Theft deterrent ideas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
<span style="color:#800080"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Moderator's note: This topic originally formed part of the thread about a rather unique, but stolen, Casita. (This Casita is unusual because it was made in Backus, MN.) The discussion on theft deterrent ideas was lost there, and the focus on the actual theft was also dropped. Hopefully the subjects are better served by having their own threads.</span>
</span>

Quote:
Rick Anderson
Did you have a lock on the trailer hitch? Was it, stored outside? What day of the week was it stolen? Just curious on how I should keep mine safe.
I did have a lock on the hitch, but that didn't stop them. I kept it in my driveway by the garage outside. We do have an alley garage so it was partially hidden from view. Still, we have neihbors on either side of the alley and it was taken during the week in the daytime. It took a lot of guts! I think the safest bet would be to block it up and take the wheels off.
Rick
Rick Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 85 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
SHAME ON THEM!!!! Sorry to hear about the theft. Being a new "egg" owner myself, I wondered what precautions I should take. The amount of curiosity that arose just having my 1977 13' Scamp parked in the driveway for 3 days was AMAZING. Several inquires to purchase AND 2 notes left on the door when I was not home. I will be much more careful in the future. Even though I am in Appleton, Wisconsin, I will keep my eyes peeled.
I am sorry to hear about the theft as well, should get the hitch lock back on there. It is the only item in my yard that someone has left a note looking to purchase (wish they had done that with the old cars I had). Currently, mine is chained to the snowblower (or other way around), guess if someone wanted either one, they would then have a bonus of the other
Shawn Englehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp
I hope you are able to locate it. I've been wondering the best way to secure mine as well. Blocking it and pulling the wheels isn't an option as its always camping season here. After reading this thread I decided to buy THIS today. I'll be a bit more relaxed while I am away from home now since mine is in the sideyard and easily accessable.
Jonathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 1989 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I was wondering if a person could put those car wheel locks on. Maybe one on each wheel. And a hitch lock, and chain it to something. I hate thieves.
SharonNDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I was wondering if a person could put those car wheel locks on. Maybe one on each wheel. And a hitch lock, and chain it to something. I hate thieves.
I know someone that owns a Denver Boot (I think thats what you are talking about) They swear by it. Problem is that they sell for hundreds of dollars. My father recommended setting a metal post in the ground with a ball on top then hitching to it with a lock. I think that anything that will slow them down would help. I'm going to use the hitch lock I mentioned in my last post as well as the post lock that goes through the latch. If they get through that and are still able to haul it away...I figure they have earned it.
Jonathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I do three things to help secure my trailer. I put a hitch lock in the receiver, remove the safety chains, and padlock a chain around the axle and through one wheel. Of course, a determined thief can overcome all this but it would take time. I think the ultimate would be to chain the frame to a ground anchor but I've not taken that step yet.

Tom Trostel
Old 02-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
I do three things to help secure my trailer. I put a hitch lock in the receiver, remove the safety chains, and padlock a chain around the axle and through one wheel. Of course, a determined thief can overcome all this but it would take time. I think the ultimate would be to chain the frame to a ground anchor but I've not taken that step yet.

Tom Trostel
I have a bar that goes onto the lug nut and wraps around behind the wheel with a supposedly hard to cut lock. I bought it thru cabelas and a simple master lock through the hitch coupler. i hope that is enough to at least trhem down for a bit. if they really want my trailer they will most likely find a way to get it.
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Out goose-neck hitch Scamp 5th wheel setup is unusual enough that I barely even worry about someone having the right hitch to hook up to our trailer, let alone steal it, but our plans do include getting a smaller trailer someday.

When we do get our small trailer I'll buy a car-alarm tilt/motion sensor and descretely wire it in to the brakes with its own, independent battery supply and a concealed on/off switch. When turned on the brakes will lock before the trailer even moves. The system banks on the crook not being smart enough to recognize that the electric brakes are locking the axle and not some other problem, but I suppose I could add in a car alarm siren that would draw unwanted attention to the theif's activities. Total cost . . . probably $50-$75.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I think the ultimate would be to chain the frame to a ground anchor but I've not taken that step yet.
That's what I would do first if parked beside home. Get a big trailer anchor from home despot and one of those monster motorcycle cables with a serious, warranted lock. Screw the anchor into the ground (angled away from road) and lock the frame to the anchor. Take photo for warranty.

The problem with any kind of coupler lock is that all they have to do is use your safety chains to attach it to their hitch and drive away.

Alternative is a steel pipe or piece of rebar with hole at each end for padlock. Slip through wheels and lock. Portable.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
If they used my safety chains they might get a real surprise.
I really should replace them this year. Note to self, replace chains or cables.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I use heavy chain and lock the wheels to the axle brackets on the frame.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 82 Burro 13 ft
i'm planning to design some kind of theft deterrent wheel-locking device into my frame/axle...
i might even think of making some kind of remote GPS tracking chip/device that would be wired into the solar panel, so that i could locate it if it was stolen...
--- steven
steven jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #13
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#800080">Find the topic from which this was split here: Stolen 1981 13' Casita.</span></span>
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #14

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
A lock will only slow them down. (All locks can be picked or cut very easy)
A alarm is much better at getting them to leave. Something like a tilt alarm.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
I bought one of these.

http://www.trailerlock.com/
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
I bought one of these.

http://www.trailerlock.com/
I have one of those. Do you use it?
I found that I used it a few times but then found it just too much trouble to use.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Byron, I use it when "necessary"-- a judgment based on my gut-feeling for a particular situation. Like you, I find it a bit of trouble to hook up. The wheel is always in the wrong position! But I just lift up that side of the trailer with one hand and spin the wheel to the correct spot with the other. :^0

I also use ball- and hitch-locks.
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #18

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I purchased some plastic covered wire rope (Cable) at Home Depot and Lowes along with the heavy aluminum crimp(s) and have a crimper and made cables that secure the LP tanks, LP low fuel devices, Battery and other stuff to the camper frame using a matched set of brass padlocks.

The cable is so strong that it requires me to use a bolt cutter to cut.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Byron, I use it when "necessary"-- a judgment based on my gut-feeling for a particular situation. Like you, I find it a bit of trouble to hook up. The wheel is always in the wrong position! But I just lift up that side of the trailer with one hand and spin the wheel to the correct spot with the other. :^0

I also use ball- and hitch-locks.
When camping my BAL leveler provides some tow away protection. I use it even when the site it level. Snug it up against the tire and it makes a great chock and some tow away protection. I also use a hitch lock, one that goes where the ball goes.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #20

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
When camping my BAL leveler provides some tow away protection. I use it even when the site it level. Snug it up against the tire and it makes a great chock and some tow away protection. I also use a hitch lock, one that goes where the ball goes.
Having double axles provides a good way to immobilize the trailer. A tire locking chock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hub_caps.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	11805

I have 2 locks on the hitch. A coupler lock, and a padlock to lock the bail closed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer_Hitch.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	11806