The Noobie Learns - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
The Noobie Learns

Being brand new to RVing, there are some things I learned between my first camping trip over Christmas and my second one this weekend.

1. I am going to HAVE to screw my water filter and pressure regulator onto my garden hose and time how long it takes to fill a 1 gallon container. This multiplied x 20 would give the amount of time needed to fill the fresh water tank. (Both camping trips had us losing /using all our fresh water within a few hours of arrival. The first trip we ran the hose for 10 minutes on both the water intakes, for pressurized and unpressurized water. This time I timed it at about 10 minutes- but I also had the hot water tap wide open so as to make sure the hw tank filled. But I didn't plug it in- thank goodness! as we ran out so quickly)

2. With one cat, we produced a plastic grocery sack stuffed full of garbage every day. With 4 cats, I can see us producing 2-3 overstuffed sacks a day. Next comes the question, where to put it when the camper is in motion.

3. DH & I both need a yellow sticky on the dash saying "PUSH TOW/HAUL BUTTON. Sometimes it takes us 30-45 minutes after starting up to remember to push it. You can feel the transmission easing, just like me groaning when I start to move around.

4. I must remember to set up the cat haven AFTER we get in. We were on our way to camp at the airbase ( WELCOME TO THE FISH, WILDLIFE, AND OUTDOOR RECREATION PROGRAM - Home ) and I was afraid our Snoozy was going to bounce off the trailer hitch. It wasn't till we were almost at the camping area that I realized that we didn't have ANY weight- other than matting and padding and a litter box- on the tongue. Coming back we stuffed the haven full of two Strongback chairs, a toaster oven, a shade house, a folding table, stabilization jacks and 4 plastic grocery bags of trash.

5. Cats which are veritable Houdinis at escaping from your rig in a campground will go get in the trailer when you are loading or unloading it, looking over your shoulder and making querulous comments about your progress. They will complain when removed from said trailer so you can lock it up.

6. if you think it is going to cool down enough you might need to close up the windows and start the heater at night, before you go bed GET THE HEATER OUT OF STORAGE and have it on the floor near the plug, ready to go as soon as you wake up chilled and close all the windows. If you are cold and half asleep, anything extra beyond shutting 4 windows and plugging in the heater makes the project too big to deal with and you just crawl back into bed (and make your partner crabby when you stick your cold feet and hands on them.)

7. 2 warm fuzzy fleecy throws do NOT equal a full/queen blanket. If you both go to bed with a throw, they will tangle up with each other and when you wake up cold and try to straighten out the throw that is partially on you, you'll discover it's your partner's throw and they get mad at you pulling it off them. If only one of you goes to bed with a throw, it will either crawl up beyond your pillow or down beyond your feet, for good measure they will slide out from their proper level in the bedding, which is OVER the topsheet but UNDER the quilt. I'm not giving up my gorgeous bear themed throws. But either I have to find someone with a sewing machine to sew their edges together, or I have to spread a queen sized blanket on that bed.

8. A truckfridge must be towel dried inside after turning it off, or it grows Science Projects on the shelves/wall and the underside of the freezer.

9. A sink must be towel dried after the last use, or a week later you find it full of brownish spots= sort of like a liver spotted Dalmation.

10. Use a checklist for the rations, or you will find yourself minus the long shelf life milk that figured in your planning for coffee and hot cereal. (Fortunately we had LaLechera, a bottle of sweetened condensed milk - for the breakfast coffee, and DH asked about diluting it for the cereal...unfortunately, we wound up short of water)

11. You need more than 1 gallon of water daily for 2 people and 1 cat, especially when you're a heavy drinker like myself. (I'm too old to try purifying that agricultural swill that passes as the Kissimmee River anymore. I did it in my 30s and my 40s, and I'm now waiting to see what the long term consequences of ingesting it will be)

12. If you are fixing two tomato based meals from 1 container, bring along a 6 oz can of tomato or V8 juice. Otherwise, one meal, usually the second, winds up a little scant on the sauce, and adding water dilutes the flavor as well as the texture.

13. Florida is mainly sand...or duff, or sometimes muck. Regardless, all of it wants to get INTO your camper, and entertain you by getting on the floor, in the bed, in your clean cups, et al. I thought we'd be cool by pretending to be Japanese, and I bought a little mat to leave our shoes on, just inside the door. But it was a royal pain and the mat was too small. I'm intending to get a runner carpet for the central aisle and a BIGGER mat, to be at the doorway, and a mat to be right next to the stepstool I use to go in and out, for our "outside" shoes, and a couple pair of scuffs to use in the snoozy. and maybe a small box to store the scuffs in next to the door.

14. When your generator is running and neither plugged-in cell phone shows that it is charging, go check the electrical connection from the generator to the camper. yes, sometimes the connection was not made...

15. Pack most everything the night before! I swear this is the only way to do it, and DH appears allergic to prepacking. What should have been packed in less than an hour Friday night wound up taking 3 1/2 hours on Saturday morning, and we were both anxious about it(with good reason, as it turned out). Same thing happened the day we left on our Christmas trip. I am about to get us another pair of battery toothbrushes and inform DH these are ONLY for camping and he will then have no excuse for delaying on packing at least our suitcase.

Those who have been camping in RVs for awhile will doubtless be amused, Glad to have spread a little cheer about, maybe some others, as new to RVing as we are, can benefit from our experience.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Your post made me laugh Mitzi! Not because I've ever experienced some of your issues, but it appeared you still had a good time!

My first time out camping in my Scamp (a three night trip) I had forgotten to pack my TOOTHBRUSH. You know what? I survived (ear swaps work) and I made a memory!

I wish you well!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #3

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
If your Snoozy is stock, you can open the cabinet door under the couch and see how much water is in the tank. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:43 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Funny but so true.
Your Snoozy should have a 35 gallon fresh water + 6 gallons in the water heater tank (41 gallons total). If you leave the hose on the tank filler connection, it takes quite a while to completely fill the tank, and you will note it is full when water starts coming out of the air release tube right next to your water connection. The "city water" connection does not fill your water tank at all, and is used when connected so as not to have to use your water pump nor add any water to your fresh water tank so you'll tow with less weight.
Your electric heater should have a thermostat to come on automatically when it gets to your comfort set point, but you may or may not want to shut the windows first, or just leave them open.
We use a very nice double mummy sleeping bag by Big Agnes of Colorado, and have kept the queen bedspread for glamping purposes.
We usually put out a large 9x12 outdoor rug outside the entrance, plus a welcome mat inside the Snoozy to help keep the dirt out.
I like to pack the trailer with most everything we may use and leave it in the trailer (designated as trailer stuff), so we are almost always ready to go, but it turns out to be a portable pantry that gets robbed and not replenished as it should.
A checklist is really a handy thing to have..... now if I could only remember where I or Paula put it last
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #5

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Notes to self

I so enjoyed reading your posts! I don't have a tt yet - but I am taking notes, for sure! Nothing teaches as well as real experience and I thank you for sharing yours! I think Donna nailed it when she mentioned a sense of humor . . If it's not fun. . . . then, it's not fun! A good sense of humor covers a lot! And I love hearing about the trips with a Lil Snoozy!

Thanks,
Tonie and Abel
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Your post made me laugh Mitzi! Not because I've ever experienced some of your issues, but it appeared you still had a good time!

My first time out camping in my Scamp (a three night trip) I had forgotten to pack my TOOTHBRUSH. You know what? I survived (ear swaps work) and I made a memory!

I wish you well!
A bad day camping is better than the best day not-camping!!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We can relate to #3 , except it takes me a little longer to come to the realization " I forgot to turn on tow /haul AGAIN"
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #8

Florida
David B- I don't have an intake labelled "city water". I have one tha t accepts a garden hose, with a mesh filter over it, and one that is much larger, with no spirals. I had bought a garden hose for using to fill, as that is what the Snoozy Factory replied to my emails what to bring. Therefore, I suppose the large intake is the one to the tank? I don't intend to travel with a full tank except when heading to a boondock. Charlsara- I will look under the couch. Truth be told I had forgotten that cabinet was there!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #9

Florida
as a car camper, canoe camper and backpacker, I have forgotten the ridge pole of my tent (lashed a fairly straight stick to the tentpoles) , eating utensils (carved the jagged edge off palmetto fronds to serve as eating- paddles) matches (discovered
my glasses lenses DON"T make a good magnifying glass for starting fires) and "backpacking showers" (large wipes moistened with half no rinse body wash and half baby oil. That was on a Manitoba backwoods canoe camping trip and the mom I was partnered with refused to share hers with me- after I had absorbed some of her excess camping crap into one of my dry bags-always an ultra lighter- always had extra space - and she knew this and planned to take advantage of it. I had to use tiny bits of Dr Bronner's soap on a dampened sock and withdraw downstream for 3 point baths every couple days. Never again did that particular lady any favors) As I had said before, the worst day camping is better than the best day non camping!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
It's all about attitude and you and your DH have the right one. Make the best of it. Start with more checklists than you think you need and with time you will have the routine down and they end up tucked away.

Note: those six gallons in the water heater are only accessible by draining it and catching the spilled water in a bucket. (Unless you rig up something better.) And, the water heater never gets empty by leaving the water running in the sink.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #11

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Thanks for posting - brought back many old memories and proof that things don't have to be perfect to have an exceptional time when camping.

If you or any others here should find themselves around Juniper Springs in Ocala NF next week (2/25-30), stop by and say 'howdy'.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Mitzi, this may help with filling the tanks: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these mats fit nice and are non-slip and work well: Waterhog Mat, Everyspace Boot | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #13

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
yes, yes, YES! lol! I'm not laughing AT you, laughing WITH you. so many good points! I have 2 sleeping bags that will zipper together to make 1 giant bag, & a throw is set by our feet at night. whoever gets cold can pull it up, because as you said if you're counting on a throw for warmth it won't be where it needs to be. loved your post & looking forward to reading about your future adventures!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

I wish you well!
Donna, Ear swabs may work in place of a toothbrush. But I know from experience that a tooth brush does not take the place of an ear swab ! (LOL) DavidG
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Hi Mitzi,
We bought a cheapo stick vacuum for our trailer, it's small and works great. I also created a step out of a 2'x3' plastic tray (liberated from behind a grocery store, I confess) reinforced underneath with some wood to handle our weight. You can scrape your shoes on it and the FL sand/muck/crud drops right through.

The more trips you do, you'll find what works and what doesn't. We've gotten pretty efficient at packing. We haven't boondocked yet, though, so that requires some new moves on our part.

I love my cat, but not enough (or too much?) to take him camping. My parents used to take their cats with them in their 32' Pace Arrow, between my dad trashing the kitchen with his obsessive cat feeding rituals (wet, dry and moist food in separate dishes?) and one of them usually managing to escape at bedtime, or when they were getting ready to check out, it was not a recipe for a happy camping experience... or marriage.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Glad you had a ball... Packing ahead of time does not work for me. My dear wife uses it as a store all winter. Come spring I have to stock it again. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #17

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: In the market
Arizona
Cool Camping with cats

Your post was so delightful I sent it to my sister in Cocoa, Florida, who camps with cats in her (non-fiberglass) toy hauler.

I am newly registered to the forum but have been lurking for some time. I really want a 16' Scamp layout 6, and keep seeing them get away from me. We have finally gotten a capable towing vehicle (2012 Nisson Frontier crew cab with a towing package) and my husband says it is not time yet for the next step. I'm working on him.

Jeanne Jacques
Jacques in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:35 AM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Nissan Frontier? Check out the Scamp 19. Plenty of room for (many) cats....
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote