The saddest UHaul this side of the Mississippi - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #1

Name: Cat
Trailer: Uhaul CT
Maryland
The saddest UHaul this side of the Mississippi

Hello! Not sure if I'm posting this is the right place, the Show Us Your Rig sticky seemed to be site shots.. but I thought I would give a photo tour of "The Sub".
Commiserate on the long road of fixing ahead, get some professional opinions, complain. You know, the works.
The previous owner used it for boon docking, and while he was some sort of doctor he was not a handy man..

So here she is! The outside is my favorite. With all the rehab I think I'm still going to keep it like a hermit shack.

Now let's take a look inside.. All the cabinet doors and fixtures are original, that's nice. The bunk has been replaced by some sort of.. rope shelf.. and there's a nice storage loft above the bed. That's alright too. Also more rope.

Here's my plug

Let's see what's behind it..

oh my.. Here's what powers one of the lights and fan, holding charge from the solar panel.

Ouch.
Also, the vent fan is in backwards. But that's neither here nor there

So there she is! My pride and joy!
SnappleofDiscord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #2

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
It takes my breath away! Good luck with your rehabbing. I like your positive attitude. )
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #3

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Great Potential!

Flooring, taking those storage shelves down and a front dinette
conversion will transform it!

Folks with even severely hacked up ones are bringing em back to life!
All the best with your remake!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, we've certainly seen worse brought back to life. Remember, in the end your trailer doesn't need to be perfect... only perfect for you!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
WOW! Ours wasn't butchered up nowhere near that bad. I am finding that I'm spending more time on repairs and modifications than I expected, but I work slow, get a little fussy with what I'm doing, and take my time. But I'm retired so I can do that. My biggest expenses have been new tires, windows, Fantastic Fan, and a power converter. Rewiring was a little time consuming, I eliminated that little breaker on the original outlet, added a couple more outlets, and more lights, both 12 volt and 110. I'm afraid to ask how those ropes are held to the ceiling. Take your time, think things over, you'll get it done.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The good news is that it is mostly intact. Once you clean out the junk, I think that you will find that it can be restored into a great camper.

I don't understand why people mistreat these eggs so badly.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We have seen worse brought back to life. A little elbow grease, and it won't look the same.

What did they do to the ceiling? Paint it? When I fixed the fan, I would pull that center piece down and replace it. In fact, I think we ought to do that on our Uhaul. Ours is kinda dirty-looking. Hmm, I just saw some slat-style table covers at KMart. Wonder if they might work....

House kitchen first though!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #8

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Poor baby U-haul. I am so happy it was adopted to a good home. I'd love to see pictures as you progress!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I like it. The U-haul is a quality trailer. The fibreglass seems intact. The door needs work, but that could be said for all old eggs. It's a fixer upper, but of all fibreglass trailers I have seen, I can only think of three that seemed beyond repair. One example:
trillium 1300 - Oakville / Halton Region Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Oakville / Halton Region Canada.
The roof is just too damaged. Looks like that tree fell on it and stayed there. Perhaps some one better then me could bring it back.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The last owner made it his , now you can make it yours. Looks like a worthy project. And when we say we have seen worse......
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #11

Name: Cat
Trailer: Uhaul CT
Maryland
Thanks for the positive outlooks! Just being in there can get a little overwhelming. All the fantastic fixes I've seen on here is pretty inspiring. As is seeing eggs crushed by trees! HA! at least it's not like that.
I think the front is going to be shelving and a desk rather than a dinette. I've got my full timing schedule down to where my winters are either parked by a house or somewhere warm, so Dinners on the veranda!

Mary and Bob- Hehe, Perfection is the most time consuming aspect of anything. The ropes are also held to the ceiling by heavy gauge I bolts drilled through the roof <_<
CindyL- Oh Definitely fixin it! It's a big problem. It's a brand new fan, but the inside collar is missing. The wind has been pulling it loose from the roof as I drive. Also, evidence points to a once carpeted ceiling strip that was applied over a coat of house paint.
David- Woof. that is a project. You're wise to avoid. Go for a more relaxing camper. The door's actually pretty solid on this one too, just ajar in the photo and.. ya know.. covered in years of layered weather stripping.
SnappleofDiscord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Cat, a lot of that is just cleanup. Your little uhaul will look great when you're done. And it will be all yours! I wound up replacing that little duplex circuit breaker with a larger electrical service, because I couln't even run a heater without popping it. You may be able to just replace that with a new 15 amp and fix things that way. I figured that electrical was the most important thing to let the pro's do, so I paid my camper place to do that work. The rest of it (clean up and vent replacement, etc) I've done myself. Keep us posted as you rehab her!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Cat, that strip was originally carpet. Ours is the original. It just looks like thy painted that carpet.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Dig in! Have fun! Take lots of pictures and post them!

I feel your pain and your joy!

Welcome & keep us posted.

Spanke
Old 09-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleofDiscord View Post
David- Woof. that is a project. You're wise to avoid. Go for a more relaxing camper. The door's actually pretty solid on this one too, just ajar in the photo and.. ya know.. covered in years of layered weather stripping.
Actually, I offered him $500 for that trailer. No response. I might have gone higher. I need a frame. My problem is, I need a trailer that can't be saved. If it can, (and many would give up on the Cantaloupe) I will want to save it.

Last year, I found one of the three that I consider un-saveable. On kijiji, there was a Trillium 1300 that had the dinette, gaucho, (couch/bunk bed) and kitchen, cut out of it. I couldn't tell, from the pictures, if it had a closet. The elephant skin had been ripped out. The guy said he did this to use it as a fishing shack, but found a better one. I seriously considered buying it. I offered him $500 as well. No response either.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-me-49387.html
Now I wish I had paid the $950. I would have used the frame, (main reason) windows, door, (especially the latch) the rock shield on the window, (great on the back of a Trillium) it never had a fridge, so I would cut out a 4' wide piece from the belly band down to the frame to get the logo on the road side. Then big chunks for patches. Heck, the roof could have been transplanted to fix the first trailer.

As it is I am probably going to buy the frame from Joe Thoen at Outback/Trillium. He has the third trailer that I consider un-saveable. It is a Surfside TM-14 that is completely gutted. No windows or door even. The frame seems similar, but some mods will be necessary. It is longer then a 1300. Since, I don't weld, I am probably going to pay Joe more then $950 for it in the end.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #16

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Question

cool part is you have all winter to redo her. come spring your gonna be a campin fool.

Tags
uhaul