The Joy of FGRVs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
The Joy of FGRVs

Message sent to a Television News Feature Reporter
copy: my fellow FGRVers

Hello Elise,

You may recall doing interviews at "Bolerama" (small, fibreglass travel trailers) at Long Beach Conservation Area last July 12th. I am still disappointed at the non-answer that I gave to your question, "what do you like most about your trailer?"

It should have been "IT'S THE PEOPLE". Fibreglass Recreational Vehicle (FGRV) enthusiasts are instant friends right across North America, and beyond. We recognize each other as like-minded minimalists; as one owner put it, "back-packers on wheels". We love to help each other and to display any modifications or personalized improvements we have made. Just announce on our FGRV website a place and date for a Rally and a dozen or more trailers will show up. An established happening like Bolerama can easily draw 100 participants, to renew old and to form new friendships.

We remain close with many couples that we met at our very first rallies some eleven years ago and we camp together several times in most years. And as others have mentioned, our tiny trailers are great conversation starters. In campgrounds, service stations, outside of grocery stores, anywhere, interested strangers find us easily approachable.

You are not expected to do anything with this information. But I feel better after airing my regret at having muffed a great opportunity to extol the virtues of FGRVs..

Regards,

Des
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Well put Des. My wife and I are just starting on this FGRV way of life. We've been to two Rallies so far and we were both struck by how nice the people are. I know we've already made friends we look forward to seeing next season. In fact I don't think we've run into anyone that we don't care to see again. There is a camaraderie that naturally forms when you meet others that share the relatively rare attraction to the glass eggs. That's definitely part of it.

I hope all your experiences stay positive, your travels stay safe, and that we run into you at some campground somewhere, someday.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #3

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Nolan View Post
Message sent to a Television News Feature Reporter
copy: my fellow FGRVers

as one owner put it, "back-packers on wheels".

And as others have mentioned, our tiny trailers are great conversation starters.

Des
So are those of us that are pulling a BIGGER FG trailer still invited to join up with the "back packer on wheels" and the "tiny trailer" folks????
On the door step of picking up our new Oliver, possibly next week.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan and Carol View Post
So are those of us that are pulling a BIGGER FG trailer still invited to join up with the "back packer on wheels" and the "tiny trailer" folks????
On the door step of picking up our new Oliver, possibly next week.

Stan
In these parts anyone with any size of fiberglass trailer is welcome and even those who don't have a fiberglass trailer but who are fiberglass enthusiast.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #5

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Thanks Carol H, hoping to do some exploring in BC sometime in the future. The comment was "tongue in cheek" and we do feel part of the family. Shoot we may even hang out with the Airstream people. We considered real strong getting a Airstream and was on the forum for 2 years until someone mentioned a FG and in our search found the Oliver site and the rest is history.

Stan

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Des Nolan... I know just how you feel. I kept quiet while touring Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville PA with 50 or so Airstream owners!!! What a missed opportunity.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan and Carol View Post
Shoot we may even hang out with the Airstream people.
don't tell anyone but I often camp out with the Tin Can Tourists
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi des!!! good to read your thoughts. dennis and i feel exactly the same way. we truly feel blessed to have the friends we've made thru the forum and at rallies.
i believe that the purchase of our outback was one of the BEST decisions we've ever made.

say hello to diane from us!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
Very well stated Des, sign me up. Marje and I also feel our purchase of Eggs-Car-Go so many years ago was one of our most precious purchases. The trailer just keeps giving, sights we would otherwise never seen, people (friends) we would never have met.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We love our Scamp 16 and will probably own it until we die however for our first 7 years (2001-07) on the road we traveled in a motorhome and loved it no less than we love our Scamp. Personally I think it has nothing to do with the size of the rig or its construction that make the road life special.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote