Temperature is relative. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Temperature is relative.

The Caravan members here in Newfoundland are generally bundled up yet we're often surrounded by locals often with a t-shirt and sometimes even shorts on.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The Caravan members here in Newfoundland are generally bundled up yet we're often surrounded by locals often with a t-shirt and sometimes even shorts on.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Totally relative! When I was visiting Ireland I was chilled, but locals there told me that when temps surpassed 69 degrees, they broke out their shorts and thongs!
Old 06-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I was in Ketchikan Alaska a few years ago and the stores had been closed the day before because of the excessive heat. It had been 70 degrees the day before.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I mowed the lawn this morning wearing a T shirt and shorts.
It was 49 deg F and cloudy . It was the perfect temperature for pushing around a lawnmower . 69 deg is summer weather.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
MMMM, wish I could trade you about 20*. It topped out at 117.4 today and the HOT days they're calling for are supposed to be Sat/Sunday.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Borrego Dave---I cannot even fathom temperatures that hot! Where I live, when spring temps hit 8C (mid 40's), people start going without jackets, often put on their shorts and park a permanent smile on their faces.....winter is over!

We've been in Florida and gone swimming in pools with thermometers showing 58F. Were told by a man who was watching us that "you must be Canadian 'cuz no one here would think of going in that unless those numbers were reversed"..... (85).
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #7

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
MMMM, wish I could trade you about 20*. It topped out at 117.4 today and the HOT days they're calling for are supposed to be Sat/Sunday.
You have somehow managed to make our 30 below in winter actually look and sound good..My wife and I do not like warm weather (80 deg F and above) and you have given us one more reason to stay up North.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Come on down here in the south right now and try our sweltering "humidity". It's not the temperature that counts...it's the humidity. Wife and I just finished riding bikes. It was 75 deg out. We both came in wringing wet. THAT is why you need A/C down here in 75 deg weather.,..for us anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
You have somehow managed to make our 30 below in winter actually look and sound good..My wife and I do not like warm weather (80 deg F and above) and you have given us one more reason to stay up North.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Come on down here in the south right now and try our sweltering "humidity". It's not the temperature that counts...it's the humidity. Wife and I just finished riding bikes. It was 75 deg out. We both came in wringing wet. THAT is why you need A/C down here in 75 deg weather.,..for us anyway.
I have been to Tennessee in August ,when I attended the University of TN at Knoxville . I was never so glad to get back to Minnesota after spending time in that unbearable Tennessee heat and humidity . I do not nor do I want to understand how people exist under those conditions . The same could be said for our 30 below winters. If I had to live with that constant, relentless heat , I would probably give a lot of consideration to moving or committing suicide.
But to each their own.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:39 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have been to Tennessee in August ,when I attended the University of TN at Knoxville . I was never so glad to get back to Minnesota after spending time in that unbearable Tennessee heat and humidity . I do not nor do I want to understand how people exist under those conditions . The same could be said for our 30 below winters. If I had to live with that constant, relentless heat , I would probably give a lot of consideration to moving or committing suicide.
But to each their own.
I understand what you're saying Steve, I don't like humidity either. I lived in SW MI for 10 years and decided I didn't like the summer humidity, the cold or snow in the winter. Nor the skeeters with landing lights but I do miss the lighting bugs . Lucky the US is big and we can all choose the best place we want to live.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:25 AM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Adaptable

Even without the use of 'high' technology, it's amazing how well the human population can adapt to weather conditions. Today a Viking replica came into the harbor at St. Anthony, NL. There were 23 crew, they all slept on the deck in a tent while crossing the North Atlantic. One night they all slept in their survival suits due to high seas. It's amazing how little freeboard the ship has. It was definitely cold.

As we drive thru the northern peninsula of NL people have unimaginable amounts of cord wood stacked along the road, drying. As well up here people still plant roadside gardens, potatoes being primary. This is public property but may have been used by the same family for generations. (Interestingly Moose do not bother potatoes.)

As a species we are very adaptable. When I was young I attended college in Charleston. SC, really hot and humid in August. It was a military college with lots of physical pressure. The first year was difficult. By the second year I had adapted....there was no air conditioning. The body has a broad range of adaptability.

We thing we need air conditioning when camping in the south, people lived without it for 100s of years. Not that we shouldn't have it but it's possible to live without it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #12

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Nowadays, Norm, the heat is different.

I lived in FL with my ex from 1969-71 without AC. It would be cooler at sunrise. There were more wooded areas, and lots more shade. No later than 2 pm we'de have our 20-30 minute thunderstorm, and then the temps would've decreased to the 70s-80s. At night the wind shifted and was cooler. Remember each large tree cab show a 10*F decrease in temperature in its shade.

Now most of the wooded areas have been pushed down and concrete substituted. It soaks up heat all day and then radiates it back all night. The thunderstorms are patchier and start at all different hours of the day. In the olden days we would have our 25 -20*F difference between night and day. That is now reduced in the summer to 8-11*F difference. If you have a 96*F day an 86*F low isn't going to feel much better.

I have been diagnosed with asthma, at age 57 (in my defense, it was atypical) and one of the triggers is heat.

I lived without a/c in 2004 when Sebring was hit by Charlie, Frances, and Jeanne and we would wait for electricity to be restored and 3-4 days later another hurricane would take out all the restored lines. I only survived by re-instituting the siesta and spending late afternoons and evenings in the lake. Went through D batteries (for the fans) like crazy. Bucketed water from the lake to the house for toilet flushing and ate uncooked snacky foods all summer.

I used to turn on my a/c on Memorial Day and turn it off Labor Day when kids were small. Gradually A/C has started earlier and run later each year. Heat correlates with th return of the swallow tailed kites each summer. They used to return in May/June. I spotted my first one this year in the first week of March. They stay later in the autumn too. I think it was 2013 (or 2014) ? first time I ran my a/c all year.
I like cool/cold weather. I was running around the Len Foote Hike Inn in the mountains of GA (Amicola SP) late November a few years back in shorts and a t shirt while everyone else was bundling up in fleece- BUT used that old swimmers trick to avoid hypothermia- a light layer of petroleum jelly everywhere I could reach. Works wonderfully to hold the warm in/keep cold out.

Can hardly wait for 2017 and my projected trip to Canada! I HATE this heat and humidity!
Old 06-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #13

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
If you don't like the weather MOVE!!!!

Tonight's forecast:

DARK!

With widely scattered light in the morning.

Forecast courtesy of your "Hippy Dippy" weatherman Al Sleet aka G. Carlin!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #14

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Vintage Racer- we just may move soon. The trouble is DH is a Florida native and his sister and niece are still here. I want a spot that stays bearable in the summer. Trouble is I have lived here since 1968 myself.So all my memories of weather other places dates back to the 50s &60s. Soo...the lil Snoozy to carry us about seeking for the coolth.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #15

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Snow towing

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question so I will do so but if I need to start a new thread, please forgive me! I hate the hot weather. There...I've said it. Hate the bugs. I will probably do much of my camping in the off-season. Should I be out in the wilds of the northeast and encounter snow, what should I do? Seems towing in light snow could be problematic, right? Advice anyone? My two favorite trailers, at this time, are the Lil Snoozy and the Oliver. I know... apples to oranges, but both have their plusses and minuses. Plus a stinker of a price difference!
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:46 AM   #16

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
The fatter I get, the less I enjoy the heat.
Ice cream cools me off, but adds to the problem later.
Go figure.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #17

Delaware
Yes, Kathleen...love the ice cream thoughts. AND....it's difficult to take 20 showers a day in a trailer!
Old 06-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
For all the peeps struggling in the heat and think ice cream is the solution... think again. When it's hot, it is HOT
Attached Thumbnails
MeltedIceCreamTruck.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #19

Delaware
Ha, ha, ha....best one I've seen. Thanks for sharing, Donna
Old 06-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #20

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"