Tell us about Florida - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Florida Agriculture

Alf,

Number 1 export from Florida is Vegetables and Melons followed by Citrus. These two groups represent 40% of their agricultural products. Cattle and cattle products represent another 10%.

Just about everything else is grown somewhere in the state, though I've never seen wheat or soybeans grown here.

Apparantly there are three harvesting periods. The commercial crops are being harvested in North Central right now and I assume will be fully picked before the first frost. More southerly there are three harvests of different types of oranges with the last ending in April or so.

The fruits and vegtables are worth the visit alone. On our way to the Escapee park in Wauchula tomorrow we plan to stop at Parksdale Farms in Plant City (their water tower looks like a strawberry). The area is famous for strawberries and we use it as a break in this 100 mile trip.

When we stay in Wauchula we typically pick strawberries every other day, usually 5 pounds a picking. Half never make it to the rig.

We do love FL

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Honestly, there's a lot to explore here.
Inland, you'll find beautiful lakes, rivers, and amazing springs. In the winter, the manatee gravitate to the springs and inland waterways for the warmth. The interior campgrounds of Florida, though amazingly different from the shores, are also lovely.

Yes, those of us who've been here for a few (years or decades) are likely to be seen wearing parkas and long pants while the Northern visitors romp around in shorts and tee shirts, or even (brrrrrrrrrr) swim in the sea, but, you know, it is what it is. As a kid, I dove into 60 degree lakes. Now, I'm really picky about getting wet in water less than bathtub temp. Yes. I'm spoiled.

Still, we've had friends who were very disappointed when they came to Florida to camp in January, and found cool temps. Friendship, I think, warmed it up, but still, no one can predict the weather....

Enjoy your visit. We welcome you here in the "Sunshine State."
Sherry

Old 12-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #17

Florida
Registry
By the way, exports don't tell the whole story.
Florida is a major dairy and beef state, for our region.
We produce about 60to 70 per cent of the citrus grown in the United States, as well as a large percentage of other fruits and vegetables.
Often overlooked, because of our beaches and palm trees, farmers are truly important here.
Sherry
Old 12-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #18

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The fruits and vegtables are worth the visit alone. On our way to the Escapee park in Wauchula tomorrow we plan to stop at Parksdale Farms in Plant City (their water tower looks like a strawberry). The area is famous for strawberries and we use it as a break in this 100 mile trip.
Norm, you should stop by BATES RV and check out the vintage Airstream Village they have. There are five or six vintage Airstreams that they use as external offices during the busy season. That's where the Airstream Ranch is located on I-4 just east of Tampa.

D*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #19

Florida
Airstream Ranch at Bates

We did stop by at Bates when we considered purchasing an Airstream and did look at the vintage Airstreams. Besides being very expensive, they are heavy and would have required us to purchase a new tow vehicle.

We also have visited a company in SC that rebuilds Airstreams.

Always fun to look.. I's also fun to go thru Lazedays used trailer lot.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #20

Florida
Registry
If you're going to be around, the January Tampa RV Supershow at the fairgrounds is always fun. It's huge, though last year was not a big as other years. We dry camp in the parking lot, for five or six dollars. Normally, a one day admission includes a free ticket for another day. Not much for molded fiberglass, but a lot of good ideas, and it's always interesting to see the new models. Starts January 11.
Florida RV Trade Association - 2012 Florida RV SuperShow
Old 12-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #21

Name: Jo
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Texas
Registry
Wow, Noreen, what a trip! We have had various bikes over the years..beginning when I was 14 and the old guy was 15. That was a Mustang and I had to hold out my legs, because there were no pegs, etc. I still have the faint scar, from burning my leg on the exhaust. Through nearly 50 more years, we have had moto-cross bikes, dirt bikes, street bikes, four wheelers and a Kawasaki Mule. Our last street ride was big beautiful Honda. We rode it down the mountain, from Ouray, Co., in a sleet storm and I proclaimed my retirement from street bike passenger. Since we have the little "egg" now, and we sold the Mule, we are thinking older Jeep, that we can just leave at the cabin in Co. I think that if you are a camping, off the main road type, it never really gets out of your blood. Nothing exciting about an ole' motel, but ah-h-h, you never forget sitting by the fire, with your morning coffee, nestled between beautiful Colorado mountains. JO
Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #22

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
I lived in four places in Florida when I was a kid: Bradenton, Starke, Kissimmee, and Miami in the space of 2 years...1945-1947. Naturally nobody had ac then. Our shoes would mildew overnight. Too much heat & humidity. My wife & I went there in the winter of 2000. The entire time away from home including travelling both ways was TWO WEEKS. That's how much we didn't like it. Vowed never to return. Every other winter since 1995 has been spent in Arizona.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #23

Florida
Florida RV Show

Sherry and Paul

We've been to the FL RV show; it's just short of overwhelming. We enjoyed it but I understand you know have to prove you can do that much walking. We were beginners at the time and learned a lot.

RGRugg,

We love Florida and love Airzona as well. Every state has it's wonders. I'm certain I could live in everyone of them and find new things to do regularly.

Now that we're in central FL we'll being going to the FL Flywheelers to see their winter display. The FL Flywheeler shows are just as amazing as the FL RV show with over 13 miles of booths. It's more than a one day event and camping with water and electric is available. If you're in FL and like stepping back a little it's well worth the trip.

Safe travels and we'll be in AZ soon enough finding the good mexican restuarants.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #24

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Sherry and Paul

We've been to the FL RV show; it's just short of overwhelming. We enjoyed it but I understand you know have to prove you can do that much walking. We were beginners at the time and learned a lot.

That's where the dry camping and the two day pass is great. Split the grounds, take your time, and enjoy the exhibits and sunshine.

Sherry