Texas Small Egg Owner Registration - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Texas Small Egg Owner Registration

Just took my Casita 17' SD in for inspection for plate renewal as the letter indicated that " a passing vehicle inspection is required to obtain registration blah blah blah". So I took it to a local place and gave him my insurance card. While I was there the local state DMV inspector came over to watch the Penzoil guy. I happened to mention that the dry weight of my camper and he told the guy to stop inspecting and that anything under 4800 was exempt and that this Penzoil guy could not inspect it nor did it need approval. I told him the letter said that it did need an inspection and he said no. I asked for his business card and he gave it to me. I went back home, got online, and did the texastwostep.com. Gave them my $60 bucks, Inspection or insurance was never mentioned or flagged and they took my money and hopefully I will get my new sticker in a week.

Anyone else in Tx had a similar experience with their small travel trailer?

Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I took my title with me to the local county court house. They checked on the computer and said no inspection needed due to low weight of the trailer. i paid my fee and left with the new tag for the plate.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
egg reg. in Texas

[QUOTE=GMike A;581645]Just took my Casita 17' SD in for inspection for plate renewal as the letter indicated that " a passing vehicle inspection is required to obtain registration blah blah blah". So I took it to a local place and gave him my insurance card. While I was there the local state DMV inspector came over to watch the Penzoil guy. I happened to mention that the dry weight of my camper and he told the guy to stop inspecting and that anything under 4800 was exempt and that this Penzoil guy could not inspect it nor did it need approval. I told him the letter said that it did need an inspection and he said no. I asked for his business card and he gave it to me. I went back home, got online, and did the texastwostep.com. Gave them my $60 bucks, Inspection or insurance was never mentioned or flagged and they took my money and hopefully I will get my new sticker in a week.

Anyone else in Tx had a similar experience with their small travel trailer?

Quote....

This is correct. Actually, all you have to do is produce vin, and ownership. Insurance is not actually required on the trailer you have. It is covered most of time while in tow, by insurance companies. I have ins. for other things that can happen.
A big trailer or 5th wheel does..have to go thru inspection, not our eggs due to weight being lite.
I just take my tag number every year to DMV and get the new reg. .
I do not even take the form the states sends out, just my current tag number and pay my fee. I am in Texas
weldon freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
My other trailers were bigger so this was a first. Its funny before the DMV got there the other guy was going to fail it because it didnt have a break away device. Had not given it much thought but perhaps the new eggs come with one. Regardless I went out and bought one and am installing it tomorrow. I recall the story of my friend on his honeymoon. He and is new bride rented a nice trailer and drove off. He said he was going down the road and hit a bump and the next thing he knew he was looking out his window and the trailer went rolling by next to him down the road and into the ditch where it was trashed. Fortunately no one was coming down the other lane of the road and no one was hurt except the ribbing he got from friends. So tomorrow I get a break away brake controller.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration