Test a Converter? - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #1

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Test a Converter?

Hello! In researching used Eggs some ads say they dont know if the converter is working. How can I test that?

Old 05-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #2

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
My guess is they do not want to be responsible for it not working so this is a way out?
They also may not know just like you are asking ?
The older rigs converter is often simply a transformer that converts the 120vac into 12vdc and nothing more than that 1 part.

They either light up 12volt stuff or they do not.
Some may have an output to charge a battery but some won't.
That output may be regulated and even designed as a battery charger or it may be a simple 12vdc unregulated feed that will routinely overcharge a battery?

I know for me in the course of speaking on the telephone a few times(never make an exception,ever!) I will decide if I believe the seller in the 1st place and determine his/her ability to tell me what I need to know.

On the plus side a bad converter should not be huge problem and they are fairly simple to replace but depending on your resources this would be a big deal to some and not to others?

Ed

Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #3

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hello! In researching used Eggs some ads say they dont know if the converter is working. How can I test that?
Buying a trailer the converter is probably the least of your worries. You can actually get by with a battery charger as the late Pete did.

If you want to test it one way would be to disconnect the battery and tow vehicle, plug the trailer in. If the 12 lights, etc. work the converter is probably working. How well it will charge the battery is a different matter.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Baj

Name: Baj
Trailer: 96 Scamp 16' SD
North Carolina
I've been testing my converter in my 96 scamp. When plugged into shore power everything works great, but when I tested it to see if it was charging my battery sadly it was not. I read the battery with a multimeter and it read the same with shore power plugged in and unplugged, basically it was just giving me what the battery charge was. I checked all the fuses(battery inline fuse, and all three fuses in the converter) and all checked out fine. So I'm assuming the board that controls the battery charging must be shot. It looks to be the original converter. Any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Do you have battery voltage at the 12v connections on the converter with the converter 120v ac turned off ?

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
I've been testing my converter in my 96 scamp. When plugged into shore power everything works great, but when I tested it to see if it was charging my battery sadly it was not. I read the battery with a multimeter and it read the same with shore power plugged in and unplugged, basically it was just giving me what the battery charge was. I checked all the fuses(battery inline fuse, and all three fuses in the converter) and all checked out fine. So I'm assuming the board that controls the battery charging must be shot. It looks to be the original converter. Any suggestions?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Baj

North Carolina
Yes I do...is there still hope?
Old 05-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
Hi, Baj

Are you sure your converter has the charging function?
Not all of them do, mine included. It's original equipment, as factory installed.
I had to add a charge module to it so it would charge my trailer battery on shore power.

Francesca
Old 05-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Baj

North Carolina
Yes it says it does...its a magnetek(sp?)
Old 05-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #9

Registry
Do you know which model? Is it the 6300 series?

Francesca
Old 05-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
Baj

North Carolina
I'll have to take a look, I do remember seeing 60amp on it...
Old 05-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #11

Registry
60 amp!
Nice...
It would probably be a 4-digit model number...

Francesca
Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
If all your fuses are good, and you have 12vdc power being supplied to your 12vdc loads, which appear to operate properly, I would have a strong suspicion that you have a bad battery which won't take or hold a charge. To check it out, if you have another battery you could temporarily slip in to replace the one you currently have installed, just to leave it on the charger/converter for a day or so, and you should be able to tell if the battery is at fault. If you don't have a spare one handy to replace it with, I would recommend pulling it out and taking it to an auto parts store and have them put it on a load test. They should be able to tell you if it is shot or not.

Just from your description of the problem in your post, I would think the battery is toast.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
Baj

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Do you know which model? Is it the 6300 series?
Francesca
I finally got a chance to take a look and its model# 3220 20Amp.

It says its normal charge rate is only 0.5amp. When I checked the leads coming from that converter that connect to the battery I only get a tiny reading of 0.5v...

Greg, the battery was not totally dead, but was very low, so maybe its possible that the battery was so discharged that the convertor just couldn't bring it back with that small an amp charge rate.
I am charging the battery with a battery charger now and once fully charged will hook it back up and take a reading to see if the convertor is supplying anything to a full normal battery...but I think the charging part of my converter is shot...
Old 05-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #14

Registry
Hi Baj,

There's a thread about the Magnetek 3220 in FGRV legacy posts that you might want to take a look at!
It's at magnetek 3220

Francesca