Tell me about your screen house! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Tell me about your screen house!

I am still researching/looking for my tow RV, but also thinking about the items that make life comfortable. I love the outdoors and am a former backpacker/ultralite canoe camper, but my netting bug suit went everywhere with me as bugs, skeeters and no seeums just love me! With my bad back I can no longer wrestle with heavy items or that take a lot of set-up and tear-down, so I will possibly be looking at the lightest weight possible instant setup screen house. Also will possibly be giving our 3 cats outdoor time in it. SO...what screen house do YOU use? Advantages? Disadvantages? What would you replace it with?
Old 03-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
South Carolina
Registry
I have a CLAM. Search for it on youtube... it goes up in just a few minutes. Can be done by one person, but way easier with two. We really like it! Only bummer is that it collapses into a carrying case that is 6 feet long. It does fit in the floorboard of our Casita Spirit Deluxe.
GerthT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #3

Name: Barbara
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Quebec
Trillium 4500 screen room

Fortunately our 1977 Trillium 4500 came with the original screen room, in really good condition. It attaches directly on to the trailer, with screens on all three sides (that can be closed against rain), and with a neat skirt that snaps onto the base of the trailer to seal against mosquitoes flying in from underneath the trailer. It allows us to keep the door of the trailer open for super ventilation in all weather and gives us a whole other room. It fits the standard picnic tables at campsites (but it's tight). We love our screen room - but it takes two to set up. Store the metal poles in plumbing tubes that are fastened on the back bumper of the trailer and the rest gets folded up and stored inside the trailer. Wouldn't enjoy our camping experience as much without it - we are so lucky to have it!
BarbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I use the Clam as well. Holds our Golden Retriever very well, so long as we are in site of her. We go about our business around the site and she is very comfy. Nice when it is damp and drizzly, we all do not have to be stuck inside camper. Good Luck, Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #5

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
We spent the extra money to get a Eureka Northern Breeze. I can't say enough about it. It's not terribly light, but it's indestructible, operates as a screen house but becomes a waterproof tent when raiining. It's large enough to go over a picnic table, warms up nicely with a heater when the walls are down. Not cheap, but very practical.
http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Norther.../dp/B00Y099ERC
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
We have the E-Z UP Swift Instant Shelter Canopy, 10 by 10', Blue and E-Z Up Screen Room for a 10'x10' Dome or Sierra Instant Shelter. You need both. One is the tent/frame and roof, the other is just the screen around the frame. We bought the roof/frame from K mart on sale for 60 bucks or so, so we bought 2. One busted because I got careless, but I use it for spare parts.

Very easy for 2 peeps to put up. Very durable and can withstand some degree of wind, but not strong wids or storm level winds.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Mitzi,
I have the smaller, 4 sided Clam Traveler, and the bag is 54" long by 7" in diameter, and weighs about 20 pounds. This is it:
http://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporati.../dp/B00TMBEMQ6
It was daunting to set up (in my living room) but I'm sure that will get easier. The quality is excellent. And, it fits back into the bag with room to spare.
I spend most of 5 months on a mountain top (it's a job), and last year I was unable to do anything outside for most of the season due to a massive population of Yellow Jackets. They can severely limit your outdoor enjoyment.
So, I can only say that it's well made and it breaks down quickly to fit into a fairly small package. I bought the optional side panels, and I will use this as a rain/wind/sun shelter and shower house, as needed. I'm looking forward to a comfortable season this year.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #8

Florida
With my bad back and inability to lift my 35 lb Tent Mahal anymore (Eddie Bauer 9x12 ft tent with power port) I don't see the 34 lb clamshells as an option. The 20 lbers, maybe. Need good quality but also to fit into my ultralight lifestyle.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #9

Name: Teri
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 11
North Carolina
Clam all the way
teri s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We have an REI screen house that has seen us through quite a few years of service, from our Scamp days to Casita days and now our Oliver. It's 10X10 and 13 lbs.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #11
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Another vote for the 4 sided Clam Travler! Big enough for 2 people and their stuff to enjoy with room to spare yet packs small enough to store in the back of the Parkliner closet.
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Paha que.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #13

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
We have the 6 sided Clam-easy peasy to put up and take down.
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I also bought the bigger Clam, but in retrospect I wish I hadn't. It's so long when folded, it's inconvenient for me to pack along. I spotted this one the other day and am wishing I had it instead: SportCraft 8 ft. Pop Up Screen Room With Floor
It is one of those lightweight things that springs up almost by itself. There's a youtube video of it being put up and taken down:

I also have this small spring-up dome screen room by Genji that's just tall enough for me to use while sitting in a folding lawn chair. It provides very little shade, but it only weighs 6.5 lbs with the optional rain fly and stakes in the bag, and it packs to a 22" disc. Here's a link: Robot Check
Here's a video of it being taken down:
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:32 AM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
Paha que.
Ditto. After looking at the various alternative two years ago we settled on the the 10'x10' paha que and it is excellent. Thoughtfully designed, well fabricated. Stores in a duffel that is easy to pack and handle.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I too have the Clam Screenhouse, now called the Quick-set Escape. Lots of great stuff to say about it. Super easy for one person to set up very quickly, good quality construction, easily holds a large picnic table. Great shelter for sun, rain and bugs.
Quick-Set Traveler Outdoor Gazebo

We also have a 3 pack set of wind panels to close in for the wind, or even driving rain. I must admit though I like the idea, fortunately we have not had need of them in the year we have owned it.
Green Wind Panels

I do also wish it was a bit lighter, and more compact, but you would not get the features that make it so great. We take ours when we think there will be a need, and if there are lots of others going with us, as there usually is.

Though not cheap, this shelter is very much worth it for both feature and quality.

That said, once I retire and travel on extended trips, I will not be taking it with just the two of us, The Clam Quick-Set Traveller is the one I am most interested in, knowing the quality of the one we have. If needed, it is a great size for my wife and I to set up a couple chairs and small table in.
Quick-Set Traveler Outdoor Gazebo
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #17

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I also bought the bigger Clam, but in retrospect I wish I hadn't. It's so long when folded, it's inconvenient for me to pack along. I spotted this one the other day and am wishing I had it instead: SportCraft 8 ft. Pop Up Screen Room With Floor
It is one of those lightweight things that springs up almost by itself. There's a youtube video of it being put up and taken down:

I also have this small spring-up dome screen room by Genji that's just tall enough for me to use while sitting in a folding lawn chair. It provides very little shade, but it only weighs 6.5 lbs with the optional rain fly and stakes in the bag, and it packs to a 22" disc. Here's a link: Robot Check
Here's a video of it being taken down:
These are the types of playhouses. We bought for our grandkids 18 years ago! I knew there was a fairly large screenhouse available at that time and actually saw it being used in Canada about that time, but the larger configurations tended to sag at the top. I know that this is not a particularly sturdy house, but with just us two mature travelers and possibly the 3 cats, this looks to me like a good dip your toe in thr water kind of choice.
Mitzi Agnew-Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #18

Tennessee
If anyone wants to save a couple of bucks:

After reading about the Clam Traveler, I just now (3/20/2016) bought one, with 2 side panels. Both brown. Amazon price $299.99 + $@9.99 for two side panels.

I purchased from:

Reed Family Outdoor Outfitters

www.reedssports.com

Paid $179.99 for the Clam Traveler and $29.99 for 2 side panels. No tax, but $8.10 for fed Ex shipping.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #19

Name: Jim
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Minnesota
We have used several screen tents, from $89 - $280 none lasted more than a couple years, and all very difficult to put up. Having tent camped for 30years before the scamp have made several shelters and they were no the best. Seeing a lot of clams in campground started asking questions, all talked about ease of set up, weather worthiness, and durability. We decided on a Clam Pavilion, or should my wife decided after my grumbling about the price she went on Amazon's warehouse site and found one for just over $300. The pavilion is 12x12 with attached wind panels, have set it up once inside and took about 3 minutes, reading looking forward to using it with our cats while camping. Have learned never turn a wife loose on Amazon when you say something cost to much. This site is wonderful, learn more from it every day.
minnfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #20

Tennessee
The Amazon price for the Clam Traveler is $219.99 +$29.99 for a pack of 2 brown panels. Sorry about that.