Temporary Use of Trailers for Living or Sleeping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Temporary Use of Trailers for Living or Sleeping

In my small town of San Anselmo, CA there is a community discussion as to whether our very old ordinances on the existence of trailers and RVs in town should be revised. Check out this website at D-1 to see what we're talking about. http://sananselmo-ca.granicus.com/Ge...1&event_id=231 The survey asked community members about their thoughts of having trailers and RVs parked on the street, in driveways or on personal property. Currently, no vehicles may park on our streets overnight.

As I see it, the proposed ordinance would allow use of an RV or camper trailer to be inhabited on the premises if there is a permit for remodeling/building on the property. The use of the camper would terminate when the permit terminates.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Sounds like one big happy Home Owners Association at work. Our grandkids love sleeping in our trailer on our property. Glad we don't have to put them up in the nearest hotel (about 17 miles.)

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #3

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
It is common to have ordinances which allow for some months in a trailer while building. Depending on how urban, however, there may be no allowance for living in a trailer at all, or 15 days in a year, or 30 days in a year, for instance.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #4

Name: Wally
Trailer: Casita
Texas
This made me laugh when I read it. We have some family coming in June and the wife and I were trying to figure out where people would sleep. No matter how we arranged it someone would end up sleeping on the couch. Usually not a problem for the younger folks. Even talked about setting up the old queen size air mattress from our tent camping days. That's about when it dawned on me that we have the Casita sitting in the driveway with hook ups. So now the wife and I will sleep in the trailer and no one will have to sleep on the couch. Where I live you can park a trailer in the street as long as a tow vehicle is attached to it. Anywhere on your property is okay. Lots of people have boats and trailers parked in there front yards and driveways. Not sure but I think they have to have current registration.
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #5

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven View Post
This made me laugh when I read it. Where I live you can park a trailer in the street as long as a tow vehicle is attached to it. Anywhere on your property is okay. Lots of people have boats and trailers parked in there front yards and driveways. Not sure but I think they have to have current registration.
You live as do I in the South in the land of "Tornado Magnets" where the number of cars and trailers on your property considered is a status symbol!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #6

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Many towns have zoning regulations that cover the use and storage of RVs and for good reason as they can become an eye sore.
If your town has such regulations you can ignore some of them (like the kids camping in your travel trailer)...however if they pass an ordinance against storing your RV on residential property you have a problem.
I'd make a big effort to lobby for the right to store your RV on your residential property but restrict people from establishing a residence in just a travel trailer.

I did live in my travel trailer at my lakefront cabin one summer while I was remodeling the cabin...it made life so much easier during the remodel. This area had no restrictive zoning regulations.

In most cases towns that have a problem with RV storage on residential property are "High-End" communities that are controlled by the wealthy.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #7

Name: Wally
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Just thought I'd post here to get my post count up to ten.
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #8

Name: Henry
Trailer: Intend to buy one day.
Florida
HOA's and small-town fascism

I own places in New Hampshire and in Florida, and would never subject myself to the vagaries of a homeowners' association. Aspiring "little Hitlers" are drawn to HOA boards like bears to honey. Ditto for towns and cities with their explosion of ordinances telling you what you can and cannot keep on your property. For those who object based upon "maintaining property values", I suggest you look at one of the biggest, richest, and most dynamic cities in North America, Houston...which has no zoning.
Henry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You might want to read this Henry, before you move to Houston.

Forget What You’ve Heard, Houston Really Does Have Zoning (Sort Of) - The Urban Edge
Old 03-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Individual home ownership once included the concept that "a man's home is his castle," and property owners could do pretty much whatever they wanted with their land. One of our Constitutional amendments enshrines protection for the liberty and property rights of citizens and requires due process of law before those rights may be abridged.

Over time, we've seen population growth and urbanization. Because of the closeness of homeowners in cities, these free exercises of private use occasionally created infringements upon the neighbors' use and enjoyment of their own properties. Thus some measure of regulation became accepted practice.

As a matter of policy, I would argue that, in keeping with the Due Process Clause and the spirit of liberty, restrictions upon property owners' usage rights should be utilized sparingly and only upon a showing of actual harm to a neighbor's rights. I think we have many communities which impose undue restrictions for the slightest of reasons, such as "beautification of the neighborhood." Who would say that a Casita or a pickup truck in the driveway makes the neighborhood look shabby? Some HOAs and some zoning ordinances do say this.

My livelihood currently depends upon my ability to park my Lil Hauley in my driveway from the time I get home from work until the time I leave in the morning for the next batch of deliveries. While it's parked in the drive, it gets unloaded and re-loaded from the inventory in the garage. I am in constant violation of a city ordinance, which prohibits the trailer's presence (for more than 1 hour IIRC). Fortunately my neighbors don't mind and don't complain; but if someone within 2-3 blocks of my home calls code enforcement about any such violation anywhere near them (not necessarily mine), the authorities will drive around and red-tag every such trailer in the neighborhood. That can make my life rather... ummm... stressful for a while.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Kinda nice to have your own 35 acres, and a pleasant 1/2 mile walk (or ATV run) from your house through your own natural forest, to wherever you last decided to park your trailer, and the camping fees are 'nil'....... YMMV........
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
With 35 acres once could open a rv park.....
Old 03-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #13

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I am lucky to live in a low density neighborhood and keep my Scamp under my Scamport off the driveway. If I had to make a recommendation (vote) on a trailer parking ordinance, my instinct would be to ask for the least restrictive and most reasonable version to be presented.

Somebody here posted once - I am paraphrasing: There is something righteous about restricting oneself, something self-righteous about restricting others.

Once we were sleeping on the street in Denver, in front of our son's house while visiting. After about three days some neighbor called the cops and suddenly two cruisers showed up (no, not in the middle of the night). They were most reasonable and said to just back it into the driveway and be fine. One of them liked the Scamp and said so.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:51 PM   #14

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
... neighbor called the cops ...
Hit the nail on the head. If no one complains, no one knows the difference. Good reason to be neighborly to your neighbors. If they like you, they just might be less likely to call the law on you .... or not! Some neighbors can be pretty hard to figure out sometimes. Luckily, we live out in the country where neighbors are few and far between, but the few we have are good ones!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I was elected president of our homeowners association but I was too swift at getting things done, made decisions without everyone's input and saved too much money, and had too much common sense so a few
of the idiots complained and I quit. Now I only pay my dues and keep my turf grass looking better than everybody else's. Works for me. We have restrictive covenants but nobody has the guts to enforce so most are not in compliance. It's a joke
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #16

Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Cool "35 Acre Forest Camping"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I am lucky to live in a low density neighborhood .............
Now, if I could just get the millions of 'mossies' and 'black flies' to camp elsewhere ............ I'd really appreciate the 'lower density' too.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:09 AM   #17

Name: Henry
Trailer: Intend to buy one day.
Florida
Houston and the attempting zoning-creep

Glen Baglo, it has been the fondest dream of "planners", city bureaucrats, and little local land dictators for decades to get zoning imposed in Houston. That's why there have been at least 3 referendums on the question, all of which failed (don't mess with Texas!). So now, having failed in open power-grab attempts that would have harme Houstonians, city government authorities have resorted to a "creeping control" strategy. They're not all the way there, but they are happy to have increased power to control what can land cannot be built, and wherep...with no public vote on it. This increases political power (and its attendant corruption), and suits the city "land planners" and other bureaucrats---as well as politically connected developers, architects, banks, construction companies, etc.---just fine.

Read a somewhat less-biased article about the Houston at the following location: ULR-Urban Leasing & Realty

Here's hoping the aspiring city power-grabbes in Houston get beat back. Don't count Texas out! :--)
Henry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #18

Name: Jim
Trailer: ventura 1300
Ontario
Living in town

Oh how glad I am to live in a unorganized township, here you can do anything you like to do from building a garage to building a house, it's over one hour to town but its nice.
JvR
jvrayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Moderator hat on.

This discussion does need to refer somewhat to local municipal government rules, but we ask that we stick to facts, and not turn this into a political debate. Just a bit of a friendly reminder to do your part to not derail this discussion.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
It has been pointed out that being friendly and on good terms with neighbours is worthwhile. This is very much the case with me. I have parked my trailer in our front drive in the summer months when not camping for 7 years now. This is not allowed, I think it is either 48 or 72 hours max. Fortunately, the side of my lot that the trailer is parked on is about 4' lower than the neighbours, so it does not block their view from their drive, plus they are very nice people who I get along great with. Hopefully when I get my Escape 5.0 TA, it will continue to be no problem.

If someone were to report it to bylaw, I would have to move it.

I would much rather not have my trailer in my front drive, but to keep it handy during camping season is such a great benefit. We are looking to downsize our home in the near future, and any home we consider must have a place to park the trailer behind the front yard where it is legal.

I am also fully in favour of the use of an RV for temporary accommodation, maybe while renovating/building, or for guests to stay in, or someone temporarily without a place to live. I am not in favour of them being used as full time accommodation in an urban neighbourhood. Sure, some folk could and would be respectful, but others would take advantage and be much less respectful, causing angst with neighbours.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin