The downsides of fg travel trailers and camping... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
It's you and him

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
I want a fg travel trailer. My husband thinks I have an unrealistic, idyllic view of traveling with one and camping with one. He is not a camper, and has never understood the allure of camping. He was never given the opportunity to enjoy camping as a youngster.....

Without maligning him, would you please share what you see as the negatives of traveling and camping with a fgtt? What is it you dread (if anything) about the process of loading up, getting on the road, or setting up/leaving at a campsite? What is the worst part of the whole "scene" for you? What would you change if you could?

Thanks so much,
Tonie
Tonie,

Unfortunately we don't know you or your husband. People who have difficulty traveling in an RV usually have personal differences.

There are all types of trailer travel, as almost full timers, we know a lot of people who travel continuously in an RV. All the successful one's find shared lives. We have two friends who have been traveling for about 8 years, they set a goal to golf in every state, a shared activity for them. Of course golf isn't enough but it's all about creating and discovering shared activities.

There are all kinds of activities from the traditional campfire camping and hiking, not necessarily long hikes but short hikes of discovery, to personal growth, like gaining knowledge in a specific field together, like visiting presidential libraries, studying the geology by visiting the monument parks like the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone and extending it to the great lesser known places like Devils Tower or Craters of the Moon...I'm not talking about vacation blasting through the parks but embracing them to know them. It's taking each other into a sharing experience, it's having fun together..it's trying to be accommodating to each other, I equate it to high school dating.

As one travels in, for most, a frightfully small space, becoming one can make it delightful. We're forever discussing the size of beds and bathrooms. When you were young, was the size of the bed an impediment? Really a small trailer is slipping back to simpler, maybe even happier times where some one's hand on your back while you slept was comforting.

It's apparent that we love our travels... we work to share what we see and know..we're in it for each other.. for us it's not the small trailer that we love, it's not the campfire, it's us together having fun. It's all about love and fun...Really what else is there?

The only downside is when we're not doing it. There's always this or that to complain about. They are nothing to the overall image. In 15 years there's always this or that, but for what ever pain there has been,,, it is overwhelmed by the joys we've had.

Wishing you well...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #22

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
The upside to having a FG Travel Trailer, in my case a Scamp is having peace and quiet, strangers who become friends. Guitar nights, fishing days, bacon and eggs (camp style) coffee. Kicking back, sharing stories, and solving problems. The down side? Having to wait to do it again.
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #23

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
The only thing I don't love is cleaning the black tank. But im still glad I have it! I used to hate going home so I don't do that anymore!
Old 06-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #24

Florida
Quote:
I want a fg travel trailer. My husband thinks I have an unrealistic, idyllic view of traveling with one and camping with one. He is not a camper, and has never understood the allure of camping. He was never given the opportunity to enjoy camping as a youngster.....

Without maligning him, would you please share what you see as the negatives of traveling and camping with a fgtt? What is it you dread (if anything) about the process of loading up, getting on the road, or setting up/leaving at a campsite? What is the worst part of the whole "scene" for you? What would you change if you could?

Thanks so much,
Tonie
1. Negatives of traveling in a fiberglass trailer? (as might be perceived by most).

Small space, limited bed and bath, limited stuff storage, small fridge..

2. Dreads you mention are really minor like setting up or packing up. Really just minutes.

The biggest issues for some is separation from friends, family and home

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote: "(3) lower travel costs (once you amortize the purchase price of the trailer). "
AND.... with an FGRV (vs a sticky) you will have even less cost as there will be a lot less depreciation from new and, if you buy smart, many report making money on the first purchase of a used GRV i.e., buy in the fall and sell in the spring.

Excellent point, Bob! Pretty sure I'm already ahead in that respect.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #26

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Lots of good comments already made. We find another negative is too many options given limited time, money, and physical health. We enjoy camping and we enjoy travel. So the annual planning is a problem. Do we fly to Paris or Hawaii, or do we tow the trailer to Glacier or Acadia? It can be tough. We seem to alternate between the two. I guess it's better than too few options.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #27

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
The biggest downside to me is the driving and towing. I like being other places and seeing/doing things, just not the getting there. Honestly it is the most stressful part of the whole affair. But, towing a smallish egg with a full-size pickup is to me the least stressful way to go. I could not stand dealing with a larger rig or towing with a less stable, less powerful, and less capable tow vehicle. All in it is the price you pay to play and I am pretty happy with my setup and tremendously happy with the results. The results are the times and things seen with my pre-teen daughter. And my plan is to continue to travel right on even after she leaves the nest. The little trailer has opened up a whole new lifestyle I only vaguely had an idea of before I got an egg. Good luck with your decision!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #28

Name: Shelly
Trailer: Casita LD 17'
North Carolina
Tonie, Who said you had to take your husband with you? My husband, like yours, does not see the point in camping. He just doesn't enjoy it. Respect that and leave him at home as I do. He is always invited to go with me but never takes me up on it (well twice he did). He likes gardening, I hate it. He does not make me go out and dig holes and I appreciate that we all have different hobbies. Just because you are married doesn't mean you have to vacation together and love the same hobbies. You DO NOT have to have husband to go camping. I have been 15 states in the past year and have loved every minute of my camping experiences.

Why would you ask on a fiberglass website about the down side of fiberglass and camping? Of course we all love our FG trailers and we love camping, that is why we are here on this forum.
Gourdamental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #29

Florida
[QUOTE=Timber Wolf;527113][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]The biggest downside to me is the driving and towing. Towing a smallish egg with a full-size pickup is to me the least stressful way to go. I could not stand dealing with a larger rig or towing with a less stable, less powerful, and less capable tow vehicle.

Tim,
I'm not sure a truck is the least stressful way to tow.

We've now used two different tow vehicles, not many I admit. Though both have easily done the job of towing, it's now obvious to us that the Odyssey is more comfortable (and more capable).

We took both of the rows of seats out of the Odyssey to move some furniture... it's really huge and very capable, averaging over 32 mpg for 300 miles delivering the furniture.

Lastly the stress of towing decreases with experience and time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #30

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
I was in the same boat - (ex) hubby had no camping experience and certainly wasn't too interested. I rented a small motorhome for a week in Alaska - he loved it....tho' I think he liked driving it the best.

Just try a rental - let him pick out either an RV or a camper trailer, and go somewhere on his bucket list.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #31

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:

Thanks so much,
Tonie
Have you heard of, "Separate Vacations Together"? You go your way, he goes his way.... But most of what the others have said, I agree with.
The most important things to consider are: What can you live without? And, What are the basic necessities for safe and enjoyable travel/camping.
Is hubby handy with tools, conversant in mechanical and electrical stuff?
Are you each other's best friend? Good luck and welcome to the FGRV family. I hope!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #32

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
The downside of FG travel...
When the trip is over and you have to go home.
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #33

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Lots of great insights, information and ideas in this thread. Obviously you touched on something dear to many in this community.

I will mention one more thing I've not seen mentioned yet specific to FGRV's. Due to the distinctive look and relative rareness of fiberglass eggs I think you will find that people are MUCH more likely to approach you to inquire about your unique rig. This can be a plus and a great way to meet people or it can me a minus depending on your personality and temperament. Just one more thing to consider. Best of luck in however it turns out for both of you.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I truly think that "downsides of fg" trailers had more to do with how could there be a downside since they are small, easier to tow, etc., etc. Surely we can all imagine going on and on about the positives and someone else just shaking their head in disbelief.

So, it made perfect sense to be asking the question here since so many people stepped up to share good suggestions and information. Where else could you go and get this much attention this quickly to a concern that you have?
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #35

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
FG trailers tend to be small, with simple, unelaborate interiors. Some (not all, obviously) would consider this a downside as compared to larger RVs.

Downsides to travel trailer camping and traveling, in general? Well, I don't like planning out meals and shopping for the food, packing the trailer with food and clothing and towels and whatnot, wondering what I'm forgetting (although I do use a checklist). I don't enjoy long hours behind the wheel to get from boring Oklahoma to someplace I want to be (Rocky Mountains and Great Lakes are my favored destinations). I wish I could drive 70-75 mph instead of 60-65. Once in a great while I wish I had high speed internet while I'm camping... but not too often. That's really the worst of the downsides for me.

Despite those considerations, it is very much worth the effort. I've been trailer camping for 10 years. Before that I did some occasional tent camping and even a trip where I slept in the back of a minivan. Trailering is like having a vacation home that I take with me. I can have a little house by the lake, a little house in the mountains, a little house in the forest, or any other place I would like to be. I can step out of my door and smell the pines or cedars (instead of car exhaust), hear the water flowing over river stones (instead of the neighbors' voices), and see beautiful vistas (rather than the privacy fence in back or the houses out front). I sleep in my own bed, eat my own food, and do my own thing wherever I choose to be.

My DW used to come along camping, but she decided that she prefers staying home with the computer and TV. But she does not begrudge me doing what I enjoy, so she says go ahead. If we travel together to Michigan to visit relatives, usually I'll tow the trailer but stay with her in a nice hotel room because it's a treat to her; then while at her mother's I retreat to my own bed in the trailer at night, while she sleeps in the house (and complains to me afterward how Mom's husband makes noise at 4 or 5 AM and wakes her up... hey, it's her choice.) I usually go off and camp for a night or two during these trips, too. Here's my campsite last summer above Michigan's AuSable River:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AuSable campsite.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	84905

I guess I have an idealistic view of trailer camping also... despite having done it for a decade!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Downside? How about coming home... sigh.

If you buy an egg shape trailer, be prepared to show it off A LOT.

You'll learn to embrace checklists. Menu planning, packing, deploying at site and site leaving.

If you like to decorate, it's a small space and you'll have a ton of fun. Do you mind spending money on "trivial" things?

You'll learn to embrace dirt. If you're a person who likes a floor as clean as an operating room... stay home. Honestly, dirt happens. The upside, ten minutes and it's CLEAN!

You'll learn to be fastidious in putting away things. There's no such thing as leaving the breakfast AND lunch dishes to be done later. There's not enough room to procrastinate.

Did I mention... coming home?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #37

Name: Faith
Trailer: currently shopping for a Scamp
Pennsylvania
Jim Bennett,
I see you are a canoer and am wondering about carrying a canoe on our tug vehicle. How much space do you have between tug and trailer? How long is your canoe?
PatchWork
PatchWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #38

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Capable Tow Vehicles

[QUOTE=Timber Wolf;527113] (Clip) "But, towing a smallish egg with a full-size pickup is to me the least stressful way to go. I could not stand dealing with a larger rig or towing with a less stable, less powerful, and less capable tow vehicle."(Italics Added)

This is not necessarily a consensus of the group.

There are any number of smaller and less powerful vehicles that, when sized appropriately and set up properly, make excellent tow vehicles that can do as good a job and, all things considered, often do an even better and more stable job of towing than many of the full size pick-ups out there. On top of all that, the fuel economy will usually be a lot better, and having a smaller, more economical vehicle when not towing is a blessing in itself.

I had the entire world to choose from when it was time to replace my mid-sized GMC Sonoma and I replaced it with an almost identical sized Blazer of the same year, simply because I knew what a great TV they made for our size FGRV's.

This is all said as, if having to have a full-size pick-up is a negative for your husband, you can reassure him that it's not needed at all, and also reassure him that he doesn't need one to compensate for any personal issues either. LOL

"It doesn't always take the elephant to pull the ox cart"..... "Me"......

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #39

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
To everyone who has replied to my query, thank you so very much! I am reading, and re-reading them all. I appreciate very much all your comments and suggestions. This is indeed a great place to learn!

Tonie
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:25 PM   #40

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I still work and have a Scamp 13. What works for me is I can prep for a trip days before I actually leave. The day I leave it takes me about an hour to finish pre check and leave. Driving such a small trailer is a non issue. Once I arrive it takes me an hour to set up all the tables awnings and whatever I want to take to be comfortable. Then I am free to do what ever I want or do nothing. I can have as many days of this as I want. When my sentence is over it takes me about an hour to pack up and leave. When I get back home I park the trailer, level it and hook up the power for the fridge. After that I go in and relax. Clean up and unpacking can be done on my time rather than a big list of chores that have to be done right now as in tent camping.

Its just plain easier than tent camping and even a motor home.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote