The end of cheap gas? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #41

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I could not agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
How I wish USA to migrate to the normal metric measurement system...
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I bought a metric tape measure years ago , all it did was confuse me . Everything I tried to measure was in inches and feet.
I gave up and threw the tape in my junk tool box.
Maybe my grandkids can figure it out , there more tech savvy than I am.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #43

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
The sky is not gonna fall. These changes will comes slow, and especially when the U.S. is pumping so much oil.

On the other hand, it is what it is, and there ain't much we can do about it except grouse!

Frank
Prices tend to ratchet upwards faster then downwards.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #44

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
Prices only rise quickly before I buy a stock. After I buy, the prices tend to drop quite quickly.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #45

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
We have already migrated as far as necessary to function well. Selling gas by the liter would only allow price and tax increases to go unnoticed. In a country as big as ours, miles works better than kilometers, (makes us feel closer!)
We have completely migrated to metric in the automotive industry to accommodate out sourcing and globalization, Calibrating a speedometer for American roads is a small concession.
Heck the UK still uses Miles and MPH, AND they drive on the WRONG side of the road to boot. Canada chose to drive on the right side of the road, so why not Miles as well?!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #46

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
Hi: minke... The downward ratchet starts as soon as I have my truck filled up!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
OK Floyd, now explain Fahrenheit.
...the zero point is determined by placing the thermometer in brine: he used a mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride, a salt, at a 1:1:1 ratio. This is a frigorific mixture which stabilizes its temperature automatically: that stable temperature was defined as 0 °F (−17.78 °C). The second point, at 32 degrees, was a mixture of ice and water without the ammonium chloride at a 1:1 ratio. The third point, 96 degrees, was approximately the human body temperature, then called "blood-heat"
According to a letter Fahrenheit wrote to his friend Herman Boerhaave, his scale was built on the work of Ole Rřmer, whom he had met earlier. In Rřmer's scale, brine freezes at zero, water freezes and melts at 7.5 degrees, body temperature is 22.5, and water boils at 60 degrees. Fahrenheit multiplied each value by four in order to eliminate fractions and increase the granularity of the scale.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
OK Floyd, now explain Fahrenheit.
...the zero point is determined by placing the thermometer in brine: he used a mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride, a salt, at a 1:1:1 ratio. This is a frigorific mixture which stabilizes its temperature automatically: that stable temperature was defined as 0 °F (−17.78 °C). The second point, at 32 degrees, was a mixture of ice and water without the ammonium chloride at a 1:1 ratio. The third point, 96 degrees, was approximately the human body temperature, then called "blood-heat"
According to a letter Fahrenheit wrote to his friend Herman Boerhaave, his scale was built on the work of Ole Rřmer, whom he had met earlier. In Rřmer's scale, brine freezes at zero, water freezes and melts at 7.5 degrees, body temperature is 22.5, and water boils at 60 degrees. Fahrenheit multiplied each value by four in order to eliminate fractions and increase the granularity of the scale.
Books burn at Celsius 232.7778. Not quite as catchy is it?
It's not just the number, but I'm sure Bradbury liked the ominous Teutonic sound of the word Fahrenheit?
The irony of the concept of a book about a time when all books are banned was further exacerbated when it came out on tape! I don't know what the title would then be on either scale??
Old 12-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #49

Registry
Hi: floyd... At what temp does tape stick?
Old 12-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #50

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Water freezes at 0 and boils at 100. Kilometer is 1000 meters. Kilogramm is 1000 gramms. 1 liter is 20 shots of Vodka. Simple and intuitive :-)
Old 12-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #51

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: floyd... At what temp does tape stick?
It ain't ZERO!
You gotta check this out though.And WATCH the video.....

https://fiberfixnow.com/thevideo
Old 12-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #52

Registry
Quote:
Water freezes at 0 and boils at 100. Kilometer is 1000 meters. Kilogramm is 1000 gramms. 1 liter is 20 shots of Vodka. Simple and intuitive :-)
Yeah!....Some folks do need it simple, maybe even intuitive!
But then, after 20 shots of Vodka I guess its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, and nobody cares!
Old 12-12-2016, 09:22 PM   #53

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
In 1999 the Mars Climate Orbiter was lost due to a unit mix-up. That was a big one.

This one is a small one: Twice a year we help with a sale of donated clothing, so tape measures are used all the time to size things. Somebody bought Chinese dual unit seamstress tape measures, inches and millimeters (I was told they were cheap). As we started using them, something seemed off, so I folded the tape and found that those "inches" were 33.something millimeters. I trusted that the millimeters were good, but what were those inches? It turned out that China has a traditional unit of length that is now defined to be 100/3=33.33... millimeters, by some modern convention. Anybody heard of those?

We pulled those tape measures out of use before we started selling people some very tight fitting pants!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:52 PM   #54

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
I'm familiar with an area of southeast Texas that just went through a massive boom/bust cycle with the Eagle Ford Shale.

A few new wells are being drilled, but other wells were capped or further exploration put on hold until it becomes economically feasible to start producing again.

There is also the recent find in West Texas:

Quote:
Nov 16, 2016: The U.S. Geological Survey says a deposit in West Texas is the largest continuous oil and gas deposit ever discovered in the United States. On Tuesday, the USGS announced that an area known as the Wolfcamp shale contains 20 billion barrels of oil and 16 trillion cubic feet of natural gas.
Reserves are estimated to be three times larger than the massive Bakken Formation in North Dakota.

I don't think the US is headed for oil/gas scarcity and high prices any time in the near future.

Here's a New York Times article from Dec. 1: Oil Prices: What’s Behind the
Volatility? Simple Economics

Good article and this is the last paragraph:

Quote:
When are oil prices likely to recover?
Oil markets have bounced back considerably since hitting a low of $26.21 a barrel in New York in early February.

Some analysts still question how long the current recovery can be sustained because the global oil market remains substantially oversupplied. In the United States, domestic stockpiles are at their highest levels in decades.

But over the long term, demand for fuels is recovering in some countries, and that could help crude prices recover in the next year or two.
June Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:51 AM   #55

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:

Simple and intuitive or not, it is doubtful that the US will switch to the metric system. The second reason is that the cost to change out a zillion road signs would be prohibitive. The same is somewhat true about printed literature describing points of interest (e.g., to get to Historic Hillside in, turn left at Oak Avenue and drive 3 and 4/10 miles).
But the primary reason is the same as you have in your dislike of the English system. People who have used the English system all their lives are not comfortable with the metric system, and find it as confusing as you find the metric system. English system users have a good mental visualization of how far a mile is, but not a kilometer. I somehow cannot imagine a football referee announcing it is "first and 9.144." Or a baseball commentator announcing "that was a 152.88 kph fast ball" (95 mph).
The bottom line is that if you are going to live or travel in the US, you are going to have to deal with the English system of weights and measures whether or not you like it, just as a US citizen traveling to Canada is going to have to deal with the metric system, and in one particular province, road signs in the French language. And not all systems in worldwide use are as "intuitive" as the metric system, yet everyone leans to live with them. Think 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 28, 29, 30, or 31 days in a month, or as generally accepted 4 weeks in a month, 12 months in a year or 365-1/4 days, etc.
And incidentally, whether or not 20 shots of vodka equals one liter is dependent upon the honesty of the bartender!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #56

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Simple and intuitive or not, it is doubtful that the US will switch to the metric system. The second reason is that the cost to change out a zillion road signs would be prohibitive. The same is somewhat true about printed literature describing points of interest (e.g., to get to Historic Hillside in, turn left at Oak Avenue and drive 3 and 4/10 miles).
But the primary reason is the same as you have in your dislike of the English system. People who have used the English system all their lives are not comfortable with the metric system, and find it as confusing as you find the metric system. English system users have a good mental visualization of how far a mile is, but not a kilometer. I somehow cannot imagine a football referee announcing it is "first and 9.144." Or a baseball commentator announcing "that was a 152.88 kph fast ball" (95 mph).
The bottom line is that if you are going to live or travel in the US, you are going to have to deal with the English system of weights and measures whether or not you like it, just as a US citizen traveling to Canada is going to have to deal with the metric system, and in one particular province, road signs in the French language. And not all systems in worldwide use are as "intuitive" as the metric system, yet everyone leans to live with them. Think 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 28, 29, 30, or 31 days in a month, or as generally accepted 4 weeks in a month, 12 months in a year or 365-1/4 days, etc.
And incidentally, whether or not 20 shots of vodka equals one liter is dependent upon the honesty of the bartender!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Hi: CPW... What about a New York minute? Because miles are so much longer than kilometers it takes forever to get anywhere!!!
Old 12-13-2016, 03:18 PM   #57

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
The bottom line is that if you are going to live or travel in the US, you are going to have to deal with the English system of weights and measures whether or not you like it, just as a US citizen traveling to Canada is going to have to deal with the metric system,
I an US citizen.And I dislike English system and prefer metric system.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #58

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I think that if we just kept the oil that we get from Canada and what we get in the USA right here in our two countries, we would have affordable fuel prices.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #59

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's usually a problem with attempting to control supply to drive prices up. It generally doesn't last long. The results of OPEC controlling supply for several years is that more countries are now producing it's more difficult to control supply. I noticed that in news on oil prices today the crude prices are going down. Local gas prices are going down almost to what they were a year ago.

All the while Dow Jones is going up. IRAs and 401Ks are reaping the benefit.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #60

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Let's see.

Water freezes at 0°C, and boils at 100°C.

1 cubic centimetre (cc) of water is equal to 1 milliliter (ml) and 1 gram (gm) weight.

I calorie is the amount of energy to raise 1 cc of water through 1°C.

1,000 millimetres (mm) is one metre (m) . 1,000 metres is one kilometer (km).

Pretty darn simple, eh?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote