The Nest is a bargain! *Warning Not FG* - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
The Nest is a bargain! *Warning Not FG*

So are Olivers a bargain. This $148,000 conventional trailer caught my eye, before I saw the sticker. Very home-like. Not sure who makes it, Living Vehicle , I guess. 8-9,000 lbs dry weight. Built for Boondocking. Sure.

Welcome to the Dark Side.

Living Vehicle Trailers - Self-Contained Vehicles for Living
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Doesn't look like it is meant for frequent towing, more of a mini-mobile home. Kinda 'spensive though...
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
rotfl, 8000-9000 lbs is 'light weight' ?? seriously?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
When we looked at Jayco "featherlites" they were 5500...hardly a feather weight.

Depends on what you're comparing it to--if Mars, then yeah, 9,000 lbs is quite light.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
"Unlike traditional RVs, the LV sports a large 8-foot glass sliding door with two exterior deck options. It also has several oversized windows and skylights to make the space feel more open and give the interior bright natural lighting".

Opportunity for somebody here to sell rock guards for this "trailer".
Old 10-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #6

Registry
An 8' sliding door--UNLIKE TRADITIONAL RVS. Yeah, I'd say unlike ANY RVs meant for towing...I'm getting Paul started on 8' rock shields right now! They'll be on sale soon.

Kathleen
"K"
Old 10-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
well, presumably that 'porch' folds up and covers the door in travel.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Fold-down decks with sliding glass doors are the latest feature being added to large conventional RV's. The folded deck serves as the rock guard. I've seen quite a few in campgrounds.

Seems like the perfect hunting/fishing "lodge" to park in a remote spot on your private 10,000 acre Wyoming ranch.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #9

Registry
Well there you go. Technology has already advanced beyond our business plan. So much for Paul's retirement career.

Just as well. He wasn't excited about it.

Kathleen
Old 10-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I wasn't worried about rocks from the outside, more like objects thrown from the inside when the occupant couldn't open the patio door because it was all out of alignment.

I have enough problems with mine at home ( which doesn't move ).
Old 10-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #11

Registry
You can usually replace sliding glass doors with French Doors, which although they need a "swing" area, are far more elegant in appearance and generally can be opened..."grit in the track" or slight misalignments is less of a concern than with sliders.

BEST
Kathleen
"K"
Old 10-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I don't see either as practical in a travel trailer that is actually going to spend its life bouncing down the highway.

In a park model, tiny house, or snowbird RV that spends most of its life parked in one place and is moved only occasionally, it makes more sense.

This seems to fit the latter category.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I think you will find this is a one-off model and that's probably where it will end.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #14

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
I wonder how it would stand up to a 1" hail storm? From other aluminum skin trailer experience I suspect the cost of insurance on this trailer would be off the charts.
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #15

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Certainly not a conventional RV

Who in their right mind would tow this thing about on a regular basis?

Imagine getting stuck behind it on a l-o-n-g slow grade with no pull-outs or passing lanes? Or meeting up with it on a narrow gravel road? Yikes.

This would make a lovely Tiny House towed to, then permanently set up on, a scenic piece of land of your choice. But, that's just me.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: in the market
Idaho
I think we all agree that the basic "features" of this trailer are not what we would find appealing.

Looking at the pictures of the interior, I'm immediately struck by the cleaning issues. Can you imagine what a grunge pit that shower will become after a few months of use? How on earth are you supposed to keep those wooden slats clean?

My wife would be wiping out that sink bowl all of the time to keep the water spots down.

We used to have a Vanagon Westfalia with an upper bunk. I was a lot sprier back then and could climb up there pretty easily. Not any more. At least that had some head room, unlike this setup.

I've never seen a sliding glass door that I would want to keep. I've had a couple and did away with them asap. Why would someone think that was a good idea in a mobile situation? Maybe the weight is partially explained by a very stout frame?

The kitchen looks nice but we all know that real RVer don't have stemware sitting upright in the cupboards. They obviously don't understand the realities of mobility.

I like a bed. Not something that converts into a bed but a real bed that takes 3 minutes to make in the morning and 5 seconds to fold down the covers at night. I don't see a real bed in this trailer.

On the outside, I've had aluminum siding before. You don't want to stand too close to it or your breath will put a dent in it. At least if the siding is painted the dent doesn't show up so bad. Flat shiny aluminum would advertise every flaw to the world. I don't want to become like some owners and spend more time working on my RV than using it. Even brand new the siding shows uneven surfaces due to a non-flat substructure. What will it look like in 10,000 miles?

I suppose the umbrella over the porch is sturdier than most such shades but I'd take an awning any day.

Lots of solar power is a nice thing but if it won't run the a/c then it isn't enough. 600 watts peak power, more like 300 watts in typical use, will run the lights and water pump but not a fridge, stove, a/c or furnace. It still needs propane and a generator. Of course you could top things back up with the tow vehicle or an add-on generator but for $150,000 it aught to be better.

In short, not much value there in my opinion. On the other hand, if you are the sort that thinks $100,000 spent on a tiny house is a good deal then maybe it make sense to you.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote