**-- Theft WARNING --** - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #15
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe

Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Heading should be Theft WARNING

This was sent to me from a friend

What will they think of next!

I approached my truck from the passenger side to place my computer bag in the front passenger seat. As I reached to open the door I noticed there was a hole right under my door handle. My first thought was, "someone has shot my truck !" I began to think about it and inspect it a little closer and the "light" slowly began to come on. I phoned my friend who owns a body shop and asked if he had any vehicles with damage to the doors that looked like a bullet hole. He replied, "I see it all the time." Thieves have a punch and place it right under the door handle, knock a hole through, reach in and unlock it, just as if they have a key. No alarms, broken glass or anything.

Attachment 37012

I then placed a call to my insurance agent and explained the scenario to him. I was puzzled that they left my GPS and all other belongings. Here is where it gets scary ! "Oh no, he said, they want the break-in to be so subtle that you don't even realize it. They look at your GPS to see where "home" is. Now they know what you drive, go to your home, and if your vehicle isn't there they assume you aren't and break into your home." He went on to say they will even leave a purse or wallet and only take one or two credit cards. By the time you realize there has been a theft, they may have already had a couple days or more to use them.

I didn't realize my situation for two full days! They even gave me the courtesy of re-locking my doors for me

What Can You Do

Periodically walk around your car, daily if you are in a shopping center or other parking areas.
Report thefts immediately. Your bank w/missing check numbers, your credit card agencies, police, and insurance companies, etc
Never program your home in your GPS. Use an address close to yours such as a business.

Never Put the GPS "Home" as your house. I always use the Service Station where I usually buy Gas.

If you're out of town and use the GPS to get home, .... it'll get you close enough to find your way the last little bit.

LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #16
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I always take "Snopes" with the proverbial 'grain of salt', as I have caught them in the wrong too often. They do only what any savvy online user can do - back-check using Google, local newspapers (if the subject gives a location), etc.
This is one case where it's too bad they are correct! Yet another thing to keep in mind in our daily travels.

LanceRinFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #17
Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
I have had a car broken into using this method. A co-worker mentioned that some models of Mazdas will unlock if you give them a good swift kick in the door right below the door handle on the drivers side apparently his sister no longer bothers to lock her car because the drivers door looks like the car's been in a demo derby.
I leave nothing with personal info in the car, I cary my insurance card and registration in my wallet with my DL.

AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote