The Day The World Came to Town 9/11 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The Day The World Came to Town 9/11

A great book about the wonderful people of Newfoundland and their response to all the people who were stranded in NL when the USA airspace was shutdown on 9/11/2001.

Their humanity to strangers made me tear up, it made it difficult for me to speak, such kindness to absolute strangers made my heart swell. It really needs to be read by all.

There is, a Broadway play that tells the story as well; I hope to see it, 'Come From Away'.

The book confirms what I feel when we travel through Newfoundland.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:59 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
That was a sad day Norm. My shop was about a mile away from the local county airport with planes going overhead all the time. Was very strange not to have aircraft in the air after the grounding. It was so eerily quite. It was great how the world stepped up and opened their arms and homes to strangers. You're not the only one to get tears. I kept the US flag that was flying that day at the shop when it was time to retire it. I've flown it at home every 9-11 since then along with a salute. I'll look for the book.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #3

Florida
Definitely a sad day. However it did serve to show the character of these people. As you read the story you are continually reading of the strength of these people in both little and big ways.

To me there actions are fully Christian in a non religious way.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #4

Florida
This is from the cover of The Day The World Came to Town 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland.

"When you read this book, I predict tears in your eyes almost from the beginning, but they will not be tears of sadness or grief. They will be tears of joy and pride for the citizens of the little town of Gander, Newfoundland, who bravely stood up and said to the world, 'Today, we are all Americans.' "

-Homer Hickman, author of October Sky.

The book is a cry worth having. At one time we had a marvelous minister who would really reach inside. One week in three his sermons would bring me to tears with a special level of recognition. I have not cried like this since he died.

Interestingly that minister had only three sermon topics... truth, goodness and beauty.

I hope this is not classified as religious. I do know there are times where words, written and spoken, take you to a higher, sometimes tearfully joyful place. This book is a vehicle that did it for me.

Good thoughts to you all.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #5

Florida
Another little Newfoundland story...
We were parked in a Campground on Fogo Island. A large motorhome was parked next to us without a tow car for touring the island. A local Newfoundlander lent them his car for the week. Of course he would not take anything for the kindness.

I have many like stories. The people are very special. The author attempts to explain the source of the people's natural kindness.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16