The end of cheap gas? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
No refinery in the U.S. will run out of feed stock in the foreseeable future.
Refineries run most efficiently at full capacity, cutting crude rates is complex and expensive to the process.
Storage of finished product is limited.
When the storage approaches capacity, prices drop to clear inventory.

The price you hear from OPEC is for sweet crude. More refineries today are equipped to process sour crude, purchased for a fraction of the price.
American refineries receive only a fraction of their feed stock from OPEC suppliers.

To be fair, three dollar fuel would be "cheap gas" if you think thirty cent fuel in 1970 was "cheap gas".

Old 12-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #16

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
The price of gas will go up and down at the whims of global politics what will give it a permanent rise is fuel tax to help pay for crumbling infrastructure.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #17

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Well if all bought Electric cars and trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
This past summer we bought gas for less than $2 a gallon for the first time in years. In late August we travelled from one side of the country to the other. Gas was typically around $2.30/gallon. Currently gas can be had for $2.20 here in Vermont. But the days of cheap gas may be ending soon. Last week OPEC agreed to cut production. In today's news they have gotten non OPEC producers to go along. The intent is to reduce supply and raise prices. I think travelling is going to cost us more. Perhaps a lot more.
:Opec would soon be out of business and our kids would be a lot healthier.
Heck up here in the great white north gas has never been cheap except back in the day when they sold it in Gallons Not Litres.
stude
Old 12-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #18

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
I console myself with the price of gas overseas, like Europe. $9 a gallon, or $9 a liter or some other high price. Our dodge caravan loses a few miles per gallon pulling Peanut, but not many...and if we camp in Oregon it's basically free for Paul (wounded veteran--not wounded enough for a price break in WA where we live, but we still get disability discounts here for half price...) so it's a lot cheaper than hotels AND we don't have to fly. I'd pay a lot to be able to travel and not have to fly.

My arms get so darned tired...
ola
Old 12-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
It is what it is. In my lifetime I've spent from 32 cents a gallon to $4.60 a gallon (all in the US). But I've also had wages from $1.35 an hour to over $45 an hour. We can't have cheap gas, cheap campgrounds and then want high wages. Back in the 1970s when I was paying around $1.75 a gallon, my wages were around $9 an hour. It's all relative. The BIG difference is the MPG I get now versus what I got "back-in-the-day."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #20

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It is what it is. In my lifetime I've spent from 32 cents a gallon to $4.60 a gallon (all in the US). But I've also had wages from $1.35 an hour to over $45 an hour. We can't always have cheap gas, cheap campgrounds and then want high wages. Back in the 1970s when I was paying around $1.75 a gallon, my wages were around $9 an hour. It's all relative. The BIG difference is the MPG I get now versus what I got "back-in-the-day."
I really miss those gas war days, in high school in mid 60s I worked at a station that hit $0.18 for one day in Central Oregon. PS. I was making $1.00 per hr. Good job for a kid.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #21

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
I was amazed to be able to buy gas for $1.85.9 a gallon in,

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf View Post
I really miss those gas war days, in high school in mid 60s I worked at a station that hit $0.18 for one day in Central Oregon. PS. I was making $1.00 per hr. Good job for a kid.
:Iowa this past summer, but I think those days are now gone to. Right now in Canada were up to $1.21.9L and going up more.
Stude
Old 12-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Iowa
Gas war

I had to explain the concept of a gas war to the Boy Scouts once. Some got it some did not. My dad was fond of saying about gasoline prices and then the refinery process "She ain't worth a dime in the ground". If there's no market and no money worldwide it's hard to raise the price. Do they teach fractional distillation in school these days? How about how a Bessemer furnace works? Lost sand foundry grey iron casting? And finally can you get black lung mining clean coal?
I think I gotta go back to high school! For English if nothing else. We need a geezer bill of rights.
Dave
Old 12-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #23

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Discussion on the radio the other day about autonomous cars and how there will be a sharp reduction in accidents ( and thus injuries ). It only follows that politicians will eventually pass a law making it illegal for a human to drive a car. Follows that only autonomous cars will be allowed on the roads.
Don't know what the time frame for this development is, but I'm thinking it over before plunking down $50,000 for a new tow vehicle.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #24

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Don't know what the time frame for this development is
I'm relatively young, but I don't expect that could happen in my life time.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #25

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I'm relatively young, but I don't expect that could happen in my life time.
Ontario has just now allowed autonomous testing on all public roads in the province.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #26

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Anyone remember when you used to get a nice dish or towel or glassware when you filled up with gas?

Low prices and extras, too. Use more gas! There's plenty, you know!
Old 12-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #27

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Remember that Tesla driver who lost his head when he was playing a video game and his self-driving car went under an 18wheeler?
Old 12-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #28

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Remember that Tesla driver who lost his head when he was playing a video game and his self-driving car went under an 18wheeler?
I believe that Tesla had 'driving assist' and wasn't fully autonomous. Pays to read the manual.