The Weather or the Cost of Fuel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2008, 04:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
This past week has been slow again at the Covered Bridge Campground in NH and with the weather bringing in thunder storms every afternoon and night we didn't even start painting our 49 tables but our manager said if it gets done, before the 4th of July rush, great, but if not "oh Well".
Last weekend we had maybe 25 campers in and one was my nephew.
It was a nice crowd so I got to spend some time sitting around the campfire, playing guitar and watching his 4 year old son impatintly asking if he can turn the camp light on, even though it was only 6:00 and the sun was just behind the trees.
Sunday, my wife came rolling in around 4:00 Am after getting off shift at the Conway PD, and slept until 10:00 when I started the tracter to start my cleaning chores.
We cleaned sites till noon and then I took an hour off to spend with my wife and nephew before they took off then I went back at it till around 3:30.
During the week other then a couple of gals who got into the "Sauce" a bit and makeing poor imatations of weird aminal noises, all was quiet.
I got my solar panel this week but with no sun to speak of I have yet to try it out to prove anything to me. I still do not have a battery level meter to see if the thing is even working but for sure I will locate one on my two days off this time.
the rest of the week we didn't have more then a hand-full of campers so I busied myself with reading.
I did manage to go fishing for an hour when the "Demise of the Zebco 202" put an end to that.
Now for you non fishing people, a Zebco 202, is a fishing reel of just simple, closed face design, that just never breaks down.
In fact I think this is the same reel I have used since the early 60's when I was a kid. (although re-built a few times with other Zebco parts I have found at yard sales) it was always the best one I had.
Well, after the line got fouled inside as they are prone to do if you have too much slack while reeling in, I first lost my hook, sinker and bobber, when the line snapped.
After taking the face of the reel off and fixing the line, I put new hook, sinker and bobber on and
UGGGG, first cast and SNAPPPP, the line again breaks but in my haste to get the hook back in the water I failed to make sure the reel face was screwed back in place real good.(the face has a crack in it and if cross threaded will just snap back off.
There it all went into about 6 feet of water and 15 feet out...The Demise of the Zebco 202.
I had another spear one in my back-pack but I was so urrrr upset I just packed up and left.
I did manage to hike up the trail just behind the campground and it felt good to get out there although it was a bit humid and I still had my heavy under-shirt on so I after the 4 mile walk with a 2500 ft elevation I was prety wet with sweat.
I did manage a few picts so enjoy.
Gerry
Attached Thumbnails
My_Campground.JPG  
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Gerry
Sure wish I was there instead of at work. Been over and back the Kangamangus a number of times and generally just wondered around your area. Beautiful. (my sister-in-law lived in Sanford Me - not that far away and we would roam around with them)
I heard the Old Man in the Mountain fell? Did they repair it?
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Gerry
Sure wish I was there instead of at work. Been over and back the Kangamangus a number of times and generally just wondered around your area. Beautiful. (my sister-in-law lived in Sanford Me - not that far away and we would roam around with them)
I heard the Old Man in the Mountain fell? Did they repair it?
Yea, the Old Man came down a few years back, during a rain storm, in the night.
All of us who have had a chance to see this wonder will always remember it and the plaques down around profile lake in Franconia Notch tells all about it.
Back in the 70's I had climbed up on Canon Ledges and sat upon the Old Mans for-head and enjoyed the view below.
It was a wonder that the Old Man lasted as long as he did because even back then he was held together with turn-buckle stapples and fiberglass rain gutters to devert water from cracks behind the overhangs.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote