"The Egg" info? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2006, 07:31 AM   #1

Trailer: None currently
Hi,

In the "albums" section there are three pictures of a newer looking fiberglass camper called "The Egg". Does anyone have more information or contact information on this unit? Thank you!

-Jim B.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Only thing I know is that our webguy took these pictures himself on one of his trips. As I recall, there wasn't a lot of information on it. I stand to be corrected, but I believe the woman in one of the photos is the wife of the man who makes them.

Hopefully, Mike can tell us where it was.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
More info here:

http://www.casitaclub.com/archives/i...?showtopic=700
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Thanks for the link, Charlynn. I was curious about these, too.

In that Casita Club discussion, the subject of the tandem axle configuration came up. I think Charles was distracted by the very short overhang behind the rear tires - the effective axle centre is midway between the two axles, which isn't really all that far back compared to the body length. In combination with the rear location of heavy stuff (like the kitchen) which Mike mentioned, it doesn't surprise me that the weight distribution is fine.

The "broken" look was also discussed there. I think it's the change in the mid-body seam line that really makes it look broken, rather than the roof line.

To me, the most distinctive characteristic of this design is the application of the rear-door layout typical of very small trailers (Compact Jr., Lite House, etc) to a larger than usual size. The layout doesn't require standing room near the front, and thus allows the sloped front profile. I would be interested to know if this actually reduces drag in a realistic towing configuration, but I doubt we'll never know.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. The thread from Casita Club is from 2001 and appears to be outdated. The listed email address doesn’t work and the phone number in the posting does not currently belong to the owner mentioned. My guess is “The Egg” never really took off or is out of business.

-Jim B.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What I remember (and don't hold me to it ) is the manufacturer was based in Oakridge, OR (east of Eugene), built less than a half dozen and is now out of business. Too bad
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I had also heard they were out of business.

It was a nice looking trailer.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #8

Hey Jim, if you can find the moulds you could buy them and restart production! This is a tradition in the moulded fiberglass travel trailer industry. I hope you have a small fortune you don't mind losing...

For the right buyer, this could be nice trailer. Perhaps there weren't enough of the right buyers.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #9

I found the molds. They are for sale. Send me an email if you're seriously interested and I'll forward it to the owner.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:
I found the molds. They are for sale. Send me an email if you're seriously interested...
Sorry, no, I don't have that small fortune to lose that I mentioned!

Seriously, restarting production does seem to be a tradition in the moulded fiberglass travel trailer industry - maybe someone else is up to the challenge. The Egg isn't quite right for us - we're better off with our current B1700.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #11
ScottTSF

Hello,

I am with the company who built the molds for Terry Crawford. He has since went out of business leaving us with the molds. They are for sale and in excellent condition, always stored inside. If you would like to bring "The Egg" back to life contact me at Tom Smith Fiberglass, Inc. You may email me and I'll send you some pictures. Also feel free to call if you have questions about them. 541-741-2809

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-22-2006, 02:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Cool.

It would probably help any potential investor if there were some solid information on the Egg itself. Interior details, tank size, available options, wiring, etc. and etc.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
Cool.

It would probably help any potention investor if there were some solid information on the Egg itself. Interior details, tank size, available options, wiring, etc. and etc.
I believe, as their fabricator, Scott is only in possession of the molds. He legally retains them as they were an unpaid for custom order item. The Egg's creator, Terry, who went bankrupt in this venture would have all of the other information you are requesting. If I remember correctly, Terry was a hands on kind of guy who wasn't much into the internet or email.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Which could be , among other things , why he went out of business.
In this day and age, I'll just bet with internet and email he would have sold more than 6 of these.
I wish I had money.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:01 PM   #15

Thanks all for the feedback on my original question. Hopefully Scott will find a new owner/manufacturer for his molds. Later…
Attached Thumbnails
egg.jpg  
Old 03-22-2006, 07:24 PM   #16

Thanks for posting the floorplan, Jim. While it doesn't meet our current needs, the more I see of this design the more I admire it. The taper in width towards the front was not apparent (to me, anyway) in the photos, but is obvious in the plan, and is an interesting detail.

Tags
eggcamper