Name: Lesa
Trailer: 1983 13' Scamp
South Dakota
Really embarrassed

Old 08-31-2014, 04:56 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've camped over 3,000 nights since we retired and have been in all qualities of campgrounds. We rarely stay in expensive campgrounds, usually only when we're meeting the needs of someone else, like visiting a friend or relative.

We have on a very few occasions driven into and out of a campground. However even when we have stayed in some 'seedy' campgrounds we have never had a problem and the people have been friendly.

We accept the campground as it is. State parks can be nice but on weekends we know there will be a lot of children and occasionally the noisy party.

For us we're so happy to be traveling about the background of the park hardly bothers us. We can always move on.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:56 PM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
ABSOLUTELY NOT LESA. All kind and honest opinions are desired here. I mentioned the duct tape trailers. Next to that RV resort (which is very nice) not far from my home, there's another one almost next door. Where the trailers look like they'd never make it 5 miles down the road without losing some siding.

I often mention different strokes for different folks, they're all good. If it works for you, it works for us.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Lesa,

Don't be embarrassed. I've written a number of posts I wish I hadn't. It's the nature of forums.

If you write something and don't want to send it close the page, nothing happens unless you hit post, of course that can happen by accident.

Also as long as a post has edit on it it can be changed or deleted.

This is a friendly group, some think the "F" in FRV stands for "friendly'.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:16 PM   #20

Name: Lesa
Trailer: 1983 13' Scamp
South Dakota
Thanks
I'm probably sensitive because my Scamp project came with a ghetto/redneck duct taped window on the rear....okay just trying to save face lol
Old 08-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
hahahahaha, I still have duct tape residue on the back window of my Scamp where I put the rear license plate on and left the duct tape on too long (it turned to concrete).

So... been there, done that!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:42 PM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
I've heard it said that some campgrounds won't accept RVs 10 years or more old. To what degree is this true? Perhaps it once was true.

Thanks,,,
Alan
Going back to the original question, the easiest answer is that those restrictions are most often seen at RV Resorts, "Resorts" being the operative word.

In years of RV'ing in molded fiberglass Toyota Mini-Motorhomes (the newest one is now 20 y.o.) and small towable FGRV's, I encountered the problem just one time, at a private campground, and I just asked for an exemption under the "Restored Classic Rule" for my then 30+ year old Toyota Sunrader FGRV.
I have no idea what that is, but it worked, the desk person looked out the window at my rig and said "Sure".
Old 08-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #23

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Going back to the original question, the easiest answer is that those restrictions are most often seen at RV Resorts, "Resorts" being the operative word.

In years of RV'ing in molded fiberglass Toyota Mini-Motorhomes (the newest one is now 20 y.o.) and small towable FGRV's, I encountered the problem just one time, at a private campground, and I just asked for an exemption under the "Restored Classic Rule" for my then 30+ year old Toyota Sunrader FGRV.
I have no idea what that is, but it worked, the desk person looked out the window at my rig and said "Sure".

That is genius, Bob!!
I will have to remember that phrase if ever needed.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:07 PM   #24

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLesa View Post
Really embarrassed

Aw, don't be embarrassed, Lesa, many of us have put a much bigger foot in our mouths than that!

FYI, if you want to PM someone, just click on their name above their avatar, and choose 'send a private message'.

Welcome to the group, and we'd love to see your Scamp!!
'Works-in-progress' are always interesting to follow.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #25

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Well,,, the geriatric brain is working undertime (can't quite manage overtime) and I think I'm catching on. I'd guessed that there was some slight element of truth to the "10 year rule" and 1) that seems to be true and 2) that is unimportant. I must confess that sometimes when I ask a question there is a particular answer that I'm looking for. I guess that this is one of those success stories!!

Thanks you everyone. That is what I wanted to hear.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Here's an older discussion on this topic.

Campgrounds Only For New(er) Rigs?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #27

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
During our trip north on I-5 last year, one commercial campground we stayed at in Oregon had two sections, one for older models and one for newer models. And, the newer models got to pay a higher fee!?!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 PM   #28

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I've encountered the ten year rule twice. I can confirm that the work "Resort" was part of the name, and the properties I encountered were convenient to large cities.

The first one was when I was planning a visit to Portland, Oregon and needed to make reservations. Their website included the 10 year rule. I emailed them and asked if my restored vintage trailer would be acceptable. I told them that I keep it polished so I can show it at rallys. I offered to email current pictures, and they said they'd like to see them. Once they saw the pictures of the Fiber Stream, they said OK. They wanted to make sure the trailer was in good condition, had no broken glass or peeling paint or peeling decals. Basically, they wanted it to be well maintained. They issued the reservation and said I was good to go.

The second one was in Las Vegas, convenient to the strip, but a short distance from it. I was planning to attend a rally with another group I belong to where 70% of the members have large Motorhomes. Again I mentioned restored & vintage & shows. Again I offered to send pictures. They would give me a reservation, (full price up front, non-refundable) but reserved the right to deny entrance if I failed their inspection upon arrival. The Rally leader offered to vouch for me, but they wouldn't budge. I was betting against the house... this being Vegas.

I didn't go.