Ten Year Rule?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
hahahahaha, I still have duct tape residue on the back window of my Scamp where I put the rear license plate on and left the duct tape on too long (it turned to concrete).

So... been there, done that!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
I've heard it said that some campgrounds won't accept RVs 10 years or more old. To what degree is this true? Perhaps it once was true.

Thanks,,,
Alan
Going back to the original question, the easiest answer is that those restrictions are most often seen at RV Resorts, "Resorts" being the operative word.

In years of RV'ing in molded fiberglass Toyota Mini-Motorhomes (the newest one is now 20 y.o.) and small towable FGRV's, I encountered the problem just one time, at a private campground, and I just asked for an exemption under the "Restored Classic Rule" for my then 30+ year old Toyota Sunrader FGRV.
I have no idea what that is, but it worked, the desk person looked out the window at my rig and said "Sure".

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:01 PM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Going back to the original question, the easiest answer is that those restrictions are most often seen at RV Resorts, "Resorts" being the operative word.

In years of RV'ing in molded fiberglass Toyota Mini-Motorhomes (the newest one is now 20 y.o.) and small towable FGRV's, I encountered the problem just one time, at a private campground, and I just asked for an exemption under the "Restored Classic Rule" for my then 30+ year old Toyota Sunrader FGRV.
I have no idea what that is, but it worked, the desk person looked out the window at my rig and said "Sure".

That is genius, Bob!!
I will have to remember that phrase if ever needed.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #24

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLesa View Post
Really embarrassed

Aw, don't be embarrassed, Lesa, many of us have put a much bigger foot in our mouths than that!

FYI, if you want to PM someone, just click on their name above their avatar, and choose 'send a private message'.

Welcome to the group, and we'd love to see your Scamp!!
'Works-in-progress' are always interesting to follow.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #25

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Well,,, the geriatric brain is working undertime (can't quite manage overtime) and I think I'm catching on. I'd guessed that there was some slight element of truth to the "10 year rule" and 1) that seems to be true and 2) that is unimportant. I must confess that sometimes when I ask a question there is a particular answer that I'm looking for. I guess that this is one of those success stories!!

Thanks you everyone. That is what I wanted to hear.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:21 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Here's an older discussion on this topic.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...igs-62317.html
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:28 PM   #27

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
During our trip north on I-5 last year, one commercial campground we stayed at in Oregon had two sections, one for older models and one for newer models. And, the newer models got to pay a higher fee!?!
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #28

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I've encountered the ten year rule twice. I can confirm that the work "Resort" was part of the name, and the properties I encountered were convenient to large cities.

The first one was when I was planning a visit to Portland, Oregon and needed to make reservations. Their website included the 10 year rule. I emailed them and asked if my restored vintage trailer would be acceptable. I told them that I keep it polished so I can show it at rallys. I offered to email current pictures, and they said they'd like to see them. Once they saw the pictures of the Fiber Stream, they said OK. They wanted to make sure the trailer was in good condition, had no broken glass or peeling paint or peeling decals. Basically, they wanted it to be well maintained. They issued the reservation and said I was good to go.

The second one was in Las Vegas, convenient to the strip, but a short distance from it. I was planning to attend a rally with another group I belong to where 70% of the members have large Motorhomes. Again I mentioned restored & vintage & shows. Again I offered to send pictures. They would give me a reservation, (full price up front, non-refundable) but reserved the right to deny entrance if I failed their inspection upon arrival. The Rally leader offered to vouch for me, but they wouldn't budge. I was betting against the house... this being Vegas.

I didn't go.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:21 PM   #29

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post

The second one was in Las Vegas, convenient to the strip, but a short distance from it. I was planning to attend a rally with another group I belong to where 70% of the members have large Motorhomes. Again I mentioned restored & vintage & shows. Again I offered to send pictures. They would give me a reservation, (full price up front, non-refundable) but reserved the right to deny entrance if I failed their inspection upon arrival. The Rally leader offered to vouch for me, but they wouldn't budge. I was betting against the house... this being Vegas.

I didn't go.
Frederick, it's too bad you didn't go and camp someplace else. Just outside Vegas is Las Vegas Bay campground part of the Lake Mead Recreational area. We've stayed there many times and without problems and a whole lot cheaper than the Resorts.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:17 AM   #30

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
During a family reunion camping get together my mom made reservations outside of Durango Colo. with a campground. She had sent letters with specific questions to the campgrounds we planned to all stay at during our travels in Colo. before making any reservations, couple of us kids have dogs would that be a problem that sort of thing AND to make sure my Blue Bird School bus conversion would not be a problem.

When we pulled up at the Campground office they about had kittens right there behind the counter. My mom whipped out a copy of the their reply and her letter and informed them that they had agreed in advance. They saw "Blue Bird" and thought big motor coach but she clearly said "school bus". The lady behind the counter was talking it over with mom, then one fellow claimed that my mom had "miss-represented" it because Blue Bird did not make a school bus. Mom held honesty in high regard and got pretty upset at that.

So I offered to have him join me in the parking lot to inspect the manufactures plate and make of vehicle on registration before making any more accusations. And he should be planning his apology on the way. He decided to apologize now then shut up. Mom and the lady worked it out. We stayed. Place had the cleanest and nicest white tile bathrooms I have ever seen, think they pressure washed them wall to wall two or three times a day. Other than that it was the least interesting campground we stayed at. Totally blah.

That is the only time I can recall ever having an issue with being allowed into a park. But then as you might have guessed "Resorts" are not really my style.

Have heard of private campgrounds that are Class A motor homes only. Have no idea if the bus qualifies, never had any inclination to find out.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:32 AM   #31

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Here goes my outspoken and perhaps unwanted comments, but in MY opinion, staying in a Class A motor home at an RV resort does NOT constitute "camping." While I can understand the need of some people to have all the conveniences of home (washer/dryer, full sized refrigerator, outdoor entertainment center, etc.) it's not for me. I have spoken with several Class A owners in "normal " campgrounds and most of them have told me they avoid the so-called resorts because they do not like the "atmosphere."

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
Old 09-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #32

Name: Lesa
Trailer: In the market!
Arizona
Lol @ Mental telepathy!
SimplyLesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #33

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Different strokes for different folks and aren't we glad.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #34

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Here goes my outspoken and perhaps unwanted comments, but in MY opinion, staying in a Class A motor home at an RV resort does NOT constitute "camping." While I can understand the need of some people to have all the conveniences of home (washer/dryer, full sized refrigerator, outdoor entertainment center, etc.) it's not for me. I have spoken with several Class A owners in "normal " campgrounds and most of them have told me they avoid the so-called resorts because they do not like the "atmosphere."

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
Carl:

While it probably isn't important, I bet we could find lots of agreement about "camping". There remains though the issue of getting to where you want to camp. If I want to camp 3,000 miles away in Laborador I might want mere accommodations along the way.

All:

One of the reasons I brought this topic up is predictability. One of the reasons (much to my wife's annoyance) that I avoid flying (unless there is an ocean to cross) is that boarding passes are no longer boarding passes. Airports are so unpleasant that adding uncertainty (beyond weather, mechanical failures etc.) is one step too many for me. Back on topic: I don't want to arrive at a campground at 8:00 P.M. only to learn that I need to find a Walmart and it is 50 miles away and they too may reject me. Perhaps I'm just an old fuddy-duddy but I prefer to have adventures when the sun is high in the sky.

As it says in the margin I don't yet have a trailer. Judging by the wealth or replies here the 10 year issue does seem manageable. I appreciate your responses.

Trailers seem to depreciate very rapidly, at least the stick-built ones. I wanted to know that if I bought a 5 year old trailer it's value wouldn't approach zero in the next 5 years because it was unusable. Thanks for answering that too.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #35

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Travel.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
One of the reasons I brought this topic up is predictability. One of the reasons (much to my wife's annoyance) that I avoid flying (unless there is an ocean to cross) is that boarding passes are no longer boarding passes. Airports are so unpleasant that adding uncertainty (beyond weather, mechanical failures etc.) is one step too many for me.

Just a tip, choose your airports carefully. For example, to avoid LAX I use Ontario (ONT). Parking is always close by, there are never long lines for check-in or security, and 30 minutes before flight time still works. And often, the flights cost much less after I add in parking and gas etc.

But, back on topic, it's no secret that 10 years of use can be much, much harder on a sticky than a molded fiberglass trailer. In fact 10 years of non-use is almost as bad with a sticky.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #36

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's not THAT small But I do know from reading, some resorts won't take anything smaller than 25' (or maybe bigger?) that even lets out Ten Forward
Just a new form of class distinction to ensure they are mixing with the right sort.($$$$$) They look upon their RV resort as a gated community. Their loss.

And they call that camping??
Old 09-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #37

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
We've only had trouble with the rule once. We pulled into a private enterprise RV park at the end of a tiring day with a tow vehicle that was acting up. We just needed a place to stay for the night and then to find a mechanic in the morning. As we started to check in, the lady at the desk asked me how old our rig was and when I said it was a 1987 model she trotted out the "10 year rule". I asked her to come out and take a look at it to see how well kept it was, but she was too lazy and finally conceded that we could stay one night! Her attitude felt very condescending.

Like Norm and Ginny we've "camped" in everything from truck stop parking lots to fancy "resorts". In general I would say the resort type of campgrounds/RV parks are our least favorite. They tend to have rules, rules and more rules and we rarely find the people in them to be very friendly (there have been exceptions of course). On the other hand, we have stayed in places where some of the rigs were rather sad and down at the heels but the folks were welcoming and helpful.

If you travel with a pet though, be sure to ask about the campground's pet policy. Some don't allow pets at all and some have breed and/or size restrictions.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #38

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Ten Year Rule??

Somehow this discussion reminds me of a trip to Oak Creek Canyon (near Sedona, AZ) many years ago… I was tent camping, just me and the dog, in early October. An unexpected early winter storm had brought wind, fog, rain and sleet to the area: beautiful, but not exactly prime tenting weather. As I struggled to erect my tent in the wet and dark, a large motorhome pulled into the site next door. Lights came on and the generator fired up, but no humans appeared.

Thirty minutes later, I was pretty well soaked, but tent and kitchen were set up and I had a pot of water heating for tea. Still no sign of human life in the motorhome, but I decided to cheer myself up by building a fire with the dry wood in the back of my truck. Another thirty minutes, and I had a blazing fire going and a cup of hot tea in my hand. The rain had let up, and I was inclined to be less resentful of the large, dry, comfortable, well-lit,... did I say dry?… motorhome and its raucous generator. At about that time, the door finally opened and one man stepped out. Dressed in country club togs, he sauntered over to my fire. I saw that he carried a mixed drink in one hand and a lit cigar in the other.

Turned out he was an executive with a large corporation based on the east coast assigned to a temporary position in Arizona. He was just wrapping up his work and decided to see a bit of our beautiful state before returning. The motorhome was rented, and his wife and daughter were along. We had a pleasant conversation about his trip and the things he had seen before he returned to the motorhome. And that was it. I never saw the other occupants, and they left early the next morning.

I think it was the mixed drink and cigar that got me, but I am glad he got to experience a campfire. It's a great equalizer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #39

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We traveled in a class A motor home and on occasion had the opportunity to invite in cold and hungry young campers for a 'mug up'. As Donna is fond of saying (it takes)there are all types and that includes in motor homes.

Jon,
People renting motorhomes and campers are really beginners. Few step into an RV and find the magic of it all. You never know but your campfire 'could' be the start.

General Comment. We have traveled so much that we very often know where to stay. On our trips to Newfoundland thru Maine, NB and NS we mostly stop at old favorites, similarly when driving south. We rarely stay in the high rent district and just about the only 'Resort' we stay in is our Escapee Park, the SKP Resort, a mighty $15 a night before we got our lot.

Ginny has a log book of every place we've stayed over 14 years. If we're returning to an area she grabs her book and checks to recall where we stayed. It's interesting to read because in the old days she would have comments about wi-fi or phone availability. Those comments have disappeared from recent listings because it's no longer an issue.

I know that people worry about campgrounds, finding one, safety, facilities, even cost.... In 14 years and 3000 nights it is extremely rare when any of these have been a concern. Even when we've come across death showers we survived it. It sort of like all of life, every day is not perfect but the overwhelming bulk are good, so who cares if there's an occasional bad day.

It's funny Ginny and I have been home for two months, have really had a great time on this anniversary year, but we have both verbalized our hunger for the road, Without our remaining September/October commitments I think we'd hit the road now. Though I write frequently about our travels and enjoy sharing, there's a shared privacy in the travels of two. I never feel that I express the oneness one can achieve away even when attempting to explain it to those close to us.

Wandering again. Just remember that life on the road can be good.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #40

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Cari and i are full time at the fanciest rv park/resort/golf-course on the north coast and as others have stated...the "rule" is flexible. We've seen old hippie style converted school buses in our place, and airstreams that were from the 50's...what made the difference? (And i know this as i help with their website)...a smile on your face when you go in the office and a fun & polite attitude.

Happy trails,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote