Tent camping with a casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-25-2014, 02:23 AM   #1

Tent camping with a casita

So, I love tent camping but my wife is just not interested. She loves the outdoors and is ok sleeping out there... It's the lack of a kitchen and bathroom that kills it for her.

I am looking at a Casita for just that purpose. Family would rack out ok my Coleman 6 man instant and we'd have a casita hooked up to my Ford Flex for bathroom, cooking and lugging around some gear.. Anyone else do that ?

Any model of the casita seem best suited for that kind of purpose ?

Thanks for any thoughts !!
gelrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome to FGRV,
There are several members here, one particularly who has a Parkliner and uses it as a bath/eating but sleep in their van. You can use you new camper anyway it pleases you. You did not mention your tow vehicle.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
The Flex should do well with any of the Casitas. Which size you choose depends on how much space you want inside. The 16s and 17s give you someplace to sit without turning the bed back into a dinette.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The issue I see with all of the Casitas and the Scamp side dinette models in the 16-17' range is that the kitchen is tiny, and has zero counter space. Given the OP's intended use, I wonder if he might want to look at the Scamp 16' layout 5. It has extra counter space, lots of storage, AND the larger bathroom (at the expense of sleeping space, which he does not need). Hard to find used, I suspect, though, since many FGRV users do the opposite: cook & eat outside and sleep inside. As far as I know, Casita doesn't have anything comparable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Scamp 16 Layout 5.png Views: 27 Size: 39.4 KB ID: 71505" style="margin: 2px" />
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #5

After looking at then with the wife we like the casita 17 with what looks like dual longer beds on the side. With our kids we can do the tent camping thing and then when they are off in college it becomes the perfect camper for me and the wife pulled behind out ford flex.

Thanks all for your feedback we will see how this turns out, there is a few in our area to go look at.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #6

We will take a look at that scamp, but to be honest my wife really likes the White retro interior of the casita
Old 05-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I threw the Scamp option out because you don't see it too often. I think you are wise to consider how you will use it after the kids are gone, because these eggs last a long time. As far as Casita vs. Scamp goes, I guess it's a Chevy vs. Ford thing. People have their preferences. I sensed your heart was set on a Casita from the beginning. Happy travels!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If you like white interior, you could also look at parkliner. Scamps have plenty of white inside if you don't get the deluxe (which means wood cabinets instead of fiberglass ones). But have a look at a few different ones and I'm sure you will get a feel pretty quickly for what you like.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #9

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
We have a camper ,our DD & her family always camp with us they have a tent. DH & I sleep in the camper and carry almost all the supplies. We do all of our cooking outside.The kids sleep in their tent and keep all their personal stuff in it.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
EggCampers also are white inside and are tall enough and wide enough inside to comfortably accommodate a person of six feet four inches tall.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita