Theft deterrent ideas - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #21

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
I hate to sound naive, but are you talking about theft security in campgrounds? Is it really necessary? Where we live (on an island) theft is not a real issue because there are only certain times anyone can leave (ie, when the ferry is running). It's also not uncommon for people to leave the keys in their vehicles at stores or at home.
One of my favourite images is someone putting "The Club" on their steering wheel while the car was on the ferry. There's somewhere someone will take it?
But I wasn't aware that campgrounds are so insecure.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I hate to sound naive, but are you talking about theft security in campgrounds? Is it really necessary? Where we live (on an island) theft is not a real issue because there are only certain times anyone can leave (ie, when the ferry is running). It's also not uncommon for people to leave the keys in their vehicles at stores or at home.
One of my favourite images is someone putting "The Club" on their steering wheel while the car was on the ferry. There's somewhere someone will take it?
But I wasn't aware that campgrounds are so insecure.
cheers
Ian
I would only do that at home with security if i was inclined. When on the road if the area i am to stay does not feel good i move on. I really am not to concerned to much.

A "CLUB" on steering wheel while on ferry. Thats a good one.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #23

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Smile

Quote:
I hate to sound naive, but are you talking about theft security in campgrounds?
For me, it's all about developing a habit. The most important thing is to have my trailer secure while it's in storage. But, like putting "The Club" on my steering wheel (Which I also do), engaging the locks on the trailer is a do-it-every-single-time habit.

The [b]ONE time I did not install the club on my car was when I dropped it off overnight in front of my then-mechanic's garage for early morning service the next morning. I got a phone call the next morning telling me it had been stolen.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #24

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I once saw a guy park his car at the post office and use his key to lock the door.

It was a convertible with the top down.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #25

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
I've heard of trailers being stolen by crooks using large bolts in place of a ball to bypass the standard coupler lock. A buddy's boat was stolen by switching out the bolt on coupler. Obviously, safety chains have been used to tow trailers away. A recent theft I've heard of was the use of a chainsaw to cut an outboard from a boat, OUCH!

Anti-theft devices are really only deterrents. A hacksaw is all that is needed to get around a club. I still use two coupler locks on each of my trailers but if they really want it they'll get it. I know it's only piece of mind but at least my trailers aren't sitting at the end of the driveway with free signs on them.

To me, insurance is worth the money over complicated security devices. Not only would it be useful if your camper was stolen but if it was damaged from a storm it would be covered. Here, our homeowners wouldn't cover it.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:42 AM   #26

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Not to make lite on the whole subject and around here in Maine we do not worry too much about the problem but in the summer time I leave the TV parked infront to the my Boler and while camping I make friends with my neighbors and if anything fishy goes on I hope they will see it while I am gone.
Now in the winter I need not worry at all as good old Mother Nature keeps all thieves away.
She even supplies a disguise for me. (Yes that is my Boler, Lady-Bug)
As said not to make lite of the problem but I need some relieve from all the stress this winter and wondering if I will be able to keep the May 1st reservations for clean up weekends.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Attached Thumbnails
Boler_Gone.JPG  
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote