Tax-Friendly Places to Retire - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Anyone looking to change a state of residence upon retirement would need to double- or triple-check information regarding tax rates, etc.

Here's a good place to start: Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine, October 2009
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
I've got a LONG way to go until I retire, but this was still very interesting to read, thanks Donna!

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
I think Kiplingers does this every so often, I remember reading a very similar article about 10 years ago when I realized I was just around the corner to retire, (gosh I loved those working days)ha ha, and they included Costa Rica and Mexico at that time pushing the servant and gardener in Mexico. Maybe the guy commenting on that read the past article and remembered it Here in Sarasota ther are quite a few folks who live in Sarasota harbor aboard anchored boats as one fella in the article mentioned. This year there was talk of charging them rent by the month. When we first moved from Massachusetts to New Hampshire in 1965 we had a neighbor who was a dairy farmer (back then there was a lot of them) and he asked me how come I moved to New Hampshire and when I responded the taxes and cheaper living and another guy got in on the conversation and said too many people down there, the old farmer looked at him and said "wasted your time, they'll catch up with you"
Not only was he right then but I suspect it will also be true for the cheap living and tax states now. All in all nothing ever goes down
Old 09-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
All in all nothing ever goes down
And that includes my WEIGHT!

But all-in-all I would never consider one place over the other as a "forever without changing place." But big bucks can be saved by being adaptable. It's when one gets to the point of finding a permanent place to live due to age or health reasons it would become even more critical. In the meantime if someone was looking for a place to live "for a while" the article makes some valid points.

I can retire in 20 months
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote