Temperature is relative. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 07:30 AM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question so I will do so but if I need to start a new thread, please forgive me! I hate the hot weather. There...I've said it. Hate the bugs. I will probably do much of my camping in the off-season. Should I be out in the wilds of the northeast and encounter snow, what should I do? Seems towing in light snow could be problematic, right? Advice anyone? My two favorite trailers, at this time, are the Lil Snoozy and the Oliver. I know... apples to oranges, but both have their plusses and minuses. Plus a stinker of a price difference!
Watch out for the snow fleas !! . We towed our trailer from Southern Illinois to central Wisconsin in a snow storm that dumped over a foot of snow . We encountered no major problems plus there was little traffic to contend with. We did have to slow down due to road conditions. We travel with a snow shovel during snow season . Had to shovel out our campsite on several occasions. We have snow cover 6 months out of a year and life goes on as usual.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #22

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Bernese,

Speaking of BUGS, we found a nice magnetic closure screen door (they come in black, white, and I'm not sure what other colors) for about $8 (free shipping) on e-bay. We ordered two and will install one on the trailer door soon. Hope it works, but regardless, it'll work better than nothing with the door propped open.

eBay: magnetic screen white (sort by: price with shipping, lowest to highest)

(We don't have A/C. We do have a Fan-Tastic Vent fan, which moves the air pretty well. You can feel it swirling past, and it works better with things wide open.)

It's designed for house doors, so I'll have to take up the hems a bit.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #23

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
I am not sure I would have much to talk about if I didn't live here in Ontario!
It seems like every conversation I have these days is centred around the weather. We have had a really warm and dry spring. Unusually warm in April too. I honestly prefer temps in the 20s (70ishF).
I enjoy the warm summer days much more than the cold winter ones though (especially as I get older). Although, this past week we have had a couple of days in the 80s already and that just seems to drain the energy out of me. It might be easier if my workplace was air-conditioned but we only seem to care about heating the building (ironically, they just shut the boiler off in May).
Heat in the summer is a big reason why we travel too. I love spending the summers in the Maritime provinces - the weather is almost always perfect. I love Newfoundland too, never too hot to go for a hike. The last two times I have been out there I have still found snow in July! (Usually in L'Anse aux Meadows).
But like I said, at least we always have something to talk about, or whine or speculate....
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #24

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Snow fleas! WHAAAAT? I've lived in the northeast as far north as Maine but never heard of snow fleas. Guess I'm not safe anywhere!
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #25

Delaware
Thanks, Kathleen. The two trailers I've chosen as my favorites have screens on the doors. Doesn't really help if I'm in and out all day with the dogs. Bound to let some nasty bugs in to camp with us.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #26

Delaware
So true. Anyone spending time outdoors, whether hiking, beaching or camping, is fixated on weather conditions. I have big furry dogs so am hyper vigilant about ticks, fleas and anything that makes them or me uncomfortable. I just moved to Delaware last year and there's a new bug for me to worry about...Chiggers. We all had nasty bites from these stinkers last summer. What the heck???? OK, so maybe I need to consider myself a "glamper". Perish the thought!
Old 06-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #27

Delaware
Thanks, Steve. Did you use different tires on the trailer for snow conditions? I have a 4WD SUV that performs admirably in the snow but not sure how a trailer would. I guess I'll just take the plunge and buy one! Each of my favorites takes about 5-6 months to build so I'll pick up in dead of winter. OR---camp out at one of the factory parking lots for the winter!!!
Old 06-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #28

Delaware
OK, Jay...count me in. Hopefully, next summer Newfoundland! Always wanted to visit.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:07 AM   #29

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It was a nice day for going to the beach here. A strong breeze kept it cool. The sailboats were out in force, there were quite a few wind surfers taking advantage of the small wave the wind was kicking up. Fortunately for me there is a small sandy public beach with a lovely view of the Olympic mountains just beyond the water. It only 30 steps across the parking lot from where I am working on renovating the Campster. Just 10 seconds away from a mini vacation tomorrow whenever I get fed up with trying to remove rusted bolts and chipping out the rotted section of the old plywood flooring.

I don't need to do a lot of traveling in the summer time although it is fun to visit some of the local areas nearby.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:23 AM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
Thanks, Steve. Did you use different tires on the trailer for snow conditions? I have a 4WD SUV that performs admirably in the snow but not sure how a trailer would. I guess I'll just take the plunge and buy one! Each of my favorites takes about 5-6 months to build so I'll pick up in dead of winter. OR---camp out at one of the factory parking lots for the winter!!!
NO just standard ST trailer tires. LIving in the Northern Midwest many of my neighbors go South in the Winter and tow a trailer , none that I know of use snow tires . I went elk hunting this January in New Mexico and ran into snow on the way home . If you know how to drive in snow , then you can do it . If you never driven in snow or there is freezing rain or high winds then that's a different story. ( THINK ATLANTA)
Coming back from Florida one winter my truck overheated because the whole front grill was coated in ice and blocked off the air getting to the radiator . We pulled into a State Park in Illinois and the Park Ranger had to plow us out a campsite , same story when we got to Wisconsin. We made it home safely , it just took a little longer.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #31

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
NO just standard ST trailer tires. LIving in the Northern Midwest many of my neighbors go South in the Winter and tow a trailer , none that I know of use snow tires . I went elk hunting this January in New Mexico and ran into snow on the way home . If you know how to drive in snow , then you can do it . If you never driven in snow or there is freezing rain or high winds then that's a different story. ( THINK ATLANTA)
Coming back from Florida one winter my truck overheated because the whole front grill was coated in ice and blocked off the air getting to the radiator . We pulled into a State Park in Illinois and the Park Ranger had to plow us out a campsite , same story when we got to Wisconsin. We made it home safely , it just took a little longer.
Thanks, Steve. That helps me. Without weather drama, what fun would camping be???? I've seen many storms and suffered through the big one (Sandy) in NJ. Without power for almost 3 weeks. Would have been nice to have a trailer at that time to cook a hot meal. We had 2 wood-burning fireplaces so grilled a lot and kept warm. Also had hot water so I entertained all my friends with showers and hot meals. Very cozy! Looking forward to the same cozy feeling in a camper.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #32

Registry
Weather and BUGS: This is regarding BUGS:

Long-term treatment for BUGS in the camper and on the pets:

Diatomaceous earth.

NOT the kind for swimming pools.

It will kill all fleas and ticks and chiggers and other creatures with hard shells but it's not instant. Still, it WILL work.

Prevents infestations that go on and on.

You can dust in on the dogs, you can eat it if you want (it's the tiny skeletons of ancient diatoms, sea creatures that leave behind all their calcium in the form of chalk).

Just don't breathe in the dust or let your dogs do it, and don't get it in your eyes, although it won't blind you unless you go wild. Use it the same way you'd use flea powder or talcum powder. Sprinkle and brush it into any carpeting. You can vacuum over it and only reapply once every few vacuumings.

Two years ago, after a decade without fleas, we got an infestation, and tried EVERYTHING. The vet was helpless against it. It had gotten into our carpeting, furniture, house...everywhere. We used bombs, sprays, flea dips...nothing worked. Finally we tried diatomaceous earth--the web site (information only, didn't sell it) said, "You can RELAX. They won't be gone today, they won't be gone tomorrow, but they WILL be gone, you can count on it."

I think we'll dust some under the mattresses before we take our first trip with the amerigo...brush it carefully into the crevices in the floor...a simple, non-toxic precaution.

You can get it at nearly any hardware store. Just be sure to get either the "food-safe" or non-swimming pool kind, as the pool kind has some other chemicals in it.
Attached Thumbnails
013 - Copy (2).jpg  
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #33

Delaware
Thanks...will use this. I remember someone else telling me about it. Dogs are getting shaved this week so it will be easier to spot "critters" and allow spot on treatments to spread. Ticks are very bad this year as temps are cooler and lots of rain fall.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #34

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The Caravan members here in Newfoundland are generally bundled up yet we're often surrounded by locals often with a t-shirt and sometimes even shorts on.
Well, I don't know if Temperature is relative but I know that humidity is

...and that both are relevant.

And knowing that I would be using the A/C on my Scamp very soon, I tested it this week. The compressor came on but no fan and no air blowing. Here is why:
(By the way, this obstruction was constructed in under a week).
Attached Thumbnails
AC Problem2.jpg   AC Problem3.jpg  

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #35

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

And knowing that I would be using the A/C on my Scamp very soon, I tested it this week. The compressor came on but no fan and no air blowing. Here is why:
Aw. Did they hatch?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #36

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Long-term treatment for BUGS in the camper and on the pets:

Diatomaceous earth.

My daughter had a mysterious infestation of fleas in her house that was uncontrollable (she has two cats, but they are indoor cats), and no one could determine the source.

She tried everything, bombs and sprays and various organic solutions. She put her living room furniture on the curb and gave it away.

What actually solved her problem was BORAX. She was told to sweep it under her baseboards, and she observed fleas flipping out and rolling around in reaction. It took several weeks, but they were eradicated and have not come back.

She swears by Borax!

As to where the fleas came from, we did read from one source that the eggs can lie dormant for long periods of time, and then "awaken" with temperature or movement disturbance. It's possible they were in the house sometime in the past, and "woke up" when she appeared with her cats. I haven't looked this up and won't confirm it, just passing it along as possibly helpful info.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:56 AM   #37

Registry
Borax is effective, but can be toxic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
My daughter had a mysterious infestation of fleas in her house that was uncontrollable (she has two cats, but they are indoor cats), and no one could determine the source.

She tried everything, bombs and sprays and various organic solutions. She put her living room furniture on the curb and gave it away.

What actually solved her problem was BORAX. She was told to sweep it under her baseboards, and she observed fleas flipping out and rolling around in reaction. It took several weeks, but they were eradicated and have not come back.

She swears by Borax!

As to where the fleas came from, we did read from one source that the eggs can lie dormant for long periods of time, and then "awaken" with temperature or movement disturbance. It's possible they were in the house sometime in the past, and "woke up" when she appeared with her cats. I haven't looked this up and won't confirm it, just passing it along as possibly helpful info.

That sounds just like the infestation we had fall/winter of 2014.
Maddening. Diatomaceous earth would have killed those fleas as they hatched--borax will, too, you're right.

And, yes, flea eggs can lay dormant for a surprisingly long time.

Many years ago we discovered Borax.

YES, it will kill the fleas and prevent further infestations. HOWEVER, it can cause long-term damage to eyes. Keratoconjunctivitis sicca with melanin deposits. That is chronic dry eye with dark spots that obscure vision permanently. Our male pug developed that when we put Fleabusters powder (basically borax) on our carpet years ago. The vet explained it to us. It is also toxic if licked or eaten.

Borax will kill sweet ants very effectively, too, and is the basic ingredient in professional exterminators' gel, a combo of Karo syrup and not too much borax. The ants will take it back to the nest where they all eat it and die.

You can use a dilute form of liquid borax (boracic acid, I think it's called) in eyes to cleanse them from some infections, but in some pets, pugs in particular, it will cause permanent damage including ulceration. We learned to just give it a miss.

Therefore, we prefer diatomaceous earth. It is as effective, but isn't toxic. It will cause temporary problems if you get it in your eyes (or your pet's eyes) but will rinse out. You can't breathe it in any more than you can talcum powder OR borax. Talcum powder is not calcium, isn't edible, and now has been found to be a factor in ovarian cancer.

I guess the best choice would be a quick kill with borax, followed by careful, thorough removal of the borax and a dusting and brushing in of diatomaceous earth to leave down long-term.

BTW: it is well-known that once diatomaceous earth gets wet, it loses its effectiveness against fleas. HOWEVER, as soon as it dries out again, it is effective again. It is microscopically sharp, and scratches their exoskeletons as they move across it, and they seep liquids and dehydrate--that's how it works. (Horrible to think about, so I try not to.)

YMMV
Old 06-07-2016, 12:59 AM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

Ohhhh! Look at that! Don't want to know what you did with it unless you set it free...darn little pests. But cute.