Tarpology - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2007, 12:10 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Welcome to the Tarpology information session.

Even though we here on the wet coast are accustomed to rain, some of us have developed an interest in the Ancient Art of Tarpology. There are many local indigenous solutions, using a mix of traditional and modern materials.

Tarplogy is custom-made for each situation, but there are certain principles that apply.

For example, a tarp is not -- and should not be -- a water-collector. That is the most common cause of tarp failure, when suddenly a whole whoosh of water drenches you unexpectedly, and so you say, "Stupid Tarp."

The tarp is wise, the student is always learning.

The tarp is only useful when matched carefully to the immediate geography. If, for example, your site slopes from left to curbside (from driver's side to FGRV door) and you have a firepit between you and the lake, river, or ocean, a River Will Run Through It, and there is nothing a tarp can do.

Do not ecpect too much of your tarp, or your tarplogy skills, until you have had some experience. (Awnings count.)

Lesson Two to follow.

Materials needed:
A tarp or tarp-like object
A number of sticks: we use 3 short, five tall (one modified); minimum height about 4 - 10 feet tall, sturdy and light
A way to affix the tarp&stick to a steady place: trees, into ground with tent pegs, straps, etc.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Tarp-like object: 1 old backpacking tent rainfly (ah, the stories it could tell...)
Sticks: 1 set tent poles (they snick together)
Set-up: varies with terrain, but husband is an Eagle Scout
Result: Priceless
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:28 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
<John Wayne swagger on>

Tarps are for wussies. REAL campers just get wet, and are just d*mn happy to be wet.

<John Wayne swagger of>

Roger

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Roger, I'd swear you were an Oregonian.

We don't need no stinkin' Umbrellas. Wet head IS a fashion statement.

Murphy's law always applies when setting up an awning or tarp over a campsite.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
Murphy's law always applies when setting up an awning or tarp over a campsite.
How many of us have been there!

I have sort of let tarping go with the transition from tenting. Maybe we've just been lucky and not had much rain while trailering. Okay - I did tarp the boler - but that was to keep the rain out like it was a tent.

Do a lot of people still tarp when trailering?
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:46 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Do a lot of people still tarp when trailering?
Not me.
I have used my EZ-UP 3 or 4 times, but that's about it. I don't even carry it with us most of the time and I don't carry a tarp. Stopped doing that long before the trailer. (That alternate RV would be just too heavy carrying a tarp).
Old 08-31-2007, 12:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
I still 'tarp'. I have an 18x18 thick silver tarp and lots of rope. I also have a survey stick and a bi-pole so I can poke the middle of the tarp up a good 10-12ft... I don't care how "trailer trash" it looks. I like it.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
When we were camping in Ohio few years back It was a downpour all week long.
Got a big tarp from Walmart and bunjied it to the front and rear of the trailer and over the screen room. I opened the top vent a little.
Viola! I could open the windows again! And as my friend at work pronounces that it's VI -o-la

Also I could stand under the tarp and pull off the rear window and re putty tape it and rv someting it around the edges during a complete downpour. Worked great!

Still keep it in the truck, you never know.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #9

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Quote:
Not me.
I have used my EZ-UP 3 or 4 times, but that's about it. I don't even carry it with us most of the time and I don't carry a tarp. Stopped doing that long before the trailer. (That alternate RV would be just too heavy carrying a tarp).
I looked at the EZ-up yesterday at Walyworld as they were on sale for $78. I just could not bring myself to buy one. I'm not sure I want to carry one and set it up and down all the time. I figured once I left the tenting to an egg I would hope I don't need a big screen room thing. I think I'll look for a good sized tarp some rope and some hooks and call it done. If I feel the need I'll set something up.
Dave
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:29 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'm a BBT camper (before blue tarps) but find them quite useful. When I was fulltiming, I carried several tarps, including one big enough to cover either the truck or the trailer in case of a falling branch or tree making a large hole...

In sun, if you can rig a tarp over the egg for shade, it will stay amazingly comfortable inside and will cool down quickly at night.

A tarp can be rigged as an inexpensive awning.

One way to replace a broken edge grommet or tie a rope where there is no grommet is to put something like a cork or pingpong ball on one side and tie the rope around it from the other, like Halloween Handkerchief Ghosts. Don't use a rock if it's on the underside of the tarp or when it whips around in a very strong wind you might find yourself catching the rock with your head.
Attached Thumbnails
BC_VIC_1.JPG   CO_MID_1.JPG  

CO_SOM_1.JPG  
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:42 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
One way to replace a broken edge grommet or tie a rope where there is no grommet is to put something like a cork or pingpong ball on one side and tie the rope around it from the other, like Halloween Handkerchief Ghosts. Don't use a rock if it's on the underside of the tarp or when it whips around in a very strong wind you might find yourself catching the rock with your head.
Right on Pete. I use a marble to make ties on my tarp. A 1/8th inch nylon rope works well to tie the marble.

Marbles are smooth so they don’t damage the tarp. Also, they a fairly light weight and easy to use.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:27 PM   #12

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Tarp Tip!
Get you some of this free.

Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	9847

Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	9848

This stuff is what PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric) and other contractors use as pull cord. It is run through underground conduit when it is burried. Then when its time to run the wire in the conduit they tie this on and pull the wire through the conduit. Then they throw it away! Or in my case leave it laying around on the jobsite. So if you have any new home construction happening in your area like the tract homes I work on keep your eyes open. It is strong stuff rated 2500lb? I think. I have pulled cars out of ditches with it. I have a couple miles of the stuff probably in diferent lengths.
Dave
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:53 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
Yup! Stitch it down the middle of a nylon tarp and they can be pulled tight without worring about the thing comming apart. Herb, add one of those soft rubber balls to the tip of your centre pole and no worring about rips and tears that is if the dog will let it go.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
We've had enough tarping at home (rural life in the NW) and prefer not to take them on vacation with us. Years ago (tenting days) we got one of those boxed tarps, cheap, that come with poles, including the center pole. We use to take it along but have not used it with the trailer. I guess we too have been lucky and what rains we've been in have not lasted long. There was the snow in the Candian Rockies but tarps do not hold up to snow well.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
We threaded a rope through the edge of our old tent rainfly, and slide that through the awning rail - and "viola" (good one, pjanits!) instant, cheap awning.
When we want good weather, we bring it, and it usually doesn't rain.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I am presently in Palm Springs, CA where it was 116* today and there wasn't any shade. (on edit: in my host's driveway in front of his garage) A 5000 BTU air conditioner is no match for temperatures like that. (on edit: at 12% humidity) I'd like to rig a tarp to shade a 16' trailer that is 8-1/2 feet tall, but I assume that would be a 2 person operation, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Hideaway_TV_antenna_closed.jpg  
Old 09-02-2007, 08:12 AM   #17

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
To get ropes up high, I tie the rope to one of my crescent wrenches and throw it over a branch on the backside of a tree... Pull the rope straight down and tie it to a lower branch that I can reach... My tarps are usually more than 8 feet off the ground before I stick my survey pole up in the middle....
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
it was 116* today at 12% humidity
[b]RAIN! We had a wonderful rainstorm in the middle of the night.
This morning it is 95* at 47% humidity.
The AC is working again.
tarp no longer required.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Herb, add one of those soft rubber balls to the tip of your centre pole and no worring about rips and tears that is if the dog will let it go.
Leave the ball with the dog and slip a plastic soda or water bottle over the pole end to protect the tarp

Another thing I have down with the tent poles that come to a point to go through edge and corner grommets is to drill a hole through them above the grommet level and then use a hair-pin clip from the hardware store through the hole to keep the pole attached if the wind lifts a corner...

Regarding snow or water on tarps, just get a good angle and for water, keep one edge and one corner of that edge lower than all the others.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #20

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
For setting up in sand or mud, cut a 16" section of pvc (or other pipe)for each pole. Cut one end at an extreme angle and pound into the ground as deep as you need to. Place your tent pole into the tube and then tie down the way you normally would. I use these at home if if setting up "tiki lights".
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote