The adventure begins! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #15

Name: Theron
Trailer: Looking!
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Can't you just shift some stuff inside the trailer? I travel with BBQ, generator, propane tank inside the trailer. I generally keep the stuff over the axle, but I can move it forward or back to shift weight.

But, I'm most curious. Did they give you reasons why they are anti-WDH? Was that just for your set-up, in general or some weakness in the build? Did they think you just don't need it or that you would do some sort of damage?
I believe there are 2 reasons:

If you are selling these "light weight" trailers but you are also suggesting WDH's it complicates the identity of the product. Regardless if it's a good idea or not. It's another layer of complexity.

The second reason is most likely your solution, to shift and adjust weight.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #16

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Could add airbags to your rear coil springs to stiffen them while towing if need be!

deryk

Old 01-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #17

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Could add airbags to your rear coil springs to stiffen them while towing if need be!

deryk
That would level out the truck but it doesn't resolve the issue of too much weight on the tongue
Old 01-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #18

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhva View Post
That would level out the truck but it doesn't resolve the issue of too much weight on the tongue
Who says there's too much weight on the tongue? There's no way that thing has more tongue weight than that pickup is rated for.

Define "squatting" when hooked up. Also, drive the thing first. If it's nice and solid heading down the road, there's no need for a WDH.

My car trailer loaded up will squat the pickup 4" or so, drives like a dream. You'll never convince me to put a WDH on it.

If your headlights are in the sky, and you can saw the wheel back and forth without the car turning...then you might need one (although then I say you need a bigger tow rig).
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #19

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhva View Post
The folks at Casita were adamant about me not getting a WDH for my setup. Right or wrong, I was expecting to hear that from them. Other folks online had the same experience at their factory (although they will install one).
I'd take their opinions seriously in this department- they build the trailer and know its limitations. I think many folks don't understand how much stress a w/d hitch puts on the trailer frame, and if a manufacturer strongly urged me not to use one, I wouldn't.

And, frankly, if the truck in that pic is your tow vehicle, I can't see why on earth you think you need a w/d hitch. Surely the Casita's tongue weight is well under the limit for that truck!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #20

Kansas
This will get the towing freaks wound up, but I towed my near 4,000# race car, on the 2,000# car trailer with a 1989 nissan hardbody. I didn't even know what a WDH was. 45 mile round trip to the races every friday night for several years.

It needed to be properly loaded, but that was it. If it handled that, I can't imagine you having the slightest problem. People are towing these things around with matchbox toys.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #21

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Who says there's too much weight on the tongue? There's no way that thing has more tongue weight than that pickup is rated for.

Define "squatting" when hooked up. Also, drive the thing first. If it's nice and solid heading down the road, there's no need for a WDH.

My car trailer loaded up will squat the pickup 4" or so, drives like a dream. You'll never convince me to put a WDH on it.

If your headlights are in the sky, and you can saw the wheel back and forth without the car turning...then you might need one (although then I say you need a bigger tow rig).
Choosing to use a WDH dones't have anything to do with the rating of your trucks tongue capacity? I'm not suggesting they are mutually exclusive, meaning you wouldn't pull a trailer that has a tongue rating above your vehicle, but the need for a WDH is determined by total trailer weight to the wet tongue weight, right?

But you're right, I need to get the wet tongue weight first.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #22

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'd take their opinions seriously in this department- they build the trailer and know its limitations. I think many folks don't understand how much stress a w/d hitch puts on the trailer frame, and if a manufacturer strongly urged me not to use one, I wouldn't.

And, frankly, if the truck in that pic is your tow vehicle, I can't see why on earth you think you need a w/d hitch. Surely the Casita's tongue weight is well under the limit for that truck!

Francesca

I'm with you! And I'm not expert I'm just good at reading up on topics. Like most of ya'll!

But they aren't doing everything perfect. Corners are being cut for the sake of profits, so everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. If it was my company, and I was building brand new trailers to sell with LED lightning, I would make sure there was a voltage regulator in the circuit for the lighting. But they will tell you all day at the factory it doesn't matter. Maybe that small example is a decent analogy for their position on the WDH?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #23

Kansas
Well, tongue weight should be at least 10% of trailer weight (personally, I prefer closer to 15). I can't see that having more than 4-500 pounds of tongue weight, and I wouldn't think twice about that with that pickup, myself.

Would you worry about how it would drive with 3 sitting on the tailgate?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #24

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Well, tongue weight should be at least 10% of trailer weight (personally, I prefer closer to 15). I can't see that having more than 4-500 pounds of tongue weight, and I wouldn't think twice about that with that pickup, myself.

Would you worry about how it would drive with 3 sitting on the tailgate?
I hope we're talking about 3 dogs on the tail gate! That would be fantastic.

I did drive 75,000 miles last year and this year I'm planning on doing the same across 48 states. Just concerned and want to make sure I have the rig setup as well as I can
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #25

Kansas
I can understand that. I think you'll find it tows great as is, once you hit the road, though. A level trailer and proper tongue weight goes a long way.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I am starting to think that air bags on the suspension is a good idea for any vehicle that tows a trailer.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #27

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I am starting to think that air bags on the suspension is a good idea for any vehicle that tows a trailer.
You might get by with load leveling air shocks in place of air bags (easier to install).
Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #28

Kansas
They make a poor shock, poor suspension part, and you risk ripping your shock mounts off. They were never designed to take that. I would never use them, IMHO.