Tell me about your Kindle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Tell me about your Kindle

In a couple of months, I am going to be in a very isolated area with no TV and doubtful internet coverage. Its 26 miles to the nearest town, so my "entertainment" choices are slim to none.

I have been considering E-book readers, and my research and anecdotal information has pointed me towards a Kindle.

Looking on Amazon, I was perplexed by how many there are and am surprised that they actually come with a 3-g feature at no cost.

Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" Display, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation: Kindle Store

Fulltiming does not make carrying books very practical. Is this a good way to go?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot 17 ft ('The Sea Glass')
I think it would be a great way to go if you have electricity to recharge it. I have a similar reader and have downloaded around 20 books for free off Amazon's Classical Section. It's great to be able to carry them around in such a small package. Even though you don't have TV reception, you can probably watch DVDs too.
Toni M T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:56 AM   #3

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Although I prefer the old way of reading, with pages where I can stick my fingers, this does look very handy for traveling. Books can eat up a lot of space.

I just downloaded the Kindle for Mac software (which is a free app) and one of the free kindle classics to see what it was like and I must say I'll probably keep the Mac version and use it on the road. I'm a big spender .

If I really become an e-reader, I think the battery life of a kindle, or one its the competitors, would be a real plus. They claim a month for the kindle with the wireless disabled. So, there must be a way to just enable the 3G while downloading books.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
I got my wife the 3g kindle for christmas and she loves it. She still prefers to read from a traditional book, but the reader offers a smaller, packable alternative. The books available for download tend to be cheaper than purchasing a new hardcover copy. I haven't researched it, buy I heard a news report last month about Amazon coming to a decision to allow "loaning" of the books to friends. I'm not sure how that will work. The kindle won't work for watching movies because it's e-ink is more like a grayscale. For a more universal/multi-tasking reader, a tablet pc or something like the samsung galaxy tab would be the way to go. The tab should be available with the kindle software. Some cell phones also offer the kindle reader as an app. I have a few kindle books on my Droid X, but reading uses the display, which is the worst drain on the battery. The kindle is super efficient and can go a long time between recharges.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: Chalet XL for sale. Hoping to get a Snoozy.
New York
I got the Nook for Christmas and I really love it. It took awhile to get used to the pages having only 20 or so lines, and I must admit I prefer books, but it is a wonderful addition to heavy readers. I believe you can transfer books to other e-readers, using your pc. My daughter knows how and we are going to share some books that way. If I had the money, I think I would go with the IPad which can be used for everything, including books. It also allows you to read in the dark which the Nook and Kindle do not (at lease the Nook does not). For living full time in an RV, it would be perfect - a few ounces can hold hundreds, if not thousands, of books!
Carol Marie
CarolMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni M T View Post
I think it would be a great way to go if you have electricity to recharge it. I have a similar reader and have downloaded around 20 books for free off Amazon's Classical Section. It's great to be able to carry them around in such a small package. Even though you don't have TV reception, you can probably watch DVDs too.
Gina, a couple of weeks ago a friend of my wife happen to mention a kindle, not being a reader I had no idea what she was talking about. my wife who is always reading asked her how it worked. she said download as many books as you want and start reading. It didn't take me long to visualize not loading up 100 lbs of books in the Casita and I went out and bought her a Kindle said Happy Valentines Day and her answer was I didn't get you anything, I just smiled and said this present covers us both, she loves it. Before I bought I did do a might of research, ours is the new kindle which has wifi but not the 3g (whatever that is) anyway it had excellent reviews and if she loves it I love it, and I'll save some weight and not tripping over all the books. Oh yeah a charge lasts about a month says dw.
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hi Bill, when I was in Barnes and Noble the other day they explained that if you have 3G you can download books anywhere there is cell phone service using the cell phone networks. This comes in handy when you are some place where wifi (or some other form of the internet) isnt available. If you always have internet then not a big deal but where my folks live in WY there is no internet so if they wanted an e-reader they'd need the 3G because they do have cell phone service out there.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #8

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
I have the Kindle app on my iPad, which is the 3G model. We use the iPad for navigation also. The GPS seems to be bang on. I have gotten used to reading electronic books and really enjoy it. I can turn all of the lights out and still read!
Gail
Gail & Tom O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #9

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Gina, I have always been a big reader and thought not having the tactile sensation and smells of an old book in my hands just wouldn't "do it" for me. I was wrong. The Kindle has not disappointed me at all. I use the Kindle, 3rd generation, WIFI without 3g. When I want to browse for a new book, I use my droid phone to create a personal WIFI spot and connect to the seemingly endless list of books available at Amazon.

The 3g system uses the AT&T network, at no charge, to connect to Amazon's "Whispernet" system for book browsing and downloading. The web browsing feature is OK for researching items on Wikipedea, but is too rudimentary to be very useful for surfing the web in general. If you have a favorite magazine or newspaper, you may be able to have it automatically delivered to your Kindle, for a fee.

It's nice to be in the middle of a large volume book without needing to have both hands to keep the page open. It leaves your other hand free to pet the dogs, etc. It is not back lit like some other e-books which reduces eye strain. You can easily read the Kindle in bright sunlight. For reading outside at night, I use the light that's built into the Kindle book cover.

For those of us in small FGRV trailers, having so many books in such a small package is wonderful space saver as well!
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot 17 ft ('The Sea Glass')
My reader is called a "Cruz Tablet" and has the Android App-so I can put movies and a calendar/datebook and games on it as well (it is not as expensive-or versatile-as an iPad, but I love it). I put both the Kindle and the Nook Apps on it so have different reading lists. It was a Christmas present and my tecchie husband got it for me because 1.) It was in color, and 2. )I am in the habit of lugging my laptop around everywhere and this way I could fit the whole "laptop" capabilities in a very small purse (I guess he was tired or pushing the big backpack out of the way every time we travelled....)

Cruz Tablet 301 - Android powered Tablets and eReaders

You can download Nook books from the L.A. County Library system for free! However, they "go away" after your checkout time is over (about 3 weeks). I have not bought any "best sellers" for it yet-as I figure for $8-12 I would rather have a physical copy of the book to trade or share with my friends, but I too would like to clean out my book case and cut down on the physical clutter of having piles of paperbacks lying around so that may change soon!

One of the huge bonuses of the E-reader (in my opinion) is that you can adjust the print size. I am over 40 and probably should be carrying around reading glasses everywhere I go, but I can't bring myself to wear them around my neck on a chain and thus rarely have them on me. It is so nice to adjust the print size exactly to the one that is right for me

Good luck in your e-reader search!
Toni M T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #11

Registry
well, I will be honest, I *Say* I am not much of a reader, but I read lots daily via web pages etc. The content doesn't matter.. news group, blog or research.. its all reading.

I have carried the same two books with me for 2 years now and just finished one the other day :-P Where I was last summer was sans tv signal, but I had signal for my aircard and wasted my off hours surfing. I may not have that option this year, tho I will surely miss the instant interaction.

Sounds like the Kindle is the way to go! Recharging is not an issue, I am a traveling power plant. I seem to have gotten along well for the past year without hook ups, I will do well continuing the tradition. This is one of the many reasons we all have SMALL rigs!

Yes, I can watch DVDs, but not being close to a source for them, including a post office box to get netflix movies, it will have to be a Treat" nite to watch one I haven't already seen a zillion times.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #12

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have a Kindle and an iPad and prefer the latter as better reception for the 3G, better at everything else, and nearly as good at reading. Battery life is much worse, though. The Kindle will keep a charge for at least a week with wireless off (longer if you aren't using it.) The iPad won't last a day on 3G with heavy use. But I like reading on the ipad just as well.

But if you can't get reception for your laptop you probably won't get it for anything else- although I find I get better reception for the iPad than for my AT&T cell phone, go figure.

Anyway, the Kindle is okay, stores lots of books, light, easy to use outside if you like to sit outside and read (minimal glare but none is not accurate, with any focused light there is glare.) It isn't good as a web browser, way slow, won't load everything, etc. But Amazon has a 30 day return so if you buy one and decide it won't work, send it back.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I am reading a book on the iTouch. I am not enjoying that, except when I ride the EL into the office. Just too small, even for my new glasses.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #14

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
It is not back lit like some other e-books which reduces eye strain.
The iPad is bright but the Kindle App allows you to dim it down and there is no eyestrain.
GailO
Gail & Tom O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
I, too, got the Kindle for Christmas---and I LOVE it! I can change the font size for easy reading, and because I like to read in bed, it's so much easier to maneuver than a book. I can lay on my side and "flip the page" with a thumb! I'm so happy Hubby got it for me!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
Hi Gina! I ordered a Nook 3G reconditioned from B&N website for same price as Kindle WiFi. I am living in a 10 x 12 room right now so trying to find a way to get new books without taking up space. I also have the Kindle app on my laptop and Nook app on my iPod touch. Two things to know about this experience:
1. 3G only connects to the store site on Nook so check if that is also true on the Kindle.
2. Library loaned e-books and Google books are in Epub format, not recognized by Kindle. That is why I have decided not to get a Kindle until they change that limitation.
I really liked my Nook (first time I played Sudoku and I found it addictive!) but sent it back. I decided to spend the money on a new laptop and use the Kindle/Nook apps for now. I have been looking at the cruze tablets also because of color and more diversity of formats recognized. So far, the color devices have much shorter power spans, i.e. need recharge sooner.
Anne
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #17

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The Kindle 3G has a web browser (slow and clunky, but you are not limited to their store.)

I agree on library books, Kindle won't read them, but as I have an alternative for those I don't mind.

My main argument for Kindle, though, is future support- I would guess the Kindle format will still be read on new Kindles for many years, based on likelihood of Amazon's continued existence and the huge success of the Kindle. I don't want my books to go defunct when the technology changes or a company goes bankrupt.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
We took our Kindles to China last summer. At one point a guide mentioned that if we really wanted to know what the cultural revolution was like we should read a book called "Wild Swans". I was able to download it that night from my hotel room and discuss it with him two days later.
Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Gina, I was looking into reader a few weeks back and all the research I found seemed to confirm that if you are wanting just a reader then the Kindle was the hands down fav but if you wanted a pad that does it all, then the IPad was the better way to go.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #20

Registry
nah, don't need a pad. I have 2 laptops and left my "Mobil Device" prison on the table when I left the corporate life.

I ordered the Kindle 3g based on what seems a unanimous vote for it, and I downloaded the free software for my laptops so I can be somewhat familiar when the actual Kindle arrives.

Thanks for all the input!