The Burro and the bad tranny - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-17-2006, 09:15 AM   #29

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
I had an '88 Ranger 4WD auto that was capable of being towed on flat-four with the mechanical transfer case lever in "N". It's an absolute no-no with Toyotas. Each brand and model is set up differently. I also lock OD out when I tow. The RPMs at speed are only about 10% different, and the mileage isn't much different at all, but there's a lot more power with the torque converter locked out.

Roger

Old 08-17-2006, 05:05 PM   #30

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...I also lock OD out when I tow. The RPMs at speed are only about 10% different, and the mileage isn't much different at all, but there's a lot more power with the torque converter locked out.
Roger, I'm confused : are you locking out overdrive (OD), which is the top gear ratio, or are your locking out (disabling) the torque converter lockup feature?

Both controls have been offered in various vehicles. For example, my Sienna allows me to select "4" instead of "D" (so the highest gear ratio - 5th gear - will not be used), but it does not have a way to tell the transmission to never use the lockup clutch on the torque converter. On the other hand, some cars have had a button to disable the lockup clutch.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:57 PM   #31

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
On both my Excursion and my Tundra, I believe that the OD "off" switch locks the torque converter, and doesn't allow the overdrive to operate or the torque converter to slip.

Roger
Old 08-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #32

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
A check just came in today's mail, bringing to a happy ending the AAA part of our aborted try to get to Gilbert Lake. So triple A, who initially would not come tow our trailer when we got stuck did in fact reimburse us fully for the tow expense incurred. It wasn't peanuts. Came to $285.00.

No, we did not tell them the local tow guy State Police called had towed the entire rig. No, he did not include this information on his bill, which we sent a copy of with the reimbursement request. So no, the question we really want an answer to, "Why did they refuse to tow the Burro?", has not been addressed.

Maybe it is simply an aberraton, a one-time case involving an ill-informed dispatcher. Maybe not. All I know is, one in the hand is worth two in the bush. Knowledge may be priceless, but money...is green.

Tags
burro