There Are More MFG Campers Than I Knew! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
There Are More MFG Campers Than I Knew!

Or than are listed on the FiberglassRV Home page!

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I just came across a Trailer Life 'roundup' of fiberglass trailers,

Fun with Fiberglass

currently being made. It includes such oddities as the Dub Box (molded from a VW camper bus), and the Happier Camper, which gets the hands-down award for ingenuity; the article says, "Think Legos."

They did leave out the ParkLiner, which has resumed production, and the Lil Snoozy, but they did include the Egg Camper, which is currently on hiatus. Go figure.

/Mr Lynn
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
That's a fun article.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Published in December, before Parkliner was restarted under new ownership, which explains the omission And I believe EggCamper normally shuts down in the winter.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There are tens upon tens of orphaned all-molded-towable manufacturers too. I often encourage those that are looking to buy to look at the list on the home page to make themselves knowledgeable about former builders. It would be sad to see a local sale for a "Liberty" and not know it may be precisely what someone wants, but doesn't recognize that name: FiberglassRV Home Page
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There are tens upon tens of orphaned all-molded-towable manufacturers too. I often encourage those that are looking to buy to look at the list on the home page to make themselves knowledgeable about former builders. It would be sad to see a local sale for a "Liberty" and not know it may be precisely what someone wants, but doesn't recognize that name: FiberglassRV Home Page
Good point, Donna, but to be fair, the article was focused on current manufacturers.

I was surprised there were some that are not on the Home Page.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Old 04-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
...I was surprised there were some that are not on the Home Page...
I believe the moderators have mentioned that the software no longer supports updates to the home page, so it's essentially frozen in time. I don't recall if they said anything about the "Manufacturers" tab at the top of the forums page. The two you mentioned, Happier Camper and Dub Box, are quite new to the field. But you can be assured there have been many conversations about both. Beyond those two, have you heard of Armadillo, a Canadian maker of semi-custom 13'ers using old Lil Bigfoot molds? Or Relic, a US-based start-up making semi-custom 13'ers using 50's/60's styled molds that never made it to production and came up for sale on eBay?

Lots of interesting things happening in the world of molded fiberglass. This site is primarily a platform for discussions, not a molded fiberglass encyclopedia, nor a trade publication like Trailer Life. I've only been active for a little more than two years, but I've learned a ton just by reading and asking questions.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:39 PM   #7

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
. . . Lots of interesting things happening in the world of molded fiberglass. This site is primarily a platform for discussions, not a molded fiberglass encyclopedia, nor a trade publication like Trailer Life. I've only been active for a little more than two years, but I've learned a ton just by reading and asking questions.
Well, excuse me! I'm new here, and when I first saw it, thought the list on the Home page was impressive, if not encyclopedic. Sorry to hear they can't update it—I'll bet there are knowledgeable members of this group who could help remedy that. It's a useful reference, especially for newbies, as Donna pointed out.

/Mr Lynn

Old 04-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Well, excuse me! I'm new here, and when I first saw it, thought the list on the Home page was impressive, if not encyclopedic. Sorry to hear they can't update it—I'll bet there are knowledgeable members of this group who could help remedy that. It's a useful reference, especially for newbies, as Donna pointed out.

/Mr Lynn
There's a ton of information in the archives and lots of knowledgeable, kind members here willing to answer questions and help in many ways. It really is too bad the home page can't be updated, but it is what it is... that's why the rest of us standby with information to assist
Old 04-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #9

Massachusetts
". . . but it is what it is"

My least favorite expression; too often an admission of defeat.

/Mr Lynn

Old 04-27-2016, 07:38 PM   #10

Quote:

/Mr Lynn
Unfortunately that's just what it is when it comes to the home page... sigh. BUT, they could simply do away with it and everyone always comes to the forums... like at least one other all-molded towable site I know about. Then all those orphan trailer names on the home page would be history...
Old 04-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #11

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Unfortunately that's just what it is when it comes to the home page... sigh. BUT, they could simply do away with it and everyone always comes to the forums... like at least one other all-molded towable site I know about. Then all those orphan trailer names on the home page would be history...
Are you a moderator/administrator? Why not put out a call for some IT/Web Design folks who can tell you how to edit the Home page? It can't be rocket science.

This is off-topic of course. I just posted the article because I thought it was interesting to hear of MFG campers that I didn't know about. Imagine if the Happier Campers approach were taken to larger campers!

/Mr Lynn

Old 04-27-2016, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Are you a moderator/administrator? Why not put out a call for some IT/Web Design folks who can tell you how to edit the Home page? It can't be rocket science.
Once upon a time I was a moderator, then an administrator here on FiberglassRV. No more, just a member.

Since this is now a for-profit website, I'm sure Social Knowledge is handling this site just the way they prefer. They own more than 50 web forums.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #13

Massachusetts
I wasn't aware that this forum was owned by a. . . forum conglomerate?

Anyway, there are presumably moderators. Perhaps one could tell us whether it's possible to edit the Home page of this forum, to include more MFG manufacturers (past and present). It seems unlikely that any page is fixed in stone; maybe it just takes someone to assume the role (and responsibility) of editor.

/Mr Lynn

Old 04-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I presume, Mr. Lynn, you are volunteering?z
Old 04-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #15

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I presume, Mr. Lynn, you are volunteering?z
Actually, if I were in a position to do so, I might. But I am a complete novice when it comes to molded fiberglass campers. I only started looking at camping trailers a month ago. Actually, the first one that caught my eye (I started looking for non-traditional RVs, without all the frills and suburban-home accoutrements) was a big, heavy trailer made in the image of western sheep camps. Take a look at these:

Timberline Range Camps - Sheep Camps, Sheep Wagons

These rustic campers actually have wood stoves in them! Their lower-end models (one is called 'Escape', which is confusing here) seem road-worthy, though not aerodynamic at all. I would really love one! Someday. . .

Then I came across the Oliver, which with its double-hull really intrigued me, until I contacted them and learned how much they cost. That led me to this site.

So I am just a newbie; you want someone with the deep knowledge of the many hundreds of threads and the history of MFG campers that Jon of AZ speaks about. I'm just dipping my toe in the water, and may not even end up with one (we just got a 'tour' of a 2000 Scamp 16, and thought it too small; we're going to see a Casita 17 this Sunday). But this is a great forum, and I'm delighted to have found it.

BTW, at some point last year I did come across a link to a genuinely egg-shaped British camper that might be new to some of you, the Barefoot Caravan:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/ba...mpaign=highppv

/Mr Lynn

Old 04-28-2016, 09:16 AM   #16

Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
Washington
Thanks for sharing. That's a great article for the fiberglass community.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #17

Name: Henry
Trailer: Intend to buy one day.
Florida
Quote:

/Mr Lynn
Or maybe an entreaty for one to recognize reality. Often a belated recognition, to be sure, but at least and at last...an acceptance of something that exists.
Henry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #18

Massachusetts
When I started this thread, I was unaware that the Happier Camper folks had started what has become a long-running thread on their exciting little product:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tos-68241.html

/Mr Lynn