The downsides of fg travel trailers and camping... - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #61
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Upside/downside is a personal thing. If you ask a bunch of fiberglass trailer owners you will get mostly upside. Ask your hubby what his upside/downsides are and work with that. One thing I didn't see here is for me the dreaded laundromat. Definitely a downside.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #62

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
The upsides definitely outweigh the downsides or none of us would do it, but surely those of you who have responded by basically saying "There are no negatives!" must have at least a few things about camping/trailering that you don't enjoy? How about emptying the black water tank or porta pottie? That's not fun. And I agree with Larry about the laundromat (only a problem on long trips). Here in the PNW I hate the condensation we get on the windows in cold weather (that's why we head south of course). And we have occasionally had obnoxious neighbors (but like Norm, we don't camp too much in the summer and avoid the most popular crowded places when we do).

I'm curious if the OP's husband has some specific concerns about the whole thing. Never towed a trailer before? Backing a trailer into a camping spot? Bugs? Bears? Noisy neighbors? Getting robbed? Claustrophobia in such a small place? Uncomfortable? Knowing his specific concerns or objections would be helpful in finding solutions.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #63

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
The only desert around here is in ME, and yes, they have a campground, and it rains a lot. The rest are 2500 miles away. Headed to Utah for 8 weeks come Sept....

Must be some kind of bugs that bother you in the desert, got horse flies?, how about ticks, or noseeums?
At Canyonlands NP I ran into tiny sand flies that rose up as I stepped across the sandy ground. I got out of there quickly. I think they're somewhat seasonal, though.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #64

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our shortest trip is two months, Laundromats are not too bad. Ginny's attitude about laundry: it's a once a week event, two loads. A lot less laundry than we do in a week at home. Many campgrounds have laundry as do state parks.

As to dumping the black tank, it's a twice a week job and literally takes minutes. I don't focus too much on the contents.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #65

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We don't mind laundromats at all. A nice place to meet people. Heck, when I was young and single, it was a great place to meet girls.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #66

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I do not think they make a trailer big enough nor with enough storage to satisfy my wife . She is thinking about going home on the day we leave.
When camping I try to spend as much time outdoors as possible to avoid conflict. I have thought about just going by myself but that may just create a different set of problems . She is a great wife but a poor traveler. We are heading to California in the fall to visit her Aunt. It will be an interesting trip in many ways!!
To each their own
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #67

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
The only downside that I can think of is that I can't put the top down on my truck. We take two major road trips per year, one with the Scamp, and one with the convertible. Both are pleasant and fulfill a Yin and Yang in life.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #68

Name: Mireille
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
It is horrible. We drive 90 minutes to the nearest beach. We spend an arduous 10-15 minutes setting up the trailer. We pull out the lawn chairs and awning. Ugh! We pull out a couple of cold beers to refresh ourselves from our labors. We struggle to find something to do for however long we are staying. We spend another awful 15 minutes packing up. We go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-12-2015, 06:38 AM   #69

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
I will preface this by saying I am planning to buy a FG trailer for my retirement (3 yrs) and spend the first year entirely on the road. I am a bachelor and rent, so I have no ties holding me back.

My biggest concern is boredom and loneliness travelling alone. I have worked jobs in my life where I was a long way from home, and I know that I did miss family and old friends, although I did become good friends with coworkers. I make friends easily, but not the same as spending time with family and old friends. I have done my share of travelling in my life and love seeing new places, but always travelled with someone else. My longest adventure trip was 2 months in my 20s, and a 3 week trip a couple years ago. I was ready to go home on both occasions.

I have posted on here before on my concerns about travelling alone and the boredom and loneliness issues, and appreciate the feedback that I received. I understand I will make new friends on the road, but those will be short term friendships and not the same as family and old friends. I am a people person. My biggest hobbies are golf and fishing, and I don't enjoy either by myself as much as with a couple buddies along. As a bachelor, I am use to spending time alone. But a couple days a week, I want to hang out with people I know for awhile. It is kind of scary to think about not being able to do that whenever I want.

I remain dedicated to my plan of fulltiming for the first year - it's a goal. I've even thought about if I do get too bored or lonely travelling alone, I can always head home and spend a few weeks in local campgrounds and state parks before heading out on the road again. But some mornings, like this morning, I wake up and want to get together with friends. I love travelling, but also know that family and friends are very important to me. I know I will wake up some mornings a couple thousand miles from home and wish I was in my hometown.

I see this as the biggest negative of my plan.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #70

Florida
A thought

My wife, Ginny, would agree with you. She has told both my boys that should she die before me that they need to encourage me to find a travel companion, that I need a navigator.

You certainly need to make it known that you want a travel partner. In my case it wouldn't be too difficult, we belong to an Escapee park with at least a dozen widows who would love to travel and are experienced. Here I go assuming you want to travel with a woman.

My suspicion is that there are plenty of women who would love the adventure of travel. Certainly finding the person is the problem.

Outside of our Escapee park, my second place for looking for a travel partner would be my church. We're Unitarians, kind of an eclectic group with a fair number of outdoors people and older people. Maybe more importantly, at least a similar view of life.

I know one person who did it and ended up with an adventurous but dramatically younger person. It worked for a while but the differences eventually surfaced.

Ginny reminded me that there is an Escapee club for singles.. it might also be a place to find a travel partner.

At the very least I'm certain there are others who feel as you, they want to travel but not alone. I'm also sure they are afraid to make the little leap required to travel with a stranger but I'm certain it's a possibility.

Wishing you well, you have 3 years to find someone.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-12-2015, 08:04 AM   #71

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Mark, maybe some of those good friends of yours would like to meet up with you somewhere for a few days or a week even if they couldn't travel along with you the entire way. If one of your friends was still working for example and couldn't get away for a long trip, he or she could maybe fly to wherever you are and then stay with you in your trailer for a week and then fly home.

I have to say that I sometimes miss my home too and the friends I have here. I find we make acquaintances on the road, but not what I would call long term close friends - that takes time, years sometimes. I usually start to miss my house and garden too (except in the winter!).

I think your plan of returning home and spending time in a campground or RV park close to home to get your people fix is a good idea too. Many full-time RVers are snowbirds. They may have a homebase RV park somewhere warm for the winter and then another homebase at "home" for the summer. They meet people and make friends in both places and enjoy their traveling getting back and forth between the two places. Many snowbird RV parks have organized activities too. Like Ginny, I recommend you look into the Escapees Club and their Singles group.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #72

Florida
Returning Home,
Like Kathy, returning home is almost mandatory, at least in our relationship. We have had 3 years where we have not returned home and personally I have felt no difference.

Our first year out we felt we needed to return for Christmas and did. We learned it would have been better to return any time but Christmas, just too busy for people. We have never returned for another holiday visit.

Now that we're selling our NH home, I'm sure we'll return here for shorter periods, but I expect more intense periods.

We have bought into an Escapee Florida homebase. It's purpose is to provide a place when we can no longer travel...a really ugly thought.

Here's a link to the Escape singles group. They have a web site you can join.

https://www.escapees.com/solos

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #73

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
I will preface this by saying I am planning to buy a FG trailer for my retirement (3 yrs) and spend the first year entirely on the road. I am a bachelor and rent, so I have no ties holding me back.

My biggest concern is boredom and loneliness travelling alone. I have worked jobs in my life where I was a long way from home, and I know that I did miss family and old friends, although I did become good friends with coworkers. I make friends easily, but not the same as spending time with family and old friends. I have done my share of travelling in my life and love seeing new places, but always travelled with someone else. My longest adventure trip was 2 months in my 20s, and a 3 week trip a couple years ago. I was ready to go home on both occasions.

I have posted on here before on my concerns about travelling alone and the boredom and loneliness issues, and appreciate the feedback that I received. I understand I will make new friends on the road, but those will be short term friendships and not the same as family and old friends. I am a people person. My biggest hobbies are golf and fishing, and I don't enjoy either by myself as much as with a couple buddies along. As a bachelor, I am use to spending time alone. But a couple days a week, I want to hang out with people I know for awhile. It is kind of scary to think about not being able to do that whenever I want.

I remain dedicated to my plan of fulltiming for the first year - it's a goal. I've even thought about if I do get too bored or lonely travelling alone, I can always head home and spend a few weeks in local campgrounds and state parks before heading out on the road again. But some mornings, like this morning, I wake up and want to get together with friends. I love travelling, but also know that family and friends are very important to me. I know I will wake up some mornings a couple thousand miles from home and wish I was in my hometown.

I see this as the biggest negative of my plan.
Mark, some possibilities come to mind. One, it's very easy to meet and make new friends in campgrounds. Two, you can use internet access and phone to visit with existing friends and family. Three, if you're going to spend a few weeks in some area, try attending some church services around that place; many churches welcome visitors and have friendly people who will be glad to make your acquaintance (maybe even invite you to a potluck after the service), and you may be able to continue visiting with them over the course of your stay. Just a few ideas on how to cope.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #74

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

My biggest concern is boredom and loneliness travelling alone. .
Mark why not plan some of your trip around attending some of the Fiberglass Rallies. We have a few single travellers that do that as they make their way around North America. I have also attended some of the large rallies on my own. You will meet lots of people and more than one are two are usually heading on someplace else after and are happy to have someone tag along with them for at least a few days.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #75

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Yeah I've thought about friends joining me along the way for a week or so here and there. But as you all well know, not everyone is the adventurous type.

And yes, I know I will make friends along the way.

In my perfect world, it would be nice to have someone else travelling alone to caravan with. I posted my same thoughts on a thread about women fulltiming alone, not it's hard to not come across as some kind of pervert.

When the time comes, I may seek out someone interested in caravaning along my route - my heart is set on a western loop thru northern Rockies, then Pacific Coast Highway, then Yosemite and northern Cal, all in about 6 months timeframe, then probably south Texas for the winter for my first year. Not necessarily caravan every step of the way, but maybe just someone interested in the same loop to hang out with from time to time along the way.

Who knows? Maybe I could meet a nice lady interested in having a little security and tag along. PS I am a nice guy. I may try to find someone on here interested in 3 years.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #76

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
When the time comes, I may seek out someone interested in caravaning along my route - my heart is set on a western loop thru northern Rockies, then Pacific Coast Highway, then Yosemite and northern Cal, all in about 6 months timeframe, then probably south Texas for the winter for my first year. Not necessarily caravan every step of the way, but maybe just someone interested in the same loop to hang out with from time to time along the way. I may try to find someone on here interested in 3 years.

Sounds like a great trip. Ring me up in 10 or 12 years when I retire.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote