnylon and urethane coated, the former are more expensive and softer/stronger) is that they serve many purposes. An a-line over a hammock. A lean to. A tablecloth. Whatever you want. I recently tried two kelty poles with bungee cords and a 4 by 6 urethane coated tarp--I just sort of pitched it vertically and slanted at the end of the picnic table. A few times I had to move the table a few inches but basically I had shade for working all day. Then I fold it up, small! Wee! I just don't know how to clean those paha que screen shelters etc that attach to small RV's. They look great in some ways, but a hassle in others. And the walmart canopies with screen or cloth sides or both, that are so popular, are really big and bulky when folded up.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #17

Choices, choices, choices. Aren't we glad. If there was one perfect solution for everyone there would be only one kind/type/size/price/usability available.

Just like molded trailers... love the one you're with!

Old 03-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #18

Georgia
Sheesh, I'm so used to Facebook I wanted to click "like" on your post but there's no like button. I agree. Something for everybody. Like the thread on potties--some love toilets, some hate blackwater toilets, some love porta potties, others hate them some love showers some think the showers have too weak a flow and are too narrow etc etc
Old 03-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #19

Great ideas, thanks! I had no idea you could buy tent poles seperately. I've never had one break so didnt think about after market replacements.

All of us (3 campsites) that are going already have those blue tarps. At this point this is just a one time deal so we dont want to spend a lot for the setup. Good hints though in case a grommet tears out!

Water bottles over tree branches, another excellent idea since we cant tie around the trees. Last time we camped here was about 5 yrs ago and they are now under new management so I'll verify tarps are still allowed.

Oh wow! That Pahaque is sweet! Going on my Christmas list, lol. It sounds like me and my teen daughter could put it up by ourselves.

Thanks again e'one! Looking forward to Spring Break, just one more week to survive, lol.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #20

Best of luck Melissa, I'm certain you'll find a workable solution. You'll be sure to post pictures of your Spring Break campout won't you