The HC1, Happier Camper new trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2015, 12:10 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Thank you all for your comments and input as it is much appreciated. We have just finished up Modernism Week Trailer Show in Palm Springs and displayed the new HC1 prototype for the first time. The show was a huge success with many different trailers and people all with the same love of restoring their trailers and showing them off. We had hundreds of people come check out the new prototype and received their comments. All comments were overwhelmingly positive, even more than I had anticipated. We at Happier Camper know our trailer is a radical change from your usual stick built or fiberglass trailer. We have tried to keep our trailer in a reasonable price range and still keep a quality product and a classic egg shape. We are trying to keep the HC1 as versatile yet as simple as possible. The HC1 may not have the high end appliances and amenities found in luxury trailers, but it does offer every bit the comfort and functional space of any trailer in our market.

After renting out our 13-foot trailers these past few years and getting a lot of feedback we decided to change the standard formula. When you buy a HC1 you will be able to use it 7 days a week, not just have it sit in your driveway until your next camping trip. You can move furniture, clean out your garage, or any other use you can imagine. You can then hose down the floor and drain the water out of our built-in drain...just lower the tongue and the water drains right out of the woodless, honeycombed fiberglass floor. When the time comes to go camping you can set the trailer up to suit your needs. King in the back dinette in the front, double in the back double in the front, two singles side by side or whatever your configuration needs may require. There will be options for a sink and tap, a thermoelectric cooler and a toilet, all built into our proprietary Adaptiv cube system and all removable. All our cubes offer storage to eliminate wasted space, and are stackable so you can open up one side of the trailer to store your bikes, scooters or whatever you wish and then restore it to your desired layout after use. As to the stove you don't see, we will offer a free standing stove that you can use in or out of the trailer, important as our experience is that the stove rarely gets used inside the trailer. Some other major features you will notice on the HC1 are the rear opening door with an option for a tent off the back, a wider entry door with what Mo noticed as a deep cavity for a storage unit that will be installed, and what my 6 foot plus self considers the best feature, the wheel flares that are not just cosmetic but functional, giving the bed almost a foot of extra length and more "square" inside dimensions for easier sheet and bedding placement.

The HC1, if nothing else, will be easy for everyone to use. It's my pleasure to share pictures of the prototype over these next few days as we continue to refine our trailer, and know that we greatly appreciate your feedback and input as we complete production.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #22

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
Mikmay, will this cube system allow the owner to buy a basic trailer and then purchase additional cubes/modules as funds permit?
June Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Somehow I am not finding any pics except for the few on the home page. Are there any from the recent show and what's the "Cube/Module" system about?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:16 AM   #24

Name: Stephanie and Mark
Trailer: Trillium Sidekick 4500
Washington
Wow! Can hardly wait to see more!

Thank you for the additional information. The ability to reconfigure the inside of the trailer and to use it as a hauler too--wonderful!! Love all the big windows too.

So glad to hear that the show was a success- looking forward to seeing more photos from your Photo shoot. I'm sure you'll be setting it up in many of the different configurations you were describing.

I'm sure there is some way of locking the cubes together so you don't have shifting?

Really want to see the what comes stock and what you will have to buy to really be able to configure it to the different described configurations!

I appreciate the option of not having the cooker locked in and being able to have 2 double beds? Unheard of in my limited experience looking at 13' eggs.

If the sink module is self contained, will it have tiny (2 1/2 gal) fresh and gray containers that sit below in the module? Will there be a way to connect to city water or electric at a powered camp site? Will there be lights and will they be run off 12v DC / or 110 AC? Any options for Solar to charge a battery? Cooking outside is great-But I do need an option for those rainy mornings in the Pacific NorthWET to make my coffee or tea with out getting soaked so, a place to plug in a kettle or set a small butane cook top to heat water would be a great convenience.

Will there be an option for an awning that attaches to the trailer?

NO WOOD! hurrah! no rot!

Being a person who loves to move things around to get a fresh perspective in a room I am thrilled by the prospect of this trailer.

Now we get down to the real thing What Does Affordable mean as far as cost? AND how much does it weigh with the standard set of modules??

Thanks for all the info and please keep it coming!!
Stephanie
sbergeron00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
Mikmay, will this cube system allow the owner to buy a basic trailer and then purchase additional cubes/modules as funds permit?
Yes mo our plan was to allow you to buy at the lowest price possible and add cubes and accessories as you wish
Old 02-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergeron00 View Post
Thank you for the additional information. The ability to reconfigure the inside of the trailer and to use it as a hauler too--wonderful!! Love all the big windows too.

So glad to hear that the show was a success- looking forward to seeing more photos from your Photo shoot. I'm sure you'll be setting it up in many of the different configurations you were describing.

I'm sure there is some way of locking the cubes together so you don't have shifting?

Really want to see the what comes stock and what you will have to buy to really be able to configure it to the different described configurations!

I appreciate the option of not having the cooker locked in and being able to have 2 double beds? Unheard of in my limited experience looking at 13' eggs.

If the sink module is self contained, will it have tiny (2 1/2 gal) fresh and gray containers that sit below in the module? Will there be a way to connect to city water or electric at a powered camp site? Will there be lights and will they be run off 12v DC / or 110 AC? Any options for Solar to charge a battery? Cooking outside is great-But I do need an option for those rainy mornings in the Pacific NorthWET to make my coffee or tea with out getting soaked so, a place to plug in a kettle or set a small butane cook top to heat water would be a great convenience.

Will there be an option for an awning that attaches to the trailer?

NO WOOD! hurrah! no rot!

Being a person who loves to move things around to get a fresh perspective in a room I am thrilled by the prospect of this trailer.

Now we get down to the real thing What Does Affordable mean as far as cost? AND how much does it weigh with the standard set of modules??

Thanks for all the info and please keep it coming!!
Stephanie
Thank Stephenie for your interest in our trailer, yes all our cubes will lock into the floor and to each other ( think Lego) and yes our sink modules, will have a water and grey water tank with a dc powers tap . We will have dc ports all around the inside perimeter so you can move it to different areas and also place it outside. Of course the trailer will have options for solar ,lighting, fans, awnings, ac/dc and just about anything else you would like. Like most fibreglass trailers they will be built to order , different window sizing and options would be one of the changes we could make.As to pricing one of our original goals was to keep it as affordable as possible .We hope to keep the base price point comparable to other base priced fiberglass trailers but because we are still in the prototype stage it is very hard to come up with any firm number as of yet.
In the coming months we will establish a reasonable price point.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #27

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
This is looking GREAT! I can hardly wait to see more photos so I can see how it all fits together. The sleeping options really add to its usability. Personally speaking we prefer single beds if sleeping together also means climbing over each other when the bathroom calls in the night!

We never cook inside our Trillium, and store a lot of 'stuff' in the Honda Element.

Hope they give thought to weight
and add an awning (likely not difficult)
and get some photos out along with possible prices!!!

Canadian outlet??
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There is a scrolling banner on that main page. You have to click on it to see additional photo and info. Sure like the no wood floor and thermoelectric cooler. Folks rave about the Engle brand. Hope you are ready....you won't be able to build them fast enough for the demand.

That domed shape roof, will an A/C be able to mount up there? Or another area to combat those 110 degree palm spring days?

Edit: I like the deep cavity for a storage unit that will be installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg  
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
This is looking GREAT! I can hardly wait to see more photos so I can see how it all fits together. The sleeping options really add to its usability. Personally speaking we prefer single beds if sleeping together also means climbing over each other when the bathroom calls in the night!

We never cook inside our Trillium, and store a lot of 'stuff' in the Honda Element.

Hope they give thought to weight
and add an awning (likely not difficult)
and get some photos out along with possible prices!!!

Canadian outlet??
thanks Hazel for your positive comments,one of our goals at happier camper was to build a trailer that allowed for comfort and functionality , in our rental business we have found everyone likes different
Sleeping arrangements and in this trailer you will make that choice to fit your needs. Our trailer will offer twin , single ,double ,king , or even the entire trailer can be bed . Of course there will be options for an awning as well as well as other items available on most other trailers of this size. As to Canadian I am Canadian and yes we will have a trailer in Canada.The weight of this trailer should be as close in dry weight to other fiberglass trailers of this size . Because we are still in the prototype stage and have not finalized material and component composition we are still not able to give the true weight, but we will strive to keep the lightest weight possible.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #30

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
There is a scrolling banner on that main page. You have to click on it to see additional photo and info.
I'm lost - do you mean click on it to see the three main pictures of the prototype (as in my original post) or are there additional detail pictures and information?

If so, I'm unable to find that link to additional pictures and details. If there is something I'm missing, would you post up that link?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #31

Texas bug,
they have a real nice tumblr. Scroll down a bit, on the right you will see three buttons "Home" "next" "prev" for example here is one page
The Happier Camper • We're building a trailer! Preview of the HC1...

And here are older modernism week photos. I'm hoping for 2015 photos. Take care.
The Happier Camper • Modernism Week in Palm Springs

On a side note, I love Karen's Scamp camping rules
https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019...Xsc1qinwvc.jpg
Old 02-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
There is a scrolling banner on that main page. You have to click on it to see additional photo and info. Sure like the no wood floor and thermoelectric cooler. Folks rave about the Engle brand. Hope you are ready....you won't be able to build them fast enough for the demand.

That domed shape roof, will an A/C be able to mount up there? Or another area to combat those 110 degree palm spring days?

Edit: I like the deep cavity for a storage unit that will be installed.
Thanks ken for your optimism . Having eight different fiberglass trailers we have tried to incorporate some of the best features into our HC1 . Our trailer is somewhat of a hybrid . One of my best features on my 4500 was the door mounted storage unit, not the best looking but very usefull so our storage will be built right into the door. Our wide bodied burro has a nice large bed but is a little to wide and heavy for your average tow vehicle so we widened just the bed area for more comfort and the wheel base for a more stable ride but you still have great visibility without having to resort to larger mirrors or a larger vehicle. The scamp and bolers we own have the great classic egg shape look and we've try to retain that look. The U Haul and burro have the easy to clean and sparkling look of the double hull which we have retained to an even greater degree with no hanging headliner. The perris pacer with its large side window which we will offer as an option. The TAB with its opening rear hatch to access the kitchen only ours will offer it as kitchen use as well as an entrance .and your lowly utility trailer only ours will offer style when towing or when parked your driveway , no more neighbours to complain of an unsightly trailer . We've even borrowed features from the marine industry as our fiberglass trailer are are just as closely related to a boat build as a frame built trailer ,you will be able to remove all of the interior and hose down the floor and drain the water out of the all fiberglass floor. As to air conditioning one of the original drawbacks which turned out to be positive for us was that we had to raise the drop down floor to make a level floor,to compensate for that we raised the trolley roof and with the inner shell and stiffening we are able to offer a roof top air as an option.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #33

I'm still miffed by those stolen trailers. But to come back and say I'll make my own is a true entrepreneurial spirit . Tell Derek, if he ever has some free time, to jump on the forum here to say hello we'd like to see him back, it's been a while. But we now know what he's been up to, crafting this wonderful design with you Thanks for sharing all your info Mike.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #34

Texas
Quote:
Texas bug,
they have a real nice tumblr. Scroll down a bit, on the right you will see three buttons "Home" "next" "prev" for example here is one page
The Happier Camper • We're building a trailer! Preview of the HC1...

And here are older modernism week photos. I'm hoping for 2015 photos. Take care.
The Happier Camper • Modernism Week in Palm Springs
Ken, when I go to the page that has the 3 big prototype photos, there is no Home/Next/Previous option. If there are new multiple photos besides the three main prototype photos, could you post the link to that information?
Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #35

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
What province will these beauties call home?

More questions ................
Will this unit be good for boondocking - ie -propane fridge, heater?
Lights that work via a battery?
Personally speaking, water and holding tanks aren't required for 'our' type of camping. I suspect that they will be considered standard issue though.
Does the double hull mean they do/can have insulation?
Can hardly wait to hear more - and will make sure I send possible new buyers to your page.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
What province will these beauties call home?

More questions ................
Will this unit be good for boondocking - ie -propane fridge, heater?
Lights that work via a battery?
Personally speaking, water and holding tanks aren'tas required for 'our' type of camping. I suspect that they will be considered standard issue though.
Does the double hull mean they do/can have insulation?
Can hardly wait to hear more - and will make sure I send possible new buyers to your page.
Yes hazel this trailer will make for great boondocking although we won't have propane the trailer will be equipped with a 100watt flexible solar panel and all led lighting there will also be ac/dc ports all around the trailer connected to a progressive dynamics pd 4000 mighty mini. .We also feel water and holding tanks are not nescasary for all ocations which is why we built it into our modules take it when you want ,leave it at home when all you plan to do is sleep in it.there have been many times I've camped and never used the sink or stove at all . The double hull will have reflitiv insulation wherever possible. Although the trailer will be built and sold in Calafornia first we also hope to have the trailer available in Ontario Canada as well as other provinces.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:39 PM   #37

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Oh, Wow, its Amazing!!!! ...of course, I'm a huge fan of those smooth interior walls, and I also love the modular aspect as well.
Congratulations on your new baby.
Any chance you will bring one of these lovelies to Algonac in the fall??
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:10 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Ontario
Thank you Pam ,our plan is to have three prototypes ready for spring/ early summer. We hope to have one of the prototypes travel the central and east coast I will definitely be at algonac as well as many other rally's as we can get to. We missed last years rally due to the build and I don't want to miss it again
Old 02-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #39

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Woohoo!! I'm, so VERY happy to hear that!!

See you in the fall!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Ontario
Thank you everyone for comments and suggestions. I know the fiberglass community are very knowledgeable and informative and will help us in our decision making . I thought it was best to have a introduction on the hi I am thread but if the moderators would like they can merge the thread and I can answer your questions here on general chat .

Tags
happier camper, hc1