Televisions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
its in Show Low! Out for delivery!

Just in time for my first REAL camping trip this season. (I am going to Christopher Creek here in the White Mountains... leaving this afternoon... LOVE having midweek off!)

I will not have TV reception, but I will report on the picture w/dvd.. and audio quality.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Steve, I see that you found a solution. That's what I was going to suggest as well as checking out COSTCO. They sold a Magnavox 15 inch LCD with a built in DVD that was AC/DC...they may still stock those..

Old 05-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice. After coming back empty handed during my first attempt to find an AC/DC TV I lost interest in further shopping and bought the first low cost LCD set that I could find. So far I'm impressed with the relatively cheap Dynex 19". I just purchased another inverter today at Home Depot after returning the one originally purchased at Best Buy, which was not at all up to the task of powering a TV. The Home Depot purchase is a Black & Decker 400W modified sine wave inverter that can either be hooked up direct to a battery (battery clamps) or a 12VDC socket. I'm anxious to see how it works on battery power.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Check your inverter manual, my 300w is only good for 180w plugged into a 12VDC socket and 300w direct to the battery. My laptop pull's 204w

Bill K

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice. After coming back empty handed during my first attempt to find an AC/DC TV I lost interest in further shopping and bought the first low cost LCD set that I could find. So far I'm impressed with the relatively cheap Dynex 19". I just purchased another inverter today at Home Depot after returning the one originally purchased at Best Buy, which was not at all up to the task of powering a TV. The Home Depot purchase is a Black & Decker 400W modified sine wave inverter that can either be hooked up direct to a battery (battery clamps) or a 12VDC socket. I'm anxious to see how it works on battery power.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita
I did not want to use a inverter and wanted 12 volt operation and built in DVD with a digital tuner and bought mine from bundlecity.com Target has them online also.Skyworth TV/DVD combo 12 volt
Old 05-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #20

Trailer: Genesis
Here's another good TV deal with built in DVD

http://www.jujudeals.com/15”-widescreen-h...-volt-p-94.html

Old 05-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #21

BIG MISTAKE choosing the inverter and AC only TV. I tried the setup this evening and the fan noise coming from the inverter is loud. Before scrapping the idea entirely, are all inverters this way or did I just choose the wrong one?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #22

Name: Mr
Trailer: small
State
I think all of them that are big enough to power a TV are probably that way. Many smaller inverters are silent, using the aluminum housing as a heatsink, but larger ones depend on air movement, so they have fans, and they usually aren't high-end silent fans. Can you mount the inverter somewhere, like under one of the benches, so the noise isn't a problem?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #23

Quote:
I think all of them that are big enough to power a TV are probably that way. Many smaller inverters are silent, using the aluminum housing as a heatsink, but larger ones depend on air movement, so they have fans, and they usually aren't high-end silent fans. Can you mount the inverter somewhere, like under one of the benches, so the noise isn't a problem?
Thanks Paul, you gave me an idea that might work. Just so happens the refrigerator is on the other side of the wall where the TV sits and there is already a factory opening between the two compartments (service side of frig.) to allow the audio/visual cables to pass through. That might be out of the way enough to deaden some of the sound.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #24

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Arizona
Quote:
I did not want to use a inverter and wanted 12 volt operation and built in DVD with a digital tuner and bought mine from bundlecity.com Target has them online also.Skyworth TV/DVD combo 12 volt
Shane,

Which TV at BundleCity did you get and how do you like it? I'm looking for a 19" but I was hoping for a little more than 500:1 contrast.

Pat
Old 05-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #25

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
After reading the 2 pages of postings, I got to thinkin' maybe I too needed a tv for my trailer as I'm going to be doing the "Workcamper" job for the summer starting this Thursday and hopefully will have my evenings free.. I ended up going with this one:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Skywo...ci_sku=11997185

and bought the 2 year replacement warranty for $35.00. So all total, with shipping, it came to $231.93. Won't get it by this weekend, but that's ok...

I have a BOSE radio that's refurbished and about 7 years old with no problems, so I'm going to give this a try...30day return policy if I don't like it..

Anyone have this mount? http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Mounts-FLIP-...=pd_sim_dbs_e_4 and if you do, do you recommend it? I HATE the thought of putting holes in the fiberglass...but if it frees up some counter space/table space..it might be ok..
Old 05-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #26

That is the mount I used and one of the image's and reviews on amazon is mine hanging in my Casita. It is a great mount and you can adjust the "swing" tension. That skyworth is a good TV and you got a great price on it. I was looking at it when I bought mine and it was well over $300 at the time. DC is defiantly the way to go, You should be very happy with your choices.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #27

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Mine arrived just as I was getting ready to pull out5.

I have nothing but extreme Kudos for it!

1. Light as a feather.. can lift with my index finger.
2. Xlnt picture quality
3. Audio quality.. not bad. You can make basic adjustments to frequency response, unlike most of the portables I have seen, and the menu is easy to find/follow.
4. enuff in/out patch points to make everyone happy.
5. small footprint.. I am leaving mine on the stand so I can move it when I want to watch in bed.
6. remote is large and easy to use.
7. LOW POWER CONSUMPTION. I watched 3 DVDs in one nite, with only a teeny dent in my battery. (I'll have to actually measure what it uses.. or.. gasp.. read the specs)

Overall, I am pleased as punch. Time will tell about durability.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Mine arrived just as I was getting ready to pull out5.

I have nothing but extreme Kudos for it!

1. Light as a feather.. can lift with my index finger.
2. Xlnt picture quality
3. Audio quality.. not bad. You can make basic adjustments to frequency response, unlike most of the portables I have seen, and the menu is easy to find/follow.
4. enuff in/out patch points to make everyone happy.
5. small footprint.. I am leaving mine on the stand so I can move it when I want to watch in bed.
6. remote is large and easy to use.
7. LOW POWER CONSUMPTION. I watched 3 DVDs in one nite, with only a teeny dent in my battery. (I'll have to actually measure what it uses.. or.. gasp.. read the specs)

Overall, I am pleased as punch. Time will tell about durability.
I have a wide screen dell laptop that I use for TV. It seems to draw very little current but I don't do too many DVDs... mostly just for antenna, cable, or direct tv. I can do my computer work and keep a little TV screen going in one corner or make the whole screen a TV and just hot-key back and forth between applications.. The sound is not very good but the real killer for me is the inverter draw for the DTV receiver... I cant keep that going for more than three hours without having to switch batteries (deep cycle trailer batteries). The marine industry has a 12v DC DTV receiver but it is waaay costly.