Tent to attach to Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Name: michele
Trailer: scamp
Oregon
Tent to attach to Scamp

Does anyone know of a structure you can attach to a 13 ft scamp door?
brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I would suggest you camp in the trailer for a while before adding more camp set and take down work. One of the really nice things about the Scamp or other fiberglass trailers is the simplicity, easy to set up camp, easy to break camp.
I carry a Paha Que shelter, but seldom use it and it's pretty easy to set up and take down. It doesn't fit around the door.

Add what you need for now, thing about what you want later. Some of us have gone through a lot of stuff before we completely settled, then some like us have never completely settled in 8 years 50,000 miles and between 500 and 600 nights in our Scamp.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #3

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I bought a 10x10 canopy off Craigslist. I take it with me only when I'm going for more than 2-3 days. It is one more thing to pack, put up, take down and unpack. But it provides shade if there is none around, and also a sitting room which a 13' Scamp is short on. If you are not sure how much use you will get vs. the $$ go Craigslist or yard sales.
Attached Thumbnails
20131101_181530.jpg   20131102_104246.jpg  

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
These type of structures, that attach at the door opening, are sometimes used with teardrop campers, but I don't know of the source for them. If that is what you want, you may find some info over on the tnttt site. Another option is a bag awning with screen or solid sides. I believe my friend Gage has a side attachment for his rope & pole awning, and possibly may comment on it. As discussed in a previous thread, we use a 12 X 12 screen house that has flaps to close it in as our living room/ dining room. It depends on the weather, location, and duration of stay whether we set it up or not, but usually we do and it works good for us. EDIT; we also have a canopy like Alice shows above, and it has a side enclosure option. We use it as our cook tent and bike "garage" as a friend named it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #5

Oregon
Thank you all for the suggestions. I have two very large dogs that are very spoiled. Thought it would give them more room. My Scamp (crystal) has an awning.
Michele
Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Michele, if you're looking to extend your living area, you might be able to get side panels for that awning and so it can become your outside room.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
One point in favor of the free standing structure versus panels that attach to an awning is the structure can be moved to an area you prefer... like over the picnic table or closer to the fire ring, etc.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadoon View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. I have two very large dogs that are very spoiled. Thought it would give them more room. My Scamp (crystal) has an awning.
Michele
I don't have pets so I don't know what it's really name is but I've seen a type fence around a trailer to keep pets contained. Try a google search for portable pet fence.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #9

Oregon
My dogs are175 and 80 pounds .
Thank you for your suggestion but I would have to what up a 6 ft fence lol
Old 11-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We use a canopy also with side screens to keep the bugs out. When the weather is bad, we add wind screens. It gives us more room. Kevin can protect it so well with tarps that we had a dry sitting area in Kentucky in the midst of a windstorm that took down a tree in our campground.

It keeps the bugs at bay. It gives us sitting space (We are usually there rather than inside the camper.), and it gives us PARTY space.

Yes, it is more weight, more setup, and more time and trouble, but well worth it. Of course, Kevin can set it up himself, but I doubt I can. If you are by yourself with your dogs, you might have to bribe a neighbor to help you.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #11

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
Hi Michele, I was in the same situation as you but I have 3 big dogs and one small one and I did want a shady place for all of us. I purchased an Ozark Trail screen house from Walmart. I can put this up by myself and we have enjoyed it a lot. In addition to using it while camping, I take it to dog nosework trials and it keeps several people and their dogs in the shade. It has an opaque fabric top and screen sides. Two of the sides (opposites) zip so you could have one zip at your camper door and use the other as an exit.
Happy Camping
ShirleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #12

Oregon
Thanks Shirley. Must keep the babies comfortable.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #13

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have a 10x10 canopy like the one shown and bought a hanging tent from Amazon to hang inside it. The hanging tent contains the dogs (mine are small, though) and provides lots more living space. It has a door at one end that fits over the Campster door (just about 6 feet high) and at the other end for entrance and exit. It works great and can also be used as a free-standing structure (the canopy and tent, not the tent alone, which has no frame.) I also bought screen walls for the canopy but have not tried them to see how well they contain the escape artist dog.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #14

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I also use a canopy, I like a shelter over the picnic table and have sidewalls if needed. Sometimes actually have found it easier to hang a tarp over the trailer extended out the front for extra outdoor living space. Comes in handy for periods of rain as shelter. Yes I can put up a canopy & hang a tarp by myself. I never leave home without one or both for camping as the camper is so small.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #15

Name: Trent
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Just ordered one of these last night. Snoop around and you can get it for about $100 off msrp. Not sure if it will work with my burro but a fella cannot have to much gear. Ill try to post a video once I get it.

http://www.kelty.com/p-719-carport-e...tents-shelters
Receo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kelty makes good products. Back-in-the-day, I had a Kelty backboard and pack, sleeping bag and tent! Hope it works out perfectly for you
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #17

Oregon
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Receo View Post
Just ordered one of these last night. Snoop around and you can get it for about $100 off msrp. Not sure if it will work with my burro but a fella cannot have to much gear. Ill try to post a video once I get it.

Kelty Carport ESB | Kelty Tents | Kelty Shelters | Car Sunshade

As Donna D. says Kelty makes good products. I have several Kelty items. I looked this and decided that it would be somewhat difficult to connect to trailer. I could have used it with my then Blazer, that I knew that the Blazer had a finite life. So I ended up with a Paha Que stand alone.

I strongly recommend that you use all the stake out options all the time. I didn't with my Paha Que and broke one of the poles. Fortunately I could get it repaired, it's an aluminum pole.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #19

Registry
I just thought of something else that might work. A nylon mesh fencing like this. Along with 4 or 5 steel fence posts. The fence posts will drive into the ground then can be removed. I use them all the time to hold a beach umbrella and telescoping poles for antenna supports.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Try this thread and look for my posts.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-61545.html
Our Ridgebacks are about the same size, the pens are very versatile.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote