The quest continues..... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #15
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
This sounds like it's going to be a sweat equity trailer and most of that is going to involve cleaning. Other than the floor, there's very little wood in a Burro. Replacing the cupboard doors is an opportunity to create something uniquely your own.. you don't have to replace wood with wood, for instance.

If mice got in, you can keep them out, just don't bring them home!

We've seen some really dirty trailers and after a couple of hours of scrubbing turn to pearls. If the gelcoat is chaulky, we can point you to Red Max Pro... cheap good stuff!

We've got your back Cricket, if you make the decision to purchase

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #16
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1981 13' Burro project/ 2008 Chevy Colorado extended cab
Sounds even better that the Burro We started with years ago. The inside was so dirty I went in with a chemical mask and Acetone.

Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #17
Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
I paid $1500 for an empty shell with good floors and am doing a custom rebuild so with enough cash and know how anything is possible. As far as the mice go, as long as you get them out and seal any hole for them to get back in you should be good to go. Make sure you wear a resporator when cleaning it out if you do buy it as mouse dropings are toxic.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #18
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
I am still interested in seeing whatever fotos you took. Moss and verdigris on the outside are not the end of the world. Mice, if you avoid contacting the hantavirus, aren't the end of the world. Wasps and other infestations aren't the end of the world. Water entry over time thru a broken overhead vent cover might be the end of the floor and also where you place either all your personal time or a good deal of money or both for the forseeable (camping) future.

I don't automatically assume that everyone will or should find it necessary to "enjoy" the sweat equity road to personal fulfillment. I spent nearly 2 yrs. correcting the problems of a 12 yr. old trailer and can say from experience that correction a la carte adds up to a piece of change you could put toward the upfront price for a better rig. If I were you, I'd let this one sleep for a while longer and look at comparable size trailers (16-17') of several different ages at several different price levels, say 2-4K$, 4-6K, 7-10K. Learn what's available and the probability of satisfaction for a given price before you buy a pile of dirt around which to build a trailer.

We can assume that you were interested in a bargain or you wouldn't have looked. Not everyone who wants a bargain can live with one. Here's my wife's take: If you want a project, buy this for cheap and have "fun"; if you want to go camping, buy one that's 90% ready to go and have fun.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
I didn't get any pics as it was getting dark and i wanted to look at as much if it as i could. He doesn't really have it for sale at all...he wanted to trade for my motorcycle with and approx value of $4500...i certainly expected something better than that!?? Part of the reason we started looking at the scamp types was to keep the weight down....i am fairly certain the weight of this one would have met or surpassed the huge popup we had at 2700 pounds....hubby had to remind me of the whole purpose as i tend to get excited and just look for a good deal. I think we will just look for something newer and out the money on the front end where we might have some more control over the cost.....hopefully....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Don't get me wrong; I love me donkey BUT: the inner shell of Burros (and other marques) does assuredly add weight over a single hull with Ensolite/rat fur/carpet. You can check the "Trailer Weight In The Real World" thread to get some ideas about that. Casitas, although single hull are surprisingly heavy but that may be a good thing. I assume you did not look at the Scamp. Something to be said for Scamp. They are in business and there is some support for owners in information and replacement parts. And you are located only a state away.

I paid 5K$ for our 98 Burro. I got an excellent A/C, furnace, water pump, water heater, tanks and plumbing, cushions. I got a freeze-cracked valve in a toilet, a dead 3-way fridge, dead tires, window leak, thru-hull fittings and vents that needed resealing or replacement, and the long list of bits and pieces that puts wings on 10$ bills. Please do not put the value of your bike in this trailer! If you can realize that for the cycle, add another 2500 to it and give yourself the satisfaction of a "real world" bottom line for a trailer that in all probability won't have to be put on life support.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote