The Era of the Clueless - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #21

Name: Angela
Trailer: Unknown
Michigan
Paul, Good for you. How horrid would you have felt if you had sold it to him and then his house exploded? I hope no one was hurt.
Amcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I recently purchased a 120 VAC push button for my trailer dolly. I wanted to use the light in the push button with 12VDC, so I needed a 12VDC bulb. The one in the button was a small bayonet bulb, like I had seen in so many cars. I was surprised that they made a 120VAC version.

I went to Canadian Tire and there was a young kid stocking the light bulb section. I thought, "what luck, this should be easy". I presented the bulb and said, "I want something with this base, and is good for 12V". He looked blankly at the bulb and said that he had never seen anything like that. I was a bit surprised, especially when a quick scan of the rack that he was stocking turned up a package of two lights that were perfect. I pointed them out to him and he looked at me like I had said something stupid and says, "that's not exactly like the bulb you showed me".

I just said that it, “would do” and walked away.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Thanks for the laugh . . . . I can play this exchange, with no problems, in my mind. Sad isn't it?
Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking What time is it?

The one we have is we were shopping at a bookstore and as we were checking out, noticing that the young woman clerk was wearing a watch, asked her for the time. She walked several steps away, looked at a desk mounted clock and told us the time. Upon asking if the watch on her wrist didn't work, she replied that it was analog and she could only read digital clocks.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #25

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
yeah,,well,,, my wife thinks its rude when i hold up my hand to stop them and say again,,,,i want a(fill in the blank), not help in knowing that i need a (same fill in)!
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
....... He went to the other hardware store up the street, and bought himself a "gas" water heater. That night, his home exploded.

Don't mess with Darwin.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #27

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
At least it sounds like it is not just a female thing. I get so tired of dealing with car repair people who assume, since you are female, that you know nothing. Often, they look right over my head to the hubby. I admit that it has become easier to just let him do this sort of thing.
On occasion though, I am nasty in the computer stores. If they ask me what I want, I launch into discourse that demonstrates that, no, I don't need help.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #28

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amcarter View Post
Paul, Good for you. How horrid would you have felt if you had sold it to him and then his house exploded? I hope no one was hurt.
Sadly, he and his young son were both killed. It made a lasting impression on me, and the lesson I learned became part of my employee training.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #29

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
At least it sounds like it is not just a female thing. I get so tired of dealing with car repair people who assume, since you are female, that you know nothing. Often, they look right over my head to the hubby. I admit that it has become easier to just let him do this sort of thing.
On occasion though, I am nasty in the computer stores. If they ask me what I want, I launch into discourse that demonstrates that, no, I don't need help.

CindyL
yup cindy, my wife has banned me from buying from the local chevy dealer. she bought a car there a few years back, and when i took her in to pick it up, the sales guy ignored her and kept talking to me,,,no matter how many times i said,,"i don't know, its her, car ask her"
Old 04-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #30

Trailer: Boler 1984
I try NOT to shop at Can Tire on weekends when their experienced staff is off and the high school kids are manning the store. I once asked a question on a weekend and ended up with five teenage helpers showing me around the store. What a blast!
As a senior I take pride in my parades when I can.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #31

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
yup cindy, my wife has banned me from buying from the local chevy dealer. she bought a car there a few years back, and when i took her in to pick it up, the sales guy ignored her and kept talking to me,,,no matter how many times i said,,"i don't know, its her, car ask her"

Had a banker like that. My wife was working full time and wanted to buy a new car (used car - we NEVER buy new cars - I am already a cancer survivor and do not need that highly carcinogenic "new car smell").

Banker insisted that I had to co-sign the note

Since I have always been VERY insistent that she have her own credit rating and credit facility - (in case anything happens to me) , I refused to co-sign.

He got all excited and made "mouth noises" along the lines of "she must be a poor credit risk".

I asked him how he planned to explain to HQ about the sexual discrimination charges I was planning to bring against the bank under the human rights act - with a copy sent to the newspapers and TV networks.

She got the loan, based on her own credit rating, income and etc.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #32

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post

CindyL
I am by no means a feminist, and I can tell you that it is not just a female thing. I have more experience and often more knowledge than the writer at the repair desk,yet on the rare occasion that I must deal with them, they assume I know nothing....Generally they assume and hope for the ignorance of anyone who walks in the door.
Maybe you should just drop the "hubby" off at the mall on your way to the repair shop, then they won't look over your head,... below it maybe, but not over it!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #33

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
I love when I go to Lordco/ Napa/ Home Depot etc. & speak with a male....I ask him a question, (usually with my husband beside me) & I am certain that they think he must be a ventriloquist, because, they almost always ignore me and answer him. Or they treat me like I have zero idea what I'm talking about and tell me all about the product...or better yet I ask them for a product they don't know about ...

...i.e. "Do you have any silicone remover?"

Reply..."well I'm very familiar with silicones and they don't make a product that removes it"

Me, "we'll in the States it's called 'McKanica Silicone caulk remover', not sure if they have that product here but can you check your computer for the Canadian equivalent?"

Him (not checking the computer), "Nope they definitely don't make a silicone remover anywhere, you must be confused, you have to use a blade, I know Silicone"

I just turned around and walked out at that point....I have zero patience for being treated like an idiot, when it's the idiot I'm talking to.
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #34

Registry
I help design switches for children with disabilities. I admit that most times the hubby ends up making it. He can't help himself. The time I tried to do the thing myself, he could not help himself taking over, not in a way that indicated he thought I could not do it, but because he likes to do that kind of thing (Last week, I came home with the parts to make a stand for videotaping with my iPad. He said, "I don't have time," and then had it done in a couple of hours. Works great.) I love going into a Radio Shack though and asking for the exact kind of switch I want. Most times, the workers just point in the direction of the switches, so I go hunt for what I need.

CindyL
Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #35

British Columbia
Radio shack workers know which part of the store has switches?????

Thought product knowledge and location that was grounds for dismissal!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #36

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Hey.... Radio Shack still exists? Here in Calgary, they are all the Source now.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #37

Registry
I think that Radio Shack will not be carrying electrical switches like I need much longer. What I find now is what they have left.

CindyL
Old 04-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #38

British Columbia
Tandy Leather sold the Radio Shacks (Radioactive Snacks?) in Canada to help pay their bills .

In Canada, they became "The Source" (of frustration at inept staff peddling shoddy junk at inflated prices)
Old 04-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #39

Trailer: Boler 1984
The Source. Like buying pre-packaged meats at the grocers. Lots of packaging - very little filler.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #40

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Radio shack workers know which part of the store has switches?????

Thought product knowledge and location that was grounds for dismissal!
yup,,,there on the wall by the back door, so you can flip them easy when you come in....