Ten Year Rule?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
a smile on your face when you go in the office and a fun & polite attitude.

Happy trails,
Thom
Thom

That smile and friendly attitude is the reason Ginny always goes into the office, usually alone and always first.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #42

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
When the rules/regulations are out of...ordinary, people tend to stay away. BTW, if they don't want to make profit, let it be. When you own a piece of land between ...NOWHERE, pls do not treat people who spend the money for your services like...trash. In my case, if the rule is...SPECIAL I wouldn't come..EVEN IF IT WOULD OFFER FREE. My own POV....
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #43

Ontario
BTW, just back home from long holiday camping. This time, same Trillium with different T.V: 1980 Trillium1300 and an Uplander 2006 Chevrolet LT van...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG687.jpg  
Old 09-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #44

Ontario
One more thing from me: Ten year old rule will not work with me. I've been camping for years, each year with multiple times at different campsites. One thing I am sure of: Even a brand new compact trailer wouldn't offer BEST and more features like mine. I had been requested to go along with all of my friends/relatives for their trailers' shopping. Thanks to this forum, my practices and the...passion, I possess knowledge-more than average- for camping trailers. In fact, my 1980Trillium had been modified totally be myself ONLY...Just a personnel input....
Old 09-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #45

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLesa View Post
Thanks
I'm probably sensitive because my Scamp project came with a ghetto/redneck duct taped window on the rear....okay just trying to save face lol

I have close to $10k in mine redoing it. It will have duct tape over a few rivet holes at the fiberglass rally in two days. It's staying that way until I replace the seam tape and get the curtain rod brackets back up. No biggie.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #46

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
I just returned from my very first stay at a small private campground. There are pro's and cons.

I've used the state parks and they also have pros and cons.

People are friendlier at the private places where people set up for years. But they're also sometimes a little too friendly. It's their place and you're in it so some of them sort of feel entitled to walk right into your space and give you advice. Of course, that depends on the person. Others were perfectly proper and were fun to talk with. They took a real interest in me and everyone liked the Casita. I agree that looking at all of their crap they've been accumulating for years also can be an eyesore: Maybe the newer camper rule is an attempt to address that. I don't know.

I really liked the full hookup, though.

The state parks have TONS of kids and they're all un-supervised, and pretty much screaming 8am-10 pm. One park had plastic noise making guns for sale in the store and the pops all around me never stopped. It was like the 4th of july. Drove me nuts. The private park had fewer kids and they didn't feel entitled to torture everyone because everyone already knew them. Their parents were so much more responsible for them.

No one was at the gate of the private park after 5 pm, but on the other hand, I felt very safe because the regulars got to know me the first day.

Then, again, it's not too hard for someone with bad intentions to get into any kind of park.

So, I guess it's like a restaurant: What do you feel like? With the comfort of the private parks comes the friendliness, but also, a very lived-in look.

I guess it pays to have a look, if possible, before booking. Of course, it goes without saying, that internet photos don't tell you anything.

Sometimes I feel like the rules at the state parks keep a lid on the negatives. Not very many rules at the private places. Although, this park keeps a black list of past undesirables, so, that's kind of good. The state parks have no such ban, and repeat offenders can keep trying.

Maybe the fun part of camping is the adventure: When you leave home, anything can happen!
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #47

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Early in our married life, my bride and I worked at an RV park in CA. We did not have a 10-year rule, per se, but we were expected to refuse admittance to any "undesirable" customers. The owner wanted to keep up the neighborhood. The 10-year rule is just a way to have some rule you can enforce when needed. It is very, very flexible at most parks (but not all).

I remember one evening, an old blue school bus pulled in. It was painted with a brush. While my wife talked in the office with one of the guys, the other guys (4 men in a bus...) showed me around their rig. I approved them for a site.

Later that evening, the boss showed up and demanded that I get them off the property right now. He didn't want that kind of trash in his park. I suggested he come with me to talk to them.

When we got to the site, the guys said they had just made a pot of hot chocolate, and invited us inside to share a mug. Stepping in was like going into another world. The guys were high-end trim carpenters, and the woodwork in this bus would make most New England mansions look shabby. The guys were on a job in the area for a week or so.

They were working class guys providing for their families. Professionally painting an entire bus would cost rather a lot of money, and it wasn't in their skill set. But, boy, the parts that WERE in their skill set were gorgeous!

The boss let them stay, and hired them to do some work in his own home.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #48

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Discrimination, when it is based on sound, unbiased judgment and concrete evidence of character, is a good thing. Problem is that it can be easily colored by other things, like race, appearance, language,... If the four carpenters happened to be Spanish-speaking, for example, someone in the same position today might make a different call. Please understand, Paul, I am not making any presumptions about what you, personally, would do. But I suspect that's why rules tend to be more rigidly enforced: fear of litigation. Small family campgrounds may still fly under the radar, but large, corporate-owned resorts are much bigger targets.

It is unfortunate that in reining in bad forms of discrimination, we have also limited our ability to exercise the good kind.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #49

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Discrimination, when it is based on sound, unbiased judgment and concrete evidence of character, is a good thing. Problem is that it can be easily colored by other things, like race, appearance, language,... If the four carpenters happened to be Spanish-speaking, for example, someone in the same position today might make a different call. Please understand, Paul, I am not making any presumptions about what you, personally, would do. But I suspect that's why rules tend to be more rigidly enforced: fear of litigation. Small family campgrounds may still fly under the radar, but large, corporate-owned resorts are much bigger targets.

It is unfortunate that in reining in bad forms of discrimination, we have also limited our ability to exercise the good kind,
Eggy-Sue is now ten years old and somewhat diminutive in stature.

She might think it an indiscretion to share her age with strangers.
She doesn't race (a little chubby for that)
She IS white and pretty ( brown eggs are still kinda rare)
While English is still the language of her birthplace, it IS spoken there with a strange accent...EHH?
As for character... She is sweet and demure in a crowd , but has been known to share her hook-ups and sometimes even her site with others.
She certainly deserves an honored place in any campground and I can only pity the foolish place which would presume to reject her presence!

Oh! I forgot to mention, that she travels in good company...He's a mature distinguished and some say handsome fellow named Robert (Red-FORD)
She cheerfully follows him wherever he goes, confident that he would only take her where she is safe and welcomed.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #50

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Okay, okay, Floyd... I'm off the soapbox... fell off laughing!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #51

Name: Tom
Michigan
Floyd, can't imagine anyone turning away your baby.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #52

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have come across the 10 year or newer rule as well as must be more than 25' long, only twice here on the west coast. Each time at very highly priced private RV resorts with pools etc. that cater mainly to large Class A motorhomes.

More common to come across the rule that the trailer must be totally self contained -i.e. have holding tanks for everything. Have come across that rule at Provincial/state parks as well as National parks and while in the back country in both Canada and the US.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #53

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

well done Floyd.
We need one of those like buttons

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #54

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Self Copntained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I have come across the 10 year or newer rule as well as must be more than 25' long, only twice here on the west coast. Each time at very highly priced private RV resorts with pools etc. that cater mainly to large Class A motorhomes.

More common to come across the rule that the trailer must be totally self contained -i.e. have holding tanks for everything. Have come across that rule at Provincial/state parks as well as National parks and while in the back country in both Canada and the US.
The "self contained" question has become a hot button at a number of California State Beaches where the "RV area" is often little more that an unused section of PCH that was bypassed when new freeways were built.

Apparently there was a fuss a few years back, because that was limiting stays to larger motorhomes and trailers and rejecting smaller trailers and pop-up tent trailers because of a lack of integrated holding tanks. Apparently they modified that to allow porta-potties and gray holding tanks that were "Plumbed" to the RV. (not an open bucket).

I was at Silver Strand State Beach about 3 weeks ago.
Upon arrival with my Hunter I was asked if I was fully "Self Contained". I replied that I was and was directed to my site and told that one of the staff would come by to check for self containment. Sure enough, about 30 minutes later a ranger type showed up and I had to show my porta-potty and that my external gray tank was a closed tank with a drain hose connected between the outlet on my Hunter and a fitting on the top of the holding tank.

Of the 40 or so sites occupied, the Pop-Up tent trailer parked next to me and my Hunter were the only two that got that special inspection. Almost all of the others at the park were huge motorhomes, perhaps indicating that the word hasn't filtered down that smaller rigs can now stay there if properly equipped.

The irony... although every site had individual water and power hook-ups, there were no drains or even bathrooms/showers in the RV area. There was a dump station near the exit that was free to use.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:45 AM   #55

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Only CA can afford RV police.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:31 AM   #56

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Only CA can afford RV police.
Norm,
California can not afford the RV police! But, they have them anyway! HA!

Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #57

Hmmmm.....

The "Self-contained Rule" is necessary at certain California State Beach sites because, other than limited capacity portables, there are NO (None, Nada) restrooms at those sites. In the case of Silver Strand, the dump station is somewhat of a luxury.

In a chat with a camp host, it was indicated that about 1/3 of the smaller trailers/vans/motorhomes claiming to be self-contained, actually weren't. Policy at that site was to allow a single nights stay and ask them to either correct the problem, usually by getting a grey water tote and a connecting hose, or they would have to leave.

Silver Strand is an incredibly beautiful beach, favored by families from all over the San Diego area. Past examples of campers tossing buckets of gray & even black water, and relieving themselves, on the sand close to camping sites led to the need for the equipment inspections.

While there are restrooms for day users of the Silver Strand beach to the south of the campground, that is over 1/3 of a mile from many of the overnight sites.

Bottom Line: It may cost a few extra $$$ to have 'Sanitation Inspectors", but it would cost a lot more if we didn't have them. Or, as was an earlier rule, smaller RV's (and almost all FGRV's) wouldn't be allowed to use the facility.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #58

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Apparently there was a fuss a few years back, because that was limiting stays to larger motorhomes and trailers and rejecting smaller trailers and pop-up tent trailers because of a lack of integrated holding tanks. Apparently they modified that to allow porta-potties and gray holding tanks that were "Plumbed" to the RV. (not an open bucket).
In the RV world are there many composting toilets? The obvious next question is how do the "authorities" deal with that. I'm told that in the boating world some regulators treat them fairly. Apparently though there are some locales that still demand that live-aboards pump out their holding tanks weekly to insure that folks aren't dumping into the water. With a composting toilet that is, shall we say, difficult.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #59

To Loo or not to Loo....

[QUOTE=minke;480870]In the RV world are there many composting toilets?

If composting toilets accounted for .5% of the total in RV's I would be very surprised. And, because the liquid container still has to be emptied, it might raise some eyebrows if they are "Self Contained" at California State Beaches that have that requirement.

A basic question might be "Can you drive off with the liquid container 75% full without risking spillage?"

The Dometic SeaLand porta-potty that I use comes with the necessary plumbing for pumping out, as well as for just dumping the holding tank.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #60

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

It is unfortunate that in reining in bad forms of discrimination, we have also limited our ability to exercise the good kind.
Good point. The good kind that you refer to, I prefer to call discernment. It is sort of interesting to me that the boss was of an ethnic group that also gets some blanket-discrimination, yet, you are correct - he was not too happy to have Hispanic guests in his park. He always claimed that it wasn't HIS prejudice -- he just didn't want to upset his other guests. mmhmm... I let quite a few of those good folks in anyway, because ... they were good folks. Never seemed to upset anybody but him.

In my perspective as the guy who dealt directly with the guests, some of the nicest folks traveled in small, older rigs, and some of the biggest problems (which were actually few and far between) traveled in the big ones, and vice-versa. Nice friendly folks were found in rigs of all sizes and ages.

I think that different rules might be applied, too, for folks that are staying one or two nights, en route to somewhere else, versus people wanting to park their rig for the season.

But, yeah, I see your point about litigation. As has been said, freedom is a delicate balance between freedom from and freedom to.

P.S. I hope the use of "Hispanic" is not offensive to anyone here. I don't use it to "label" anybody, but to recognize the existence of a heritage/people group that makes up a segment of our society.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote