Old 05-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonE View Post
What's the value of those molds?
Pretty much what someone is willing to pay. It would also depend on the shape they are in too.

They have the two sizes up for auction. Not only is there the cost of the moulds, but shipping can be pricey too, depending on how far you need to take them.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Maybe Joe Thoen from Trillium Outback can buy them back.

Wouldn't that would be a great ending to what has been a real bad partnership in biz experience for him!

But I suspect he doesnt really want or need the molds as he already has them... just wants the rights to the use of the use of Trillium name (in the US) back.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:11 AM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Wouldn't that would be a great ending to what has been a real bad partnership in biz experience for him!

But I suspect he doesnt really want or need the molds as he already has them... just wants the rights to the use of the use of Trillium name (in the US) back.
I bet he would like the 4500 moulds. I would bet the right to the name does not go with the moulds though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I bet he would like the 4500 moulds. I would bet the right to the name does not go with the moulds though.
True, but I wonder if he does not already have one hidden away in the back 40 ... but then again Sterling did reintroduce the larger trailer so it may be a whole new mould (note none US spelling :-)).

As Sterling at this point owns the right to the name, it will most likely go with the company BUT Sterlings main focus was van conversations not small trailers so who ever buys the remnants of Sterling may have little or no interesting in retaining the rights to the Trillium name or moulds and be willing to sell separately.

Clearly the decision to split Trillium up between Canada and the US did not work well for either party.... more poorly for the US side of the operation for sure - pretty well from day one.

Suspect we will just have to wait and see how this plays out.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
Somebody, tell me that the fine white dust covering half that shop, tools and inventory is not fiberglass dust! If it is, it doesn’t take much to imagine that OSHA paid them a visit very recently and the report was shall we say, not good. Even if some of that is sawdust, still not good. I wouldn’t attend that auction without a respirator and body suit.
Was not the case at all. Sterling moved the operations from Canada to avoid high labour & operating costs.... they opened the operation in the south with great fan far! BUT they then got into some labour/personal issues that got a lot of bad press......... owners claimed on the companies FB page that they feared for their lives and ran back to Canada leaving the doors to the plant closed......

There is a thread here somewhere from a year or more ago that details the whole Sterling mess and their public statements on it. Sterling BTW also went by the name Great West Vans.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #20

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
True, but I wonder if he does not already have one hidden away in the back 40 ...
<text deleted>
Suspect we will just have to wait and see how this plays out.
Tom sent me an email today updating me on the situation. I won't post all of it, but will post select segments. Tom's words are in blue.
Quote:
Great West Vans: All their inventory and tools in Alabama was auctioned off, including Trillium molds.
The auctioneer can't tell me who the successful bidder was. (Confidentiality)
So, sometime someone may surface if they decide to build 13' & 15' trailers.
They will NOT be able use Trillium, as GWV did not get the brand name.
I will continue to sell the small Trillium parts as noted on the website.
I had hoped to get the T-Molding back to ship to vintage owners, but that inventory has "disappeared".

He did mention he personally kept the last 4500 he built in Arizona
under the Trillium name. His family will debate selling it towards the end of summer.

Hopefully this will clear up some of the mystery and postulation.

Tags
trillium