Ten Year Rule?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 12:07 PM   #1

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Ten Year Rule??

I've heard it said that some campgrounds won't accept RVs 10 years or more old. To what degree is this true? Perhaps it once was true.

Thanks,,,
Alan
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think it applies more to RV resorts and less to campgrounds. There's one about 5 miles from me and yes, they have a 10 year rule. Some resorts also have a "size" rule. Before anyone gets their undies in a knot, remember not all "old" trailers are as loved and as well cared for as most all molded towable owners take care of theirs.

I'm betting I could tow my 1988 16' Scamp into the resort close to me and be accepted. It would be pulled by a shiny new Ford F-150 and my trailer is well kept. I could also point them to the Scamp Trailer manufacturer site since these trailers haven't physically changed the outside look since the beginning of time. Of course it's a 2008 model Now the size, not anything I can do to stretch it...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:23 PM   #3

Colorado
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm trying to figure out the "rules of the game" before I start to play.

I wish I could ask "what do I need to know that I never thought of?" I guess I'll have to be ready for some surprises!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #4

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
... . Of course it's a 2008 model Now the size, not anything I can do to stretch it...
When you check in provide a magnifying glass!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #5

Alan, fortunately most campgrounds and resorts have websites. If you know where you want to go (with and without reservations), perhaps it would be wise to check the websites for restrictions, along with amenities that are important to you... hookups to pools!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
When you check in provide a magnifying glass!
It's not THAT small But I do know from reading, some resorts won't take anything smaller than 25' (or maybe bigger?) that even lets out Ten Forward
Old 08-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #7

Name: Lesa
Trailer: In the market!
Arizona
In my experience, that campground and RV Park"rule" is flexible. Usually based on looks. Vintage rigs can be accepted. Mostly there is concern about electrical wiring that could lead to fires and/or undesirable clients/campers hanging around to make a"home"out of a site intended for short-term use.

Friendliness goes a long way.
I wish I had known - electric service comes in different amps. I use 15 amps (get an adapter plug) or off grid solar. I can ask for a tent site and get better rates. Staying a week or a month can bring the price down as can using AARP or Senior rates. Ask about membership rates and rules.
I keep in mind that knowledge is power. Oh and one RV Park thought I broke thier electric meter because I was not plugged into it. They got angry and started charging a minimum electric rate of $8 .... darn pay what you use wasn't in their vocabulary. ....
It's all an adventure!
SimplyLesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #8

Arizona
Oh yes Donna that is true. There are RV resorts like the Encore network that won't allow small rigs at SOME of thier resorts. Thousand Trails can accept Scamps and even have good membership rates about $100 less than their neighbors for 3 month or longer stays. I thought about that because it was about the same 'rent' as a low income apartment.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
It's not THAT small But I do know from reading, some resorts won't take anything smaller than 25' (or maybe bigger?) that even lets out Ten Forward
Donna:

How ironic! I've spent some time at the Airstream forum where there was a discussion of state parks whose sites were too short for 25 footers.

You've helped me refine my thinking some. Perhaps I'm concerned about unwritten rules. At hotels/motels I've found pet rules online that were obscure to misleading. For example the statement "accepts pets up to 20 pounds" will sometimes exclude cats. That is an issue that I know enough to inquire about in advance.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
I've heard it said that some campgrounds won't accept RVs 10 years or more old. To what degree is this true? Perhaps it once was true.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to stay overnight or for a month at a snobby resort. Just not the type of people I am comfortable with. However, I have never had a private campground turn me away, and I prefer State Parks because they tend to be more rustic, and they cannot discriminate.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-31-2014, 03:24 PM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have camped for many years and have only faced the rule once (10 years-25 feet) camping over 3000 nights, half with units under 25 feet and over 20 years. We've only come across it once and were accepted without a blink.

As to fiberglass trailers it's very hard to tell their age....no one believes ours is 23 years old.

Maybe we only stay at the right places.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #12

Alan, you really won't find size/age to be a problem in 90% of the parks, honest. RV Park Reviews, is helpful. But, snobbery aside, most of us don't want to camp next to a bunch of trailers where duct tape is holding them together either. Life is harsh, but if I'm paying money to stay somplace, I'd like my surroundings to be pleasant. YMMV

Now BLM and free sites, all bets are off.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Thanks,,,
Alan

Any place that minimum size and age limits I don't want to be there. National Parks, National Forests, have very nice campgrounds. Most don't have electrical hookups but that's fine with me. If you insist on RV Resorts, you takes your chances and pays the price.

RV Resorts, State Campground == $25 to $50+ per night
NP and NF = free to $15 per night.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:52 PM   #14

Arizona
Quote:
Alan, you really won't find size/age to be a problem in 90% of the parks, honest. RV Park Reviews, is helpful. But, snobbery aside, most of us don't want to camp next to a bunch of trailers where duct tape is holding them together either. Life is harsh, but if I'm paying money to stay somplace, I'd like my surroundings to be pleasant. YMMV

Now BLM and free sites, all bets are off.
I'm not sure if I am making mistakes with my postings. I don't want to become the odd guy out. ..have I started wrong or gotten pigeonholed as not worthy to be a member of the forum?
I'm asking because I want to know and don't want to take things personal unless they are.
You have the flavor of the group.
Thanks in advance.
Simply,
Lesa
Old 08-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #15

Arizona
Omgosh I was typing a PM ... gosh. I can't even delete it now
Old 08-31-2014, 03:55 PM   #16

Arizona
Really embarrassed
Old 08-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #17

Florida
We've camped over 3,000 nights since we retired and have been in all qualities of campgrounds. We rarely stay in expensive campgrounds, usually only when we're meeting the needs of someone else, like visiting a friend or relative.

We have on a very few occasions driven into and out of a campground. However even when we have stayed in some 'seedy' campgrounds we have never had a problem and the people have been friendly.

We accept the campground as it is. State parks can be nice but on weekends we know there will be a lot of children and occasionally the noisy party.

For us we're so happy to be traveling about the background of the park hardly bothers us. We can always move on.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #18

ABSOLUTELY NOT LESA. All kind and honest opinions are desired here. I mentioned the duct tape trailers. Next to that RV resort (which is very nice) not far from my home, there's another one almost next door. Where the trailers look like they'd never make it 5 miles down the road without losing some siding.

I often mention different strokes for different folks, they're all good. If it works for you, it works for us.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #19

Florida
Lesa,

Don't be embarrassed. I've written a number of posts I wish I hadn't. It's the nature of forums.

If you write something and don't want to send it close the page, nothing happens unless you hit post, of course that can happen by accident.

Also as long as a post has edit on it it can be changed or deleted.

This is a friendly group, some think the "F" in FRV stands for "friendly'.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-31-2014, 04:16 PM   #20

Arizona
Thanks
I'm probably sensitive because my Scamp project came with a ghetto/redneck duct taped window on the rear....okay just trying to save face lol