The Grand Solar Experiment---A+ - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #41

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Gerry the battery did require an upgrade to my onboard charger an a programmable MPPT solar charger which I lucky had bought to start with. I had several conversations with engineers with Progressive Dynamics, ReLion and Morningstar to help with the optimum set up for my battery. All three companies were very helpful and seemed not to mind assisting me with my solar set up. My fridge is a compressor refrigerator and runs between 2 and 4.5 amp hours to run and will consume around 95 amp hours a day at 95 plus degrees and around 35 on a 70ish degree day.
lgboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #42

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hi Arlis
Of course I remember you, your Scamp and the first Ridgeline I ever saw, but there was nothing in your post that suggested it was you.

Good to hear from you.

Walt
Old 06-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #43

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13ft
Ohio
I too have been pleased with my 100w suitcase solar panels in my 2016 Scamp 13ft. I mostly camp in primitive campgrounds. I have LED lights, charged all my electronic devices (phone, tablet, bluetooth devices, eReader, etc), ran the furnace at night, water pump, and a 12v SiriusXM receiver for several hours. I am still using the factory size 27 deep cycle battery.

Last year, I was at the Ohio Fiberglass Rally and decided not to hook up to electric. Just used my panels; it was cool, so I didn't need the AC. People were ???, but it was a great conversation starter
tames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #44

Name: Diana
Trailer: Scamp 13
Oregon
Loved reading your post - we are on our maiden voyage with our new Renogy solar panel suitcase system. All good so far! Quick question - you are running your fridge thru battery, not propane, correct? A friend said even with solar I should use propane. Thanks!
Dianaellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #45

Ohio
Not sure if you are replying to my post, but I run the fridge on propane at the campsite. Running it on 12v would drain it very quickly. I do run on 12v while traveling, but my Ford truck has the tow package which has the ability/wiring to charge the battery while traveling. I have had no problems with this setup.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #46

Ohio
A suggestion would be to get a fridge thermometer and a wireless monitor. I can then monitor the fridge temperature in the truck while travelling and at the campsite. This really came in handy one time when I forgot to turn off the 12v switch on the fridge and also had the propane on. The fridge temp kept going up which made me go take a look at my stupid mistake blah!

I use the Ambient system that I got from Amazon, but there are many other products too. I have the monitor, 1 remote sensor and 1 fridge sensor. When at camp, I set the remote sensor outside to see what the outside temp is.

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weath...nt+thermometer
Old 06-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #47

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
I used to have a battery, inverter, and small generator combo with my old Casita. The one I have now has the overhead AC and running it from a battery/inverter setup is a lost cause.

I had 2 golf cart batteries, 2500 watt inverter. It would run the 5000 BTU air conditioner through the nite until 7 AM so I could get a good night's sleep.
Would have needed a really large solar panel to recharge the batteries during the day. Didn't need AC daytime since I was working or in the water.

This was in South Texas where from May to Sept. you at least need AC to sleep. When awake you can float in the river, sit in the shade, etc.
Looks like I need to go to Maine or Colorado in July & August. In CO those months you will see about as many TX license plates as local.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar