The downsides of fg travel trailers and camping... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #15

Name: Rob
Trailer: New 1973 Compact II
California
[QUOTE= I want a fg travel trailer. My husband thinks I have an unrealistic, idyllic view of traveling with one and camping with one. He is not a camper .....
Thanks so much,
Tonie[/QUOTE]

My question is this: does he like to travel? Being a nomad doesn't interest everyone.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #16

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
I wish there were 'like' buttons on this forum

I wish there were 'like' buttons on this forum - I would hit like like like all over this one@!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Down side. If you're a type "A" person there can be a down side to camping of any kind.
If you have trouble lowering your heart rate by relaxing, camping might not be for you.
If you have trouble lowering your blood pressure by relaxing, camping might not be for you,
If you are extremely bored by watching a ripple move across a lake, or watching a stream's rhythm, camping might not be for you.
If simply meditating while watching the plants grow drives you nuts, camping might not be for you.
If walking in the woods scares you and you the wild animals will hurt you, camping might not be for you.
If can't laugh at the antics of the local little critters (chipmonks, ground squirrels, etc.), camping might not be for you.
If you don't like to talk to people, then camping might not be for you.

However if you enjoy watching birds play, ripples on the water, finding the rhythm of a stream and watching water roll over the rocks. If you like leaving all your cares and worries back in city, which lowers your heart rate and blood pressure. If you like laughing at the squirrels and their play. If you like looking at and identifying wild flowers, walking on a trail in the woods. If you like watching the clouds drift, or look at all the stars you can't see in the city. Then camping might just be something want to do.

Camping in FGRV-- Most of us spend more time outside than inside the trailer. Many cook outside, some do very little cooking, some find cooking fun and like to try cooking with Dutch Ovens, or Pie Irons. Some like bird watching and seeing other parts of the world.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #17

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
If travel trailers had bigger bathroom facilities and would back themselves into campsites and all sites were perfectly level then RV camping would be just about perfect.

Campgrounds...most commercial campgrounds pack you in like pickles in a jar...sites are small...privacy is limited. I counter that problem by limiting my use of commercial facilities. I look for more remote camping locations...many state parks in my area of the country (New York's Adirondacks and Vermont's state park campgrounds) offer lakefront sites that are large...I guess I prefer what most call boondocking...but I love lakefront locations.

Before you drag hubby off to any campground find out what he likes...canoes?...hiking?....touring National Parks?...exploring the country?
If you incorporate what you love into the RV experience it sould be a home run!

Our first RV trip lasted 6 weeks back in the summer of 1987 and covered just about all the National Parks and natural wonders in the Western United States...our two children learned more that summer than they ever learned in school!
You just can't do that without a RV of some sort. Discover the RV life and America at the same time...it just doesn't get any better than that!....and...we are still at it...now without the kids.

The initial cost of entering the world of RV trailer camping can seem high...but...once you get rolling the oppturnities are endless.

Good Luck...RV Trailer camping is not for everyone.
Try it...you just might love it and if it doesn't work out sell the equipment and move on.

Happy Camping!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #18

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
We have driven my truck over 10,000 miles in the last two months, without a trailer. We look out for and count FB trailers. We have counted 23 in the last two months. That equals 46 big smiles for me and my wife. If you look in the tow vehicles for some strange those people are smiling also. 66 days and counting till we pick up our new Casita, smiling already.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #19

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Toinette: What kind of camping/travel are you hoping to do? If it were out in nature, I would try day trips out to public campgrounds and take a picnic. If something else, big town stuff, just planning to spend a couple of days and maybe a night in a motel just to see if the "travel" part works just not the RV part. There are some good blogs that you could share with him so he could get an idea of what it is like from different people that are doing it.

I never camped as a kid. We went to Disney World and it was expensive to stay in a rental home at Fort Wilderness. I loved Disney. I saw people staying in tents there at Fort Wilderness. So, since it would be nearly impossible to afford lodging, I decided by golly we could tent there. Got a tent and started going to the nearby state park. The next year we bought at annual pass at Disney, went 2 weeks in the spring and two weeks in the fall. That became the way to afford more.

Next, a neighbor had an old pop-up which looked "dreamy" to me for $400.00 in his backyard and now we are on RV #8, looking for a fiberglass molded.

So, if this is to be done, there really needs to be something that your husband wants out of it enough to truly go for it. I have seen couples where one hated camping/RVing for really no reason that made sense to me and it isn't a good situation.

Identify what your husband sees as the down side. If you aren't getting out of the house that much, that can become a "habit" but can be weaned away a little at a time.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Down side? hummmm only real down side that seriously bothers me is when I walk out into the driveway and see it sitting there and I start to question myself as to why I tie my time up with other commitments that prevent me from get it out more & for longer times! Once you start getting out and realize how much of North America you haven't seen yet, its tough not to want to just head out and stay out!

Had to really think about the question to come up with something about the trailer I don't really look forward to. I have to agree with others that if there is one, its the maintaining and cleaning up of the trailer on arriving home.

But having said that our trailers are so small they don't take a whole lot of time to clean them out or do maintenance on, assuming you don't totally ignore items as they need fixing & allow them to become a bigger problem requiring more time/money to fix. I normally just set aside one week-end early each spring to deal with any of items that need replacing or repair due to age and wear and tear and items that are simple yearly maintenance such as repacking or replacing bearings, checking and adjusting the brakes. In the late fall/early winter I take about half a day to repair anything that needs a fix right away and cleaning out the holding tanks and winterize it. Over the 8 years or so I have had the current trailer I probable have spent over that time on average only about 2 additional days a year to work on something that needs dealing with now rather than later and half that time was probable spent doing an updated or modification that really was not all that necessary. Thats not to bad of a trade off considering that there have been a number of years where the trailer has been used for over 120 nights.

Time required to clean up on return is pretty subjective. I leave the trailer with everything in it ready to roll when ever I want. So cleaning it really only means removing perishables from the fridge and washing the dirty towels and sheets etc and returning them to the trailer once clean and giving it a good vacuum & counter & fridge wipe downs. Only need to add clean clothing once I decide I am heading out. If your a type A you may think you have to give the outside of the trailer a wash on return as well :-) but if your like some of my family you would simple give it a bath once a year or maybe even less and declare that the outside shine of the trailer makes no difference to its usablilty.

Another down side might be a place to park it. That can get pricey if like me you live in place where the whole district/city has a law that does not permit boats and RV's to be left parked out in a front facing driveway year round where it is visible - can only park it in front driveway about six months of the year. Fortunately for me my driveway is technically on the side of my property and the trailer fits into the open carport with an inch to spare. I would need to pay about $100 or more a month at a commercial storage yard close to me if I could not fit it in the carport. As I am seriously considering downsizing my home and upsizing my trailer sometime soon, so that may be a down side to owning a trailer that I will need to face.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
It's you and him

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
I want a fg travel trailer. My husband thinks I have an unrealistic, idyllic view of traveling with one and camping with one. He is not a camper, and has never understood the allure of camping. He was never given the opportunity to enjoy camping as a youngster.....

Without maligning him, would you please share what you see as the negatives of traveling and camping with a fgtt? What is it you dread (if anything) about the process of loading up, getting on the road, or setting up/leaving at a campsite? What is the worst part of the whole "scene" for you? What would you change if you could?

Thanks so much,
Tonie
Tonie,

Unfortunately we don't know you or your husband. People who have difficulty traveling in an RV usually have personal differences.

There are all types of trailer travel, as almost full timers, we know a lot of people who travel continuously in an RV. All the successful one's find shared lives. We have two friends who have been traveling for about 8 years, they set a goal to golf in every state, a shared activity for them. Of course golf isn't enough but it's all about creating and discovering shared activities.

There are all kinds of activities from the traditional campfire camping and hiking, not necessarily long hikes but short hikes of discovery, to personal growth, like gaining knowledge in a specific field together, like visiting presidential libraries, studying the geology by visiting the monument parks like the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone and extending it to the great lesser known places like Devils Tower or Craters of the Moon...I'm not talking about vacation blasting through the parks but embracing them to know them. It's taking each other into a sharing experience, it's having fun together..it's trying to be accommodating to each other, I equate it to high school dating.

As one travels in, for most, a frightfully small space, becoming one can make it delightful. We're forever discussing the size of beds and bathrooms. When you were young, was the size of the bed an impediment? Really a small trailer is slipping back to simpler, maybe even happier times where some one's hand on your back while you slept was comforting.

It's apparent that we love our travels... we work to share what we see and know..we're in it for each other.. for us it's not the small trailer that we love, it's not the campfire, it's us together having fun. It's all about love and fun...Really what else is there?

The only downside is when we're not doing it. There's always this or that to complain about. They are nothing to the overall image. In 15 years there's always this or that, but for what ever pain there has been,,, it is overwhelmed by the joys we've had.

Wishing you well...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #22

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
The upside to having a FG Travel Trailer, in my case a Scamp is having peace and quiet, strangers who become friends. Guitar nights, fishing days, bacon and eggs (camp style) coffee. Kicking back, sharing stories, and solving problems. The down side? Having to wait to do it again.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #23

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
The only thing I don't love is cleaning the black tank. But im still glad I have it! I used to hate going home so I don't do that anymore!
Old 06-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
I want a fg travel trailer. My husband thinks I have an unrealistic, idyllic view of traveling with one and camping with one. He is not a camper, and has never understood the allure of camping. He was never given the opportunity to enjoy camping as a youngster.....

Without maligning him, would you please share what you see as the negatives of traveling and camping with a fgtt? What is it you dread (if anything) about the process of loading up, getting on the road, or setting up/leaving at a campsite? What is the worst part of the whole "scene" for you? What would you change if you could?

Thanks so much,
Tonie
1. Negatives of traveling in a fiberglass trailer? (as might be perceived by most).

Small space, limited bed and bath, limited stuff storage, small fridge..

2. Dreads you mention are really minor like setting up or packing up. Really just minutes.

The biggest issues for some is separation from friends, family and home

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote: "(3) lower travel costs (once you amortize the purchase price of the trailer). "
AND.... with an FGRV (vs a sticky) you will have even less cost as there will be a lot less depreciation from new and, if you buy smart, many report making money on the first purchase of a used GRV i.e., buy in the fall and sell in the spring.

Excellent point, Bob! Pretty sure I'm already ahead in that respect.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Lots of good comments already made. We find another negative is too many options given limited time, money, and physical health. We enjoy camping and we enjoy travel. So the annual planning is a problem. Do we fly to Paris or Hawaii, or do we tow the trailer to Glacier or Acadia? It can be tough. We seem to alternate between the two. I guess it's better than too few options.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #27

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
The biggest downside to me is the driving and towing. I like being other places and seeing/doing things, just not the getting there. Honestly it is the most stressful part of the whole affair. But, towing a smallish egg with a full-size pickup is to me the least stressful way to go. I could not stand dealing with a larger rig or towing with a less stable, less powerful, and less capable tow vehicle. All in it is the price you pay to play and I am pretty happy with my setup and tremendously happy with the results. The results are the times and things seen with my pre-teen daughter. And my plan is to continue to travel right on even after she leaves the nest. The little trailer has opened up a whole new lifestyle I only vaguely had an idea of before I got an egg. Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #28

Name: Shelly
Trailer: Casita LD 17'
North Carolina
Tonie, Who said you had to take your husband with you? My husband, like yours, does not see the point in camping. He just doesn't enjoy it. Respect that and leave him at home as I do. He is always invited to go with me but never takes me up on it (well twice he did). He likes gardening, I hate it. He does not make me go out and dig holes and I appreciate that we all have different hobbies. Just because you are married doesn't mean you have to vacation together and love the same hobbies. You DO NOT have to have husband to go camping. I have been 15 states in the past year and have loved every minute of my camping experiences.

Why would you ask on a fiberglass website about the down side of fiberglass and camping? Of course we all love our FG trailers and we love camping, that is why we are here on this forum.