The miracle of Vivilon? - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
Has anybody ever tried a product for restoring fiberglass called Vivilon?

http://www.vivilon.com/recrepics.html

It costs $200 a gallon and claims to restore the orginal color and shine to fiberglass.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Has anybody ever tried a product for restoring fiberglass called Vivilon?

http://www.vivilon.com/recrepics.html

It costs $200 a gallon and claims to restore the orginal color and shine to fiberglass.

Interesting...

Old 04-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Several weeks ago I mentioned having the top half of my 13' Scamp painted. Well, I bit the bullet and had an automotive painter paint down to the middle "belly band." He painted with an expensive paint that is used on boats, airplanes and autos called IMRON. I paid the bill with the safisfaction that I don't have to worry about the jel coat oxidizing more than it was. The bottom half of the trailer is still in good condition, but of course will have to be waxed. The new paint should be waxed also, but according to the internet wax with canuba should not be used on IMRON. He removed all the old putty, or whatever you call the sealant around the windows with a product that is supposed to last many years. He said that he could'nt paint that putty so in order to get a good paint job he removed the old putty. He also removed the white caps that cover the "pop rivets," painted and put on some of that new sealant and put the white cap back on. I can hardly wait for this weather to clear so that I will be able to take my very shiny trailer on the road. Marg in NW California
Old 04-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #4

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Pictures of your shiny baby would be good ! This is something that I've considered doing since I don't want to paint the trailer myself. I assume they removed the windows, prepped and painted, and then re-installed them, correct ? If you could post the name of the sealant that he used, I'd appreciate it.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #5

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I am guessing Eternabond. Altho not new, it is quickly becoming the standard for resealing. It supposedly lives up to its name. Its a tape. Tho not chemically similar to butyl, its the same concept. Its adhesive that melds into cracks etc with a backing.

I did the roof of my MH with it a week ago. Its stuck hard.

They make it in double sided, and when it comes time to do my windows, that is what I will use.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #6

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I am guessing Eternabond. Altho not new, it is quickly becoming the standard for resealing. It supposedly lives up to its name. ...

I did the roof of my MH with it a week ago. Its stuck hard.
I'm planning to use butyl tape when I re-do my windows, but, OTOH, I'm always open to new ideas. What I'd like to know is whether anyone who has used Eternabond has re-sealed their windows years down the line, and if so, how "eternally" difficult was it to get the old Eternabond off?

Despite the name, I've yet to find a caulk or sealer that actally is "eternal," so removeability/replaceability are important to me. That's why I'm wondering how it is when it does come time to re-do it (to re-seal, or, say, if you want to install a new vent or what-have-you).

I guess you can tell I have a feeling it might be too Eterna, but I am open to the idea if it works well

OTOH, I know butyl works for 20+ years and is a breeze to remove and replace.

Raya
Old 04-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Pictures of your shiny baby would be good ! This is something that I've considered doing since I don't want to paint the trailer myself. I assume they removed the windows, prepped and painted, and then re-installed them, correct ? If you could post the name of the sealant that he used, I'd appreciate it.
I talked to the painter and he told me that he used DAP silicone white for around the belly band and the vent on top and clear around the windows because he didn't want the white to cover any of the black rubber gasket around the windows. He did not remove the windows. The windows have always been fine. My only worry was the top vent leaking. So far during this recent storm there is no sign of leaking. The painter said that the DAP product is guaranteed for 50 years. Whew, if that is correct it will outlast the trailer, ha, ha. I may have said this before, and forgive me if I have, but I googled IMRON paint and it says to not use any wax with Carnuba on it; may cause blisters. That means that I will have to watch what I use when cleaning my Scamp. Marg in NW California
Old 04-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #8

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I might be a tiny bit worried about the painter's procedures, if I'm understanding them correctly. Here are my concerns:

1) Silicone is a no-no, especially around any surface you may have cause to paint ever again (and of course anything that is painted falls into that category because you have touch-ups, re-painting, etc.) I'm pretty surprised that a painter would even let silicone within a quarter mile of his shop, actually. Usually they're out with the garlic and the silver spikes.

2) Caulking "around the windows" is more of a band-aid approach (if he truly did go around the ege). The proper way is to remove the window, put the caulk/bedding *under* the flange, and then reinstall it. There is no need or desire for caulk around the outside.

Hopefully it's a misunderstanding, and he used "silicone" to generically refer to some other kind of caulk, and likewise that you don't have caulk around the outside of your windows and vents on your new paint.

Sorry to sound a bit cranky,

Raya
Old 04-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #9

Raya, you don't sound cranky at all. The painter had to remove all the old "putty" or whatever it is called from around the windows and the vent on the top of the trailer. After he painted, he was just replacing what Scamp had put around the windows and the top vent before I purchased it. Anyway, thanks for the come-back. Am patiently (not patiently really) waiting for the weather to clear to be enjoyable for traveling. Am going into SW Nevada again to chase more family "ghosts" and then will go into NE Oregon doing the same thing. Such fun. Thanks to all who make this site so enjoyable. Marg in NW California