The loss of my scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #1

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: 2008 Scamp Deluxe 16 ft
Minnesota
The loss of my scamp

I rarely post, but read often. This past week I was on my way to northern Minnesota for a few days when I was rear ended on the highway near Hinckley, MN. Traffic had come to almost a stand still and we were barely moving when we were hit from behind by someone who was traveling full speed, probably going between 60 and 80 mph and who is uninsured. The jeep's rear end and the scamp were in flames immediately. Witnesses told me they had seen this driver weaving in and out of traffic. My scamp and my jeep are both total losses. I'm afraid it will be quite a while before I'm able to get another trailer as whatever insurance pays me will have to go towards a new vehicle. My beloved Scamp gave it's life to save my friend and me, I'm sure we would not be here if it hadn't taken the brunt of the impact. I thought some of you may be interested in the photos I was able to take afterwards. There are none with the flames since I couldn't get to the camera in the jeep until the fire was extinguished.

c7clark's photosets on Flickr

Old 08-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #2

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
OMG, Cheryl! So sorry for your loss but glad to hear you and your friend walked away. Those pix are unbelievable! Maybe your insurance will cover both losses? I know we carry "replacement cost" coverage on ours not just current value as we all know what happens with vehicle depreciation.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #3

Minnesota
Thank you Melissa. Insurance will be covering both, but I'm not sure yet how much I'll be getting. The jeep was a 2000 so I don't think I will be getting much for that and the Scamp, I just don't know. It was 2004, but it was in excellent condition.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #4

Name: Phil
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500 (previously a 1978 Trillium 4500, Rpod 171 and Surveyor SV251)
Nova Scotia
Hi Cheryl,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your trailer and Jeep, thank goodness you weren't seriously injured.

Trust me when I say we can sympathise. It brings back painfull memories of our accident last year in which our trailer was destroyed when we were sideswiped by a tractor trailer.

If your experience may be of any help to you, despite the fact that our trailer was 30 years old and our adjuster knew little about rv's, we were successful in getting a reasonable settlement from our insurance company. We were able to prove the value of our trailer by providing the insurance company with 8 examples of other similar trailers for sale - many from the pages of this website. In addition, we were also able to buy the salvage back and resell what was left (in your case the parts) to put towards our new trailer.

We had contemplated not getting another trailer and not travelling the roads on our holidays, but a year later we are glad we "got back in the saddle" and are enjoying ourselves again. We may be a little more timid on the road and drive that much more defensively, but at least we are back travelling - something we enjoy very much. We hope you will be on the road again soon.

Take care,

Phil
Old 08-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #5

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Cheryl, I am so very sorry for your loss of your Jeep and Scamp. The pictures are awful. I can't imagine how devastated you must feel.

But thank God that you and your friend are safe!

The rainbow photos were such an odd contrast. I hope that happier days are ahead for you.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #6

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question Are you O.K.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl C View Post
Traffic had come to almost a stand still and we were barely moving when we were hit from behind by someone who was traveling full speed, probably going between 60 and 80 mph and who is uninsured. The jeep's rear end and the scamp were in flames immediately.

My beloved Scamp gave it's life to save my friend and me, I'm sure we would not be here if it hadn't taken the brunt of the impact.
Are you O.K.? Were you and/or your friend injured at all?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
How devastating. Sorry for the loss of your vehicles. I hope the Insurance Company treats you fairly.

There should be a blacklist uploaded to a vehicles computer for DUI drivers and Uninsured motorists that prevents them from driving a vehicle. It will never happen, but giving them a slap on the wrist isn't working.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
Whew! Glad you are safe. I know it is a loss, but trailers can be replaced.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
We are really glad you and your friend are alright! The trailer and car can be replaced - as could neither of you.

Best of luck with the insurance company.

Is the other driver in jail (hope, hope)?

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #10

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Cheryl So sorry to hear of the loss of your Jeep and Scamp but thank God you and your friend were spared serious injury. I know how attached we all become to our little trailers and what a loss that must be. I hope the insurance company treats you fairly and that you are back on the road soon.!! Lee and Norma
Old 08-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #11

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Take the guy to court .
Old 08-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #12

Minnesota
Thank you all for your kind words and shared information. We are both experiencing neck and back pain which I guess isn't surprising. As far as the driver of the vehicle that hit us I was told he was ticketed for driving without insurance. I think a prosecutor will go after him for retribution so I would guess there will be further charges. He was a young guy, 23 I think.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl C View Post
Thank you all for your kind words and shared information. We are both experiencing neck and back pain which I guess isn't surprising. As far as the driver of the vehicle that hit us I was told he was ticketed for driving without insurance. I think a prosecutor will go after him for retribution so I would guess there will be further charges. He was a young guy, 23 I think.
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Neck and back problems after a accident like that can be serious. So take care of yourself!

I'm assuming that the 23 year old doesn't have much to offer you, but take him to court anyways. You can get him to pay out of future earnings. Plus, do file charges with the police. This sort of reckless behavior shouldn't go unpunished!
Old 08-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #14

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Maybe, just maybe, we are finally getting serious about these killers:

Texas Man Gets Life Sentence for Ninth DWI - ABC News

HINT: Whenever I get in a situation like this with unexpected stops on a major artery, I pump my brakes to stop in order to flash my brake lights and then I turn on my emergency flashers just so those behind me know something unusual is going on. Not to say that this would have helped in this situation...

Glad you were only shaken up. But be careful of the back/neck thing I still have problems from when I was rear ended near 50 years ago.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp