The Saabo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2006, 07:05 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
I just came across this via another site that I frequent so I thought I would post it for general interest. Enjoy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAABO

And check out the link to 'Toppola'. !
Attached Images

CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:36 AM   #2

Registry
And more Saabo pics here:

http://www.saabo.com/pictures/showgallery.php/cat/516
Old 10-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Oh I like!

I wish there were more interior photos.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Interesting!

Unlike some of the European "fiberglass" trailers, this appears to have the construction which we think of in this forum as "moulded fiberglass": the shell is the structure, without internal framing.

The weight is exceptionally low, for something about the size of a typical 13' North American egg; it would be interesting to see some more detail, such as the frame configuration and axle design.

One notable feature (other than the cardboard insulation!) stood out for me: the "dutch door", with separate top and bottom sections - that's a novel solution to handling the non-flat side! Now, why is the door on the "wrong" side in all of the photos? Were they all taken of British-market models? I assume that the Swedes drive on the right-hand side of the road, so the caravan door should be on the right side, to put it at the curb...

As for the Toppola... I don't know which is stranger: this novel camper configuration, or the back half of a Saab 900 made into a trailer in Image:Toppola900.jpg! Why didn't they just tow a caravan?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #5

Trailer: BIOD (1979 and 1990)
Registry
Quote:
Now, why is the door on the "wrong" side in all of the photos? Were they all taken of British-market models? I assume that the Swedes drive on the right-hand side of the road, so the caravan door should be on the right side, to put it at the curb...
In 1967 Sweden switched from left to right.
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Hey Lex. It's great to hear from you. I've just enjoyed your photos from the 2006 Biod Weekend and your England pics. They quench the desire to go back for a while: looking at them was a real pleasure. Thanks for the website.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks, Lex! Now it makes sense.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Thanks, Lex! Now it makes sense.
Hi: What I would like to know is if the Saabo's were built between '64 and '68...What part if any did they play in the Boler story??? Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:33 AM   #9

Trailer: BIOD (1979 and 1990)
Registry
Quote:
Hey Lex. It's great to hear from you. I've just enjoyed your photos from the 2006 Biod Weekend and your England pics. They quench the desire to go back for a while: looking at them was a real pleasure. Thanks for the website.
You're welcome, Clive
I am glad you enjoyed them.
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:22 AM   #10

Trailer:
Quote:
And in today's "you didn't know this, did you?" spot is that this event was the starting point for daytime running lights.

When the Swedes allowed vehicles back on the road after the changeover took place (yes, all the road signs in the country were changed in one weekend!), there was a very low blanket speed limit and all vehicles had to keep their headlights on at all times, as a reminder to other drivers to keep right.

Andrew
(a font of useless knowledge)
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #11

The Swedes certainly seem to have a lot of ideas for such a small country - it makes me wonder what it is about their culture which fosters creativity. Anyone familar with older Saab cars probably knows what I mean. If they were the inspiration for our trailers, then thanks to Sweden!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
And in today's "you didn't know this, did you?" spot is that this event was the starting point for daytime running lights.

When the Swedes allowed vehicles back on the road after the changeover took place (yes, all the road signs in the country were changed in one weekend!), there was a very low blanket speed limit and all vehicles had to keep their headlights on at all times, as a reminder to other drivers to keep right.

Andrew
(a font of useless knowledge)
That is very interesting! I just read up a bit more on this. The reason for the changeover was to lessen the accident rate and it worked for a couple of years. Everyone drove much slower for a time. Well ... you'd have to wouldn't you? After all, you'd be blinded by all those headlights pointing the wrong way.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:00 AM   #13

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
The Swedes certainly seem to have a lot of ideas for such a small country - it makes me wonder what it is about their culture which fosters creativity. Anyone familar with older Saab cars probably knows what I mean...
As it was expressed to me by a freind of my dad who owned about a half-dozen of the old 2-stroke wagons, it's known as "Praying at the temple of SAAB".
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
one of the best imports that i ever owned it is a great car
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote