the most dangerous out back in north america - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
I volunteer as a back roads ranger for the BLM here in Southern Utah. I'll often run across city folk who have lost their way using GPSs. Those things are dangerous in this country of unmarked or mismarked roads. It is very desolate and confusing out here.
Every year we have one or two episodes like the one reported.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3923674&autostart=y

Mostly people don't die when they get lost but sometimes they do... maybe every other year or so we find dead people. Be safe in Southern Utah. Take lots of extra water and food and blankets and bring good shoes and do not rely on any GPS for accurate road information.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
I would guess that southern Arizona is the most dangerous out back in north america... but not because you could get lost easily... primarily because of the bad people you can come across while out camping.
HustonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Unhappy

ronsmith, good advise for traveling in many if not all the of the western states. My DeLorme Street Atlas with GPS on my laptop tried to get us to go off on dirt/gravel roads in the Black Hills and again on some sandy jeep trails in New Mexico ths summer. I declined both offers.

Some of those Arizona back roads could get one into trouble quickly from what ronsmith mentioned not to mention the chance of running into Smugglers and other hombres malos which Huston may have been making reference.

As for those lost in the video clip: Does the word Naive come to mind?

DesertHawk
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
on Sunday evenings, the camp hosts/helpers and rangers get together at my concessionairs lodge and we swap horrid camper stories and events of the week.

Last week, one of the Forest Service guys told us of how he found a woman on one of the forest service roads, totally lost and angry. Her Garmin thingy told her that this dirt and gravel road was the main line into Big Bear Lake. It turned off the REAL hiway, and as the crow flies, yes, it was the shortest distance, but it didn't tell her it was the type of road it was. (Most of the roads offshooting from the hiways here are paved for at least 1/2 mile or so before they turn into dirt.

Now, Why she didn't notice something was wrong when the pavement ran out... thats anyones guess, but still "Thats what the GPS said to do".
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I would guess that southern Arizona is the most dangerous out back in north america... but not because you could get lost easily... primarily because of the bad people you can come across while out camping.
Last winter I pulled my egg over gravel and dirt roads from Douglas to Nogales and up to Sells. There are signs posted the whole way... something like, "Warning, Frequent Drug Smuggling Traffic". I must have seen 40 border patrol vehicles in that two day trip. Needless to say stayed in RV parks.

But what makes the Utah Outback more dangerous is just the opposite. There are no good guys OR bad guys out there. Complete and utter isolation.

If any eggers get out there ring my bell and I'd be happy to give you a high clearance 4x4 tour of a little corner of it.

Ron
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote