The Upside of Trailer Travel and Camping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #15
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
A couple just purchased an Escape 5.0TA and a brand new F150 with the little Ecoboost engine. Didn't see final numbers but he was up in 25 mpg range towing.
We have the new F150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost, but we have an Escape 19, not the 5er. 25 mpg towing the 5er with this truck is not going to happen. More like 17 or 18. Still not bad.

We love to camp because of the freedom to explore new places, and stay wherever we like. We've also found that campers are generally good people. Its just FUN.

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #16
Name: Mark
Trailer: Egg Camper 2012
Western Massachusetts
More Upsides -- FGRV

Not being bored with the everyday routine. We usually are doing something new when we are trailer camping.

Being able to go nearly anywhere. Almost all of these FGRV rigs are easy to handle, pull in and pull out. Most can go on small roads easily. Many fit into a single pull-thru parking spot in the restaurant or supermarket or flea market parking lot. Even getting in and out of gas stations is so much easier than with the bigger RV's. You really can get to many places that would be hard to with a large rig, and of course in to many places that are not available unless you are camping.

Camping near the beach without spending lots of $$ on an expensive hotel.

Just getting outside in general.

Meeting all sorts of folks while camping. It's really nice.

coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:38 PM   #17
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Capital Cost

It can be a low cost adventure. We bought a 20 year old Scamp 16, in adequate condition to camp on day 1, for $5,000. We used our every day vehicle as a tow vehicle, actually using it for 7 years.

If the Scamp is worth $0 today, the cost for our 4 years of ownership is $100 a month, less than one night at a motel. Personally I believe it's worth more than we paid.

The most fun for the least bucks.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #18
Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Jill and I feel much closer while Scamping without the daily distractions and stresses of home/work life. This is the best part, but we agree with all of the above.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #19
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
You'll enjoy it more than

true story
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #20
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
My husband retired 10 years before me. It was so heartwarming to know he waited for us to spend more time together! In our younger years, prior to children, we loved to backpack in the Sierras. Later we loved tent camping. Our work and school schedules (our son was in school and I worked in a school) limited our ability to do much camping at all. I have to admit that we got very tired of the effort it took to set up and take down tent camping and carrying a heavy pack does not add to my camping enjoyment (especially in the rain).

Upon my retirement (I dislike that word and use "renewal" instead) we purchased our 13' Scamp. As you can see in my signature, our byline is "Here We Go Again on Another Amazing Adventure".

By far the most enjoyable part of trailer camping is the hiking in beautiful spots. While we've travelled abroad extensively our camper allows us great flexibility in touring this beautiful country of ours! Amazingly, we meet people from around the world right here in the USA! We typically will be hiking all day carrying only a daypack, seeing great sights taking photographs and sketching and enjoy returning to our comfy "home away from home". A simple meal, a pause at our campfire and an hour reading in our bed before turning out the lights makes for a perfect day.

I've had a great time "glamping", that is choosing and making decorating themes for our trailer. Now I have several themes to choose from including The Desert, The Tropics/Beach, Fall Foliage and The Southwest. Themes in progress, or just in the dream stage, are The 1950's (complete with Elvis pillow), The Sound of Music/Austrian Alps, and Black Bear Diner (my favorite for on the road meals) Good Ol' Fashioned Family Food, Black Bear Diner. Glamping details may include curtain panels, pillows, stuffed animals, wall art, door decor, rugs, dishware, tablecloth, spare tire cover, etc. Usually the effect is total fun and not too "over the top". If my husband can live with it, then I have succeeded!
See a FGRV thread I started on the topic here Hey Glampers, Time to Decorate! If you search my name, Gilda, you will find many other postings on my glamping efforts.

I also enjoy figuring ways to make the camping experience simple and enjoyable. Living in a small space has its challenges and we've put our heads together to make it work. For instance, we dress one at a time. One cooks and the other sits down. Storing things has taken some trial and error. I sewed pockets in the curtains and made hanging pockets for the walls. What works best is to "have a place for everything and everything in its place".
The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:59 AM   #21
Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
We have the new F150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost, but we have an Escape 19, not the 5er. 25 mpg towing the 5er with this truck is not going to happen. More like 17 or 18. Still not bad.

We love to camp because of the freedom to explore new places, and stay wherever we like. We've also found that campers are generally good people. Its just FUN.
My mistake, wrong trailer. Agree the 5th wheel is a good deal heavier and would not see the good mileage you get with the 19.
Bob & Deb
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #22
Name: Anita & Ken
Trailer: 1979 Boler, tow vehicle is 2007 Silverado
Awesome thread. Can't wait to be 'living tiny in retirement'
A Storgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #23
Name: George
Trailer: In the market
New Mexico
Smile Great thread!

Thanks for starting this thread. It's really encouraging to a newbie who hasn't bought a trailer yet, but is looking forward to retirement travel. I read about hassles with hitches, black tanks, etc, but all of them are nullified by these posts!
George in New Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #24
Trailer: Scamp

Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
I didn't want to spend the money for both a new truck and a new trailer. The Scamp would have to be lifted at least 6" to pull it with a new Ford. The Nissan and Toyota Mid sized trucks are both 10 year old technology, so fuel economy is not up to the levels of the newer full sized trucks. I just didn't want to raise the Center of Gravity of the Scamp!
I opted to lower Z71 4x4 to tow our fifth wheel scamp.
Darrin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #25
Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita
My partner has some medical problems that make it hard for her to walk very far. Having a bathroom just a few steps away and also a bed and a kitchen makes it where she can still travel.
My own bed, not lugging suit cases, all the reason above.
Ron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #26
Name: Carol
Trailer: Scamp / 1949 Hudson
If you like to camp then a travel trailer is good...You spend most of your time outdoors and stop whenever you want...our 13' scamp has a stove top so we can cook and a microwave to reheat if need be. Don't have a grill yet so we can cook outside.

Neither of us like motels, fancy campgrounds, or theme our Scamp is perfect.
CandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #27
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16

The cost of travel can be low. Certainly low cost is not a reason to travel but a potential enabler of travel. As in most travel, cost is a choice, the primary operational choices are type of campground, restaurants versus cooking,

For example we rarely stay at expensive campgrounds like KOAs, always seeking lower cost alternatives like federal parks ($5-10) passport parks ($15-20), NL Provincial Parks ($9-14) and Escapee Parks ($15-20). Over a year saving $10-20 a night can be dramatic.

We always eat breakfast at home, We like to start our day with a good breakfast but find restaurant breakfasts NOW to be too large. We usually eat either lunch or dinner at home. If we eat out we usually seek a unique kind of place, like roadside fish and chips. We’re more likely to have a $20 meal than a $100 meal. We’re 'snackers'..while driving we always have a bag of pecans or walnuts or Twizzlers in the car and bring a piece of fruit to share.

Of course if you drive extensively fuel can be a significant cost. We’re not destination travelers, not rushing to a location. We only drive 18-25,000 miles a year, averaging 60-80 miles a day over a year. On travel days our target is 150 miles, about 8 gallons a day when towing.

We choose our tow vehicle for fuel economy and reliability. In this era of improving technology the best tow vehicle changes faster than we buy cars. Our overall goal is to average 24 mpg over all driving. This means we buy 1000 gallons of gas a year.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #28
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream owner
A good topic Norm. Getting off the beaten path and meeting folks in that place is priceless. The plus with a travel trailer is having most of the comforts of home after coming back from a days adventure.
Attached Thumbnails

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote