the scamp 5th wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2017, 05:49 AM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
the scamp 5th wheel

well 5 days to go and the scamp 5th wheel is up to 3k I am so temped I can be a 2 trailer family I have the truck.

anyone see how far back that hitch is on the back of the truck? I don't quite understand that must be very light on the front end?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
I had a 19 Deluxe. The tongue weight isn't as much as you might think. The question should be how far forward does the hitch mount in the truck. The important number is the distance from the center of the ball to the the corner of the rear bumper. The camper has to clear the bumper in a tight turn.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
No more than 60" from ball to end of your bumper.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
My instructions said the ball should to be a 60 inches from the corner of the bumper. More than that and you will hit when turning, less and you are transferring more weight to the rear axle.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Love the description, "never smoked in". OK, sure. But it was stolen and recovered by the Insurance Co. I guess the thieves verified they never smoked in it.

Looks like two swamp coolers on the roof. Strange.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Where were you guys several years ago when I was trying to figure this out? I've never heard the 60" number before - good to know I can still learn things

Back then, I cobbled together a mock up out of wood and moved the cross bar back and forth until I determned the forwardmost position that would allow me to turn ninety degrees and still have clearance between the camper and bumper. On a Tacoma short bed (60") crew cab, that worked out to be roughly two inches behind the rear axle. I would have preferred it to be directly over the axle but it tows great.

Another plus for this setup is, with my genset (Honda EU3000) and cooler (45 qt Pelican) in the front of the bed, I still have sufficient clearance to make the ninety degree turns. That would not be possible with the crossbar any further forward.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:04 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
the 19f

well I think the insurance co. just gave up on it after it was stolen who knows. I didn't see the swamp coolers if someone was going to be in the dry southwest this would be ok.

I was interested in how some of you determined placing the 5th wheel you must have done it yourself somehow or the factory did it for you.

If it goes for the right price it will be a good deal for someone!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp